Halo 3 Leads Kid to Killing Parents

Violent video games need to be banned. Hillary was right. We live in a society where shooting people and speeding cars and stealing and drug dealing are glorified. There's something seriously wrong here.

Violent video games need to be banned. Hillary was right. We live in a society where shooting people and speeding cars and stealing and drug dealing are glorified. There's something seriously wrong here.
I hate to break it to you Bast, but there was this thing called the Crusades, it dragged on for a hundred years, and it was very violent. And this was before violent video games were invented.

I agree with you that our society has a hell of a lot of problems, but violent games aren't one of them. They're a symptom of the problems, not the cause.

No.

1: Hillary is not right

2: People are fascinated by shooting and fast cars because it's something they can't do. It's escapism and it's gone on for about... oh, I dunno, forever.

Bast, all the murder King David did was pretty glorified, too.

Bast, all the murder King David did was pretty glorified, too.

And look where it has lead us! :run:

Seriously, while I do not think that first person shooters etc should be banned (though I personally find them stupid and rarely play any), violence in books, movies, video games etc comes from society while, indeed causing and enforcing these traits within society in turn. It is a catch 22.

Seriously, while I do not think that first person shooters etc should be banned (though I personally find them stupid and rarely play any), violence in books, movies, video games etc comes from society while, indeed causing and enforcing these traits within society in turn. It is a catch 22.
I hereby offer a solution: Ban society. Anarchy's working great in Greece now, right?

The kid should be tried as an adult. Can't see blaming the parents or M$ on this one.

Yes indeed! Now excuse me while I commit genocide on 7 other civilizations.

Yes indeed! Now excuse me while I commit genocide on 7 other civilizations.

:lol:
Well, arguably the difference is that while you probably never get even theoretical option to nuke the hell out of Montezuma, running amok GTA-style is obviously plausible enough to do. At least if you happen to be mentally unstable wacko.

I'm pretty sure Halo 3 takes place in like outer space and there's really stealing or drug dealing. Also, he picked up the gun and shot his parents before he even got to play the damn thing.

This kid had serious personality and psychological disorders. He didnt kill his parent because of Halo3, this just happened to be the trigger. If you were sane to begin with, no video game would drive you to kill your folks.

Obviously he killed his parents because of Halo 2. It's a gateway game.

I'm embarrassed to be aware of this quote, but...

Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid! Movies, books, TV, music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself.

Hillary was wrong. Maybe down there in filter-the-internet-land y'all can ban stuff you don't like, but this is America and we're blessedly free to depict whatever twisted violence and perversion suits our fancy. Yeah, it's pretty messed up that people watch shows like CSI:SVU, it says something terrible about the state of our society, but if that's what the people want, they can have it, goddammit. Ain't the gubmint's business to tell us which expression is acceptable. If we want to be sick freaks, we're going to be sick freaks, thank you very much.

USA #1

I don't think I've ever written "USA #1" before. I'm not sure what's happening to me.

I don't think I've ever written "USA #1" before. I'm not sure what's happening to me.
You're turning into a female VRWCAgent ;)

But it's all good, you don't have to be American to agree with your above post :)

Yes, LucyDuke, you're becoming a Real American.

They don't. That's why child soldiers are illegal. Just because you understand that someone dies when you shoot them doesn't mean you understand the or comprehen the full gravity of the situation. Just because you might know that you could be in prison for a very long time doesn't mean you really understand that. We have laws for a reason. The kid is not an adult, he should not be tried as one. It's not a hard concept.

I'm not argueing that, of course Children should be tried differently. But at the age of 13 most kids should know the full consequences. The reason imo that children 13 and older are tried differentally is because there are quite a few kids who are backward/dumb/are idiots/don't understand. Enless the kid in the OP is one of those, then he certainly understood the consequences. I lived in a house with a 13 year old half a year ago, he and his friends certainly understood the thing, and as normal kids they also made fun of the dumber/******ed kids who i'm betting didn't understood the situation.

Top Bottom