Hangover Cures

Phyr_Negator said:
The worst thing to advice. NEVER MIX ALCOCHOL WITH MEDICINE!
I'm talking about hangover cures, Ie, stuff you take when you wake up, 10 hours or more after you had booze.

And even so I'm not recommending it for a common hangover, only for those killer hangovers that don't let you think.

If that killer hangover happened -the more reasons not to take various medicines, unless they are completely based on herbs.

Its hard to find Irn Bru near me but i do agree that it is brilliant!

im as close to Scotland as you can get really and its still only in about 1 out of 5 shops that sell fizzy drinks!

It's been about 6 months since I had one of those hangovers severe enough that I'd rather be dead than endure it. I'm sure alot of you know the kind, where your head is in too much pain to allow you to fall asleep. As for theese I don't really think there is a cure. Only think to do is down three aspirin or Tylenol with copious amounts of water, get an bag of ice for your head and hope that you can fall asleep again.

Hangovers? Coffee, cola, lemons and of course water. And painkillers, lots of painkillers.

I find that, contrary to popular opinion, sleeping with your boots on is the real cause of hangovers.
I get my worst hangovers, when i awaken fully dressed with my boots on and no recollection on how i got home.
So make sure to to undress properly and you should be fine. :)

What really works is diclofenac. It's a heavy painkiller, prescribed after surgery.

In any decent country you can only get it on doctor's advice. too bad...............

First thing in the morning, water, lots of it. If you vomit after drinking water, all the better, you'll get well even quicker.

Never had a hang-over in my life (and I've tested extensively ;)), at worst I feel a little tired the next day. My personal theory is that its got a lot to do with sleep - have only a little and you'll be better than having a lot (this theory is largely baseless :mischief:).

Truronian said:
Never had a hang-over in my life (and I've tested extensively ;)), at worst I feel a little tired the next day. My personal theory is that its got a lot to do with sleep - have only a little and you'll be better than having a lot (this theory is largely baseless :mischief:).

No i have noticed that when i have work the next day- im not hungover but i think this is simply because my lack of sleep means that the hangover hasnt had any time to act!

Do chasers like Ibuprofen or Aspirin before or after drinking help?

The only way to not get a hangover is DON'T DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{|}$~\ said:
The only way to not get a hangover is DON'T DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, technically the only way to not get a hangover is drink sensibly.

Or let your body become so accustomed to alcohol that a hangover is impossible.

BCLG100 said:
No i have noticed that when i have work the next day- im not hungover but i think this is simply because my lack of sleep means that the hangover hasnt had any time to act!

In general I find this is true, but I've also had hangovers creep up on me before going to bed after long drinking sessions where the booze/money has run out early. Guinness and Old Speckled Hen seem to be the main culprits for this though, so it might be more down to them, rather than just being a normal hangover:sad:

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Well, technically the only way to not get a hangover is drink sensibly.

Or let your body become so accustomed to alcohol that a hangover is impossible.

But why? 'Drinking sensibly' means you are not getting drunk and doesn't that negate the reason for drinking? I never drink alcohol so I'm not sure but I do know that alcohol tastes really bad and liquor & pub bought beer is about double the price of healthy juice or milk so what's the reason for drinking if you aren't going to get drunk? I also know getting drunk kills braincells which is one of the many reasons I would never drink alcohol (it's for Bunsen burners and jet fuel), but why remove the one and only 'good' thing people like about drinking - the supposed euphoria of being drunk - and yet keep drinking moderately? It seems like a lose-lose situation cause you have to pay lots of cash to drink a horrible tasting drink which burns your throat only to not get the only possible payoff of a drunk feeling? :confused:

unscratchedfoot said:
But why? 'Drinking sensibly' means you are not getting drunk and doesn't that negate the reason for drinking? I never drink alcohol so I'm not sure but I do know that alcohol tastes really bad and liquor & pub bought beer is about double the price of healthy juice or milk so what's the reason for drinking if you aren't going to get drunk? I also know getting drunk kills braincells which is one of the many reasons I would never drink alcohol (it's for Bunsen burners and jet fuel), but why remove the one and only 'good' thing people like about drinking - the supposed euphoria of being drunk - and yet keep drinking moderately? It seems like a lose-lose situation cause you have to pay lots of cash to drink a horrible tasting drink which burns your throat only to not get the only possible payoff of a drunk feeling? :confused:

I suppose it depends if you like the taste of alcohol, and remember it comes in many different tastes - from beers to lagers to wine to spirits to ales. Are you telling me you drink non-alcoholic drinks simply for the health benefit? I prefer to drink for the taste.

I never drink to get drunk. I'll admit excessive drinking leads to more...interesting nights, but I prefer to use it to unwind, to relax and to enjoy the taste, not to get drunk.

Kan' Sharuminar said:
I suppose it depends if you like the taste of alcohol, and remember it comes in many different tastes - from beers to lagers to wine to spirits to ales. Are you telling me you drink non-alcoholic drinks simply for the health benefit? I prefer to drink for the taste.

I never drink to get drunk. I'll admit excessive drinking leads to more...interesting nights, but I prefer to use it to unwind, to relax and to enjoy the taste, not to get drunk.

So you are saying alcoholic drinks taste good? Okay I admit I don't know about the taste except that it stings and burns. I see in the movies where people gulp down a shot of whiskey or some other hard liquor and they always cringe after and sometimes pass out. Is that an experience worth paying the $4 or so that it costs per hit as well as a nasty slap to the braincells? When I see alcohol being consumed by people, I really question their logical capacity (ditto for smoking) because it seems to be a self-destructive, expensive and painful way of spending free time. Compared to people addicted to PC games which is also an exceedingly unhealthy hobby and costs money, at least games can be fun, and depending upon use, can either deteriorate or in rare cases even stimulate and improve cognitive abilities. The only possible benefit from drinking that I have noticed is in a hard drinking situation you fit in a lot easier with a rowdy drinking crowd than if you weren't drinking, but of course, that's if you desire to hang with the hard drinkers. :)

Now, I dont drink at all, so my advice is just what my friends do.

I am told that in order to prevent hangovers, it helps to drink water not just before you go to bed, but while you are actually drinking. Isnt it dehydration that contributes to the hangover pain? Bring a water bottle with you next time you go out drinking, and take some swigs in between drinks.

I always drank a bottle of gatorade and took a couple advil before going to bed. You might wake up feeling out of it, but the headache was really my only concern, and it took care of that.

Top Bottom