General Politics the second: But what is politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(b) whether such deniability rates arise
automatically from would be Black borrowers having lower or less secure incomes or more often applying for loans for higher risk properties.
Firstly: lol.

But in this stretched hypothetical, perhaps consider what a majority white population defines as "high risk".

I am not sure what the relevance of considering that would be.

That is because the majority of the white population do not routinely undertake
risk assessments regarding other peoples' potential property purchases.

I am aware that lenders are considered to have historically overstated risks in black neighbourhoods in the USA.
However I do not know whether that is still the case for the time being covered by the linked news article.

There is a sort of logic chain: black people are poorer so they buy poorer quality property that is logically
at higher risk. Now the validity of that logic and if valid assigning numerics to it is another matter.

It is an interesting list, but some of the items do make me wonder about the chain of causality.

For instance I had look at the news item for "Mortgage denial rate for Black borrowers is twice that of overall population, report finds"

It is unclear to me if this is (a) systematic discrimination by the mortgage industry in that after taking other things into account i.e. where all
circumstances are otherwise equal, Black would be borrowers were having higher deniability rates or (b) whether such deniability rates arise
automatically from would be Black borrowers having lower or less secure incomes or more often applying for loans for higher risk properties.
I think the short answer is "both." Every article I posted is barely the tip of an iceberg, and sometimes what looks like 2 entirely different icebergs can be connected below the water line. That's why terms like "systemic" and "intersectional" can be useful.

There was a scene in Selma (2014), which I watched recently, in which Dr. King is explaining to President Johnson how the county registars' refusals to register Black voters was contributing to racist outcomes in the criminal justice system: To serve on a jury, you had to be a registered voter. I have no idea whether this conversation took place, irl, but I thought it was a very neat illustration of systemic racism. It also shows us an example of your (b) here: The lawyers and judges involved in any particular criminal case had their hands tied when it came to jury selection, because Black residents were excluded from the jury pool before it ever reached the courts. If every court officer in the room - the judge, the prosecutor, and the defense attorney - was a hellbent-for-leather Black Panther activist, they still wouldn't have had any choice but to empanel an all-White jury.

It is unclear to me if this is (a) systematic discrimination by the mortgage industry in that after taking other things into account i.e. where all
circumstances are otherwise equal, Black would be borrowers were having higher deniability rates or (b) whether such deniability rates arise

Just wait till you hear about redlining…

But the quick answer is yes: white mortgage adjusters in the 20th century designed a system whereby black renters and homeowners were very intentionally systematically denied mortgages, and then white urban planners designed freeway routes and wrote “slum clearance” ordinances which, (in some cases unintentionally, and in some (many) cases very very very intentionally) selected black neighborhoods for their freeway routes and “urban renewal” plans. Then the courts said “you gotta get rid of these racist rules,” and now we have a system where mortgage approval isn’t necessarily contingent on neighborhood makeup, but which disproportionately denies black applicants who fail to meet income and credit history requirements. Hmmmmm…🤔

Just wait till you hear about redlining…

But the quick answer is yes: white mortgage adjusters in the 20th century designed a system whereby black renters and homeowners were very intentionally systematically denied mortgages, and then white urban planners designed freeway routes and wrote “slum clearance” ordinances which, (in some cases unintentionally, and in some (many) cases very very very intentionally) selected black neighborhoods for their freeway routes and “urban renewal” plans. Then the courts said “you gotta get rid of these racist rules,” and now we have a system where mortgage approval isn’t necessarily contingent on neighborhood makeup, but which disproportionately denies black applicants who fail to meet income and credit history requirements. Hmmmmm…🤔
There was a literal wall built in Detroit, parts of which I think are still there.

Heard about redlining, and it is the 21st century now.

In the UK which is more densely populated than the USA, urban renewal
for economic reasons targets poorer communities that are less white today.

My previous division into (a) and (b) is also relevant to remedial action in that
current mortgage lenders may be charged to cease current discrimination,
but cannot really be expected to do that much regarding what is old history.

There was a literal wall built in Detroit, parts of which I think are still there.

Every major us interstate artery has this history. I-5 here in Seattle runs straight through the lowlands between Capitol Hill and First Hill, severing a historically black neighborhood. Chicago’s Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90) runs right through the Black Belt of Chicago. And of course in New York, Robert Moses is infamous for spending a lifetime doing this, most notoriously in the planning and construction of I-95 through the Bronx. Those are just some quick examples that I’m familiar with, but like I said, pick any major urban center in the US, identify the neighborhoods the interstate spurs run through, look up the urban history of that neighborhood and…yep that’s a historically black or Latino neighborhood.

Dr. King is explaining to President Johnson how the county registars' refusals to register Black voters was contributing to racist outcomes in the criminal justice system:
I'm pretty sure Landslide Lyndon had a good understanding of how to abuse voter registration.

The wilds are dangerous outside the nurturing embrace of Cleveland.

The wilds are dangerous outside the nurturing embrace of Cleveland.
This proves you somewhat wrong.

You'll never know what lurks outside of Ohio unless you come. And let's say, you won't be able to tell anyone after you go to Ohio.

Down in Ohio
Swag like Ohio
Down in Ohio
Swag like Ohio

Don't slow down in East Cleveland or. You'll. Die!- Wait, wrong reference. :hmm:

This proves you somewhat wrong.

You'll never know what lurks outside of Ohio unless you come. And let's say, you won't be able to tell anyone after you go to Ohio.

Down in Ohio
Swag like Ohio
Down in Ohio
Swag like Ohio
Gonna have to link me a video younger than you are broski.

Gonna have to link me a video younger than you are broski.
I was born 1 month and 3 days (3/28) before the video was created. Also, my father nurtured me in the culture of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, so I do know some of your oldie stuff (alongside living without a phone).

Definitely not Midwestern. It's not negativity, it's friendly passive aggressiveness!

Definitely not Midwestern. It's not negativity, it's friendly passive aggressiveness!
Inconceivable! (I'm actually from Texas, I used Cleveland and Ohio because why not. Ohio is hilarious on its own and Cleveland only tops that.)

At least they know how to deal with ice...

>.>
<.<
>.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom