• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Georgian-Russian War: the Western response

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he ignores the govt? with their majority in parliament, how does he get elected?

It's messy. To get elected in the parliament, you need more votes than to simply set up a government.

Only one party out of three which formed the government supported Klaus as it's candidate, and that party did so only to get rid of him.

As I said, Czech political folklore.

It's messy. To get elected in the parliament, you need more votes than to simply set up a government.

Only one party out of three which formed the government supported Klaus as it's candidate, and that party did so only to get rid of him.

As I said, Czech political folklore.
:lol::lol::lol: Is their a Czech equivalent of the phrase "strainin to do some explainin"?

Israelis fired the first shots in the 6-days war too, but they were hardly the aggressors. They reacted to the thread posed by their neigbours.

Some moder israeli historians wouldn't agree with you, and I'm sure history will be further revised on that point as more archives become public...

:lol::lol::lol: Is their a Czech equivalent of the phrase "strainin to do some explainin"?

Probably, I don't think I understand exactly what you mean. Simply put, the election procedure is very complicated and the political alliances are quite different during this election than normally. Defections of MPs from one camp into another are quite common, especially when the vote is secret.

The fact he got elected by no means tells that he has the same opinion as the government. Moreover, his term is 5 years, so he's gonna be there long after this government is gone.

If you think you kinda got me there, you're wrong as always. Learn something about the role of the president in our constitutional order, he's got no right to dictate the foreign policy. His opinion, personal opinion I might add, is irrelevant.

Some moder israeli historians wouldn't agree with you, and I'm sure history will be further revised on that point as more archives become public...

Sure, it will probably finally prove that the Arabs were preparing to crush Israel once and for all. They certainly made it look like that, so one can hardly blame the Israelis for believing it.

It is now confirmed through Dana Rohrbacher by American intelligence that the war was started by Georgia.

It is now confirmed through Dana Rohrbacher by American intelligence that the war was started by Georgia.
Well Russia has friends in the US congress obviously. Apparently what she is reported as saying is:
"The Russians are right! We're wrong! Georgia started it, the
Russians ended it," Rep. Dana Rohrbacher, a California Republican, told
Assistant Secretary of State Dan Fried, who testified on administration
policy to both the Senate panel and the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
Rohrbacher said the situation with Georgia's breakaway regions was
clearly analagous to Kosovo, which was part of Serbia until it declared
independence in February with U.S. support. For U.S. officials to keep
saying there was no correlation "undermines our credibility," he said.
And she's a congresswoman, not really part of the US intelligence community. It's not really an official US confirmation of the Russian version of events.

The news source I used mentions that she based her opinion on intelligence reports.

Moderator Action: Open a new thread due to length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom