football thread No11

Man City and Chelsea seem to struggle against weaker sides.
Words of wisdom, my young padawan brahmin.

Let's see how all these games in hand play against Citeh, they will become a streak, one way or another.

The winner would take the FA cup place in the Europa League. A cup winners' spot is specially assigned and takes priority over all other Europa League spots.

In the English football system, the winner of the FA Cup used to play the Cup Winners' Cup, now they get a spot for the UEFA Cup/Europa League. If they've already qualified for the European Cup/Champions League by winning it or by their league position, then the losers get the EL spot, if they themselves haven't also qualified for the Champions League, in which case the spot is awarded by league position.

Now, if you win the League Cup, you get an automatic EL berth, but you don't get one by losing the League Cup.

I'm not sure how the Fair Play EL berths are awarded.

FIFA are still trying to sell over three hundred thousand tickets for the WC… what the hell? You should've sold them all over the neighbouring countries from the start, instead of trying to peddle them to tourists for bazillions of dollars! :mad:

Arsenal played quite well, but they should have started the game playing like they did on the 2nd half. After Podolski's goal, it was a whole new game. Bayern should really practice their penalty kicks; missed penalties in the past have cost them dearly...

They pressed higher in the second half, but they couldn't have done that in the first half. They needed to wait until Bayern were a bit tired and a bit more complacent. They couldn't have sustained that level of pressing the whole match. They should have switched the play from wing to wing a bit more, to nullify Bayern's excellent press and turn it into acres of space. I assume that's why Cazorla was played in the centre with Arteta at the start, rather than the wing or behind Giroud, cos he can move out to either wing and switch it (he's very good at that). Didn't work though :(

The Ox was immense.

Sent from a phone, apols for any mistakes.

Agree on your Ox assessment Mise. Bayern simply couldn't get near him.

I thought Arsenal's game plan was good. Shut up shop for 45 minutes and than try and take advantage of the space/tiredness/mistakes in the last 45.

After the Podolski cracker Bayern were reeling, Arsenal were all over them for 5-10 minutes. That was the critical part of the game. If Arsenal got another, anything could have happened.

Still, credit to Bayern they were exceptional as usual. I do hate seeing Robben, Manzukic, Martinez going down so softly though. Diving is a typical Guardiola feature.

It seems that I was the only one watching Atlético Madrid destroy Milan… even though Milan almost went 2-1 up before Arda Turan scored. Atlético Madrid v. Bayern would be a very interesting tie.
Arsenal played reasonably well tonight, but too much to make up from the first leg against a team as good as Bayern.
Last year's comment repeated again!

What would happen if Arsenal actually bothered to come first in their group so they could avoid the nastier sides and also play the return leg at home?
Still, credit to Bayern they were exceptional as usual. I do hate seeing Robben, Manzukic, Martinez going down so softly though. Diving is a typical Guardiola feature.
I think they do it to avoid injuries: instead of trying to force their way through, they just drop. Robben in particular has always been a bit of a diver though.

Well, the refereeing at the Camp Nou was of such low quality that the game should be replayed and the refs fired… one goal very wrongly disallowed, one penalty not given to Citeh and the ensuing sending-off of Zabaleta… wtf.

It would also have been very interesting if a certain German hadn't decided to emulate Özil and had scored his penalty in Paris… 2-1 away and it'd've been game on.

Well, the refereeing at the Camp Nou was of such low quality that the game should be replayed and the refs fired… one goal very wrongly disallowed, one penalty not given to Citeh and the ensuing sending-off of Zabaleta… wtf.

It would also have been very interesting if a certain German hadn't decided to emulate Özil and had scored his penalty in Paris… 2-1 away and it'd've been game on.

One penalty also not given to Barcelona. And the Zabaleta red card was probably because he was screaming at the ref, so it's sort of deserved.

He wouldn't've been screaming if the obvious penalty which was obvious had been awarded.

I don't recall any clear penalties for Barça, but there was so much misrefereeing in general that I might have missed it among the débâcle.

Uli Höneß to be jailed for three and a half years! ZOMG!

I'm very happy United got through. Now, lets pray they get a nice trip to the Allianz arena. I will love to see the look on wee davey moyes face when Bayern slaughter'em.

Van Persie was simply superb today. And the Olympiakos keeper failed to properly place his men on the barrier on that free-kick.

GLOOOOOOOOORY, GLOOOOOORY MAN UNIIIIIIIIITED!
Or, how the hell did they pull that one off? Discuss.
They were up against the weakest opposition possible, at home, and their reputation was in the way. Olympiakos were scared, and the lack of competition at home hurts them a lot.

Top Bottom