Halo 3 Leads Kid to Killing Parents

I bet it's not true.

This thread has inspired me. Read more of my wisdom, and add your own, here.

Clearly the son is to blame for this. He held the gun, he fired it.

Although, I have to say the fathers shares a small part of the blame himself, since he apparently didn't keep his gun safe enough.

I can't even imagine being in that situation, your own son kills the woman you love and shoots you in the head ... sickening.

I don't know what you mean. Of course society influenced him, but ultimately the kid made the decision himself. Nobody held a gun to his head (huh!). How do you figure he's not to "blame"?
My concern is that people are condemning him in such a way as after he's been labelled and gone to gaol, we'll all forget about this and theres a risk it'll happen again. People will surely be more jaded at the very least.

As aelf wrote....
If we're going to turn away from the fact that we are collectively to blame for the circumstances surrounding the killing, then we're certainly going to get repeat occurrences. Sure, punish the kid, but don't forget to look in the mirror.

He said the next thing he remembers is his son shoving the gun in his hand and saying, "Hey Dad, here's your gun. Take it."

Daniel Petric's lawyers also gave a short opening statement to the judge. They said their client had been under great stress because of a snowboarding accident that resulted in a severe staph infection.

He was homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.

And now he will be Jail bound for far longer, without video games to play.

This may be a little harsh and cold, but what is a minister of God doing with a handgun in the house? Doesn't he believe God would save his family if something unfortunate happened?

Sometimes, in my weaker moments, I wonder if the ensnaring escape video games provide might help foster and facilitate the development of mental problems--exaggerate them or make them more pronounced, if you will.

I still think the kid is psychotic, I don't know what game he would have taken "Close your eyes, I have a surprise for you" from. I just wonder if the games and the lifestyle he formed around them may have helped him become even more detached.

This may be a little harsh and cold, but what is a minister of God doing with a handgun in the house? Doesn't he believe God would save his family if something unfortunate happened?

I'm not sure his beliefs really have much relevance here, and I don't know many Christians or other religious types that think God provides them with a force field that stops bullets and repels misfortune. Maybe I'm taking your post too seriously, though.

Your post is practically a borderline troll. Not every vaguely religious person believes in divine intervention. Do you also expect believers not to lock their doors at night, because God will close out the marauders and thieves? Or not to wear slip-resistant shoes when walking in wintry weather, because God will intervene if you are about to bust your ass on the pavement? Come on, I could just as easily ask atheists why they don't just go around blowing everything to hell and taking whatever they can carry away, since there's no reason for them not to, but I won't, because I'm not a fool.

God helps those that help themselves.

Your post is practically a borderline troll. Not every vaguely religious person believes in divine intervention.

This wasn't a "vagely religious person." It was a minister. I would expect a minister to believe in divine intervention. Maybe he still does, considering he lived while his wife died.

Do you also expect believers not to lock their doors at night, because God will close out the marauders and thieves? Or not to wear slip-resistant shoes when walking in wintry weather, because God will intervene if you are about to bust your ass on the pavement?

Lots of people leave their doors unlocked at night. It's called "the midwest."

We try kids as kids for a reason, you know. They're kids, they don't fully understand all the consequences of their actions, or may not be of the right mind to judge them.

Not that such a thing magically happens at 18, but we have established it as the threshold, though some gain it before, after, or not at all.

Most kids understand such things when they are 13. I certeinly did! (but imo i was ahead of the average kid) If he isn't Mentally ill, then he should be tried as an adult. In such a situation he should understand it in the same way as an adult.

Not every vaguely religious person believes in divine intervention.

No need to be facaetious. It's not as if we don't live in a society where we have no minimum faith, trust and expectation of others' behaviour. Insanity aside, if you behave yourself and follow a few simple rules, people just won't shoot you.

Top Bottom