Halo 3 Leads Kid to Killing Parents

salty mud

Deity
Daniel Petric was so angry that his father would not allow him to play the violent video game Halo 3 that he killed his mother and shot his father, then tried to make it appear to be a murder-suicide, prosecutors told a Lorain County judge this morning in the boy's murder trial.

Petric, now 17, had sneaked out of his house to buy the game. But his parents caught him as he came in with the game and took it from him. His father, Mark, put the game in a lockbox in the parents' closet. He also kept a 9 mm handgun in the box, according to prosecutors.

And the most shocking part...

Mark Petric, who is a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, testified that before the shooting on Oct. 20, 2007, his then-16-year-old son came into the room with a question:

"Would you guys close your eyes," Daniel Petric asked. "I have a surprise for you."
Mark and Susan Petric

Mark Petric said he expected a pleasant surprise. The next thing he knew, his head went numb. He had been shot in the head.

Susan Petric, 43, died of gunshot wound to the head.

What's to blame? The son, parents or the game? Read full link for more details. The kid was obviously mentally ******ed to do a thing like that, but KILLING your mother over a video game? It is simply unbelievable.

Petric, now 17, had sneaked out of his house to buy the game. But his parents caught him as he came in with the game and took it from him.
Well this kid clearly had no friends. I think he had a lot more serious problems and this was just the last straw.

The kid is obviously completely mentally deranged and murderously selfish. My wife would probably have some official psychological diagnosis for him but I just call that "batshiat crazy." Dad is also not so swift considering his "lockbox" didn't really do any kind of "locking."

The game is blameless... he didn't even play it right? If there is some external factor maybe you could blame a cult of material desires gone completely crazy.

You're the real prophet of common sense, at least in this thread.
That's not something I'm prepared to live up to. ;)

Anyway, I can't believe he tried to kill his parents over Halo 3. I mean, come on. There's no game worth killing for but Halo?

That would make a great demotivational poster.
Nothing really says "FAIL!" like a son killing his own parents over a video game.

The downside is, that now some clueless dolts are going to bash video games over this for years to come....

Blame the kid.

Im sorry to be nit picky, but I think the thread title should be changed. Besides it not being grammatically correct, he didnt kill his father, only his mother.

He was homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.

And this is a problem.

:( Must be even harder to know that your wife was killed by your son and you were almost killed by your same own son. :eek:

Edit: my post was directed @Kerozine. :)

Why are people blaming the kid? This is either the fault of bad parenting, a mental illness, or a combination of both.

Top Bottom