Guess the map 13: Mercator maps are cool, actually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it some resource extraction? Is there a particular reason for the choice of 200 as the denominator?

Is it some resource extraction?

No.

Is there a particular reason for the choice of 200 as the denominator?

UAE is the highest on this map with 209, and I tried to get a decent spread of the colors. I have data for Hong Kong at 248 and Macao (only from 2016) at 316, but both are not drawn on the map, so I cut the the scale at 210.

map3.png

Oh and here is the map again (with New Zealand!)

Dating app use?

Android and/or ios installs? Is Costa Rica a hotbed of mobile telephony I wonder?

Windows installs, including pirate?

It cannot be mobile phone contracts can it?

It cannot be mobile phone contracts can it?

It is!

Technically, it is mobile phone subscriptions per 100 people, which includes active pre-paid subscriptions as well. And there can be multiple subscriptions covered by one contract.

The richest countries tend to have a good landline network, so they tend to rely less on mobile phones and some less rich countries have essentially skipped the landline step and have much higher mobile phone usage.

But I am not sure what some of these countries are doing with 2 mobile phone subscriptions per person (although foreigners might have a subscription, but not count towards the population). And at one point, higher numbers are not necessarily better, because I do not want to keep track of 5 different phone numbers and subscriptions.

Your turn.

Attachments

• sixth_normal_log.png
    sixth_normal_log.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I had to look up that the red spot is equatorial guinea (or however you write that...).
mmhh... infectious diseases again?
No, but it has similarities. As you can probably gather from the name and the key, I have applied a log transform to the value. Without that Equatorial Guinea was red and the whole rest of the world was blue.

Is it related to inequality?

Some kleptocracy index?
Not a direct measure of kleptocracy or anything like that. I think that main causative effects on the actual measure are probably inequality and responsibility / corruptness of the states.

Any connection to species and extinction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom