How Have You Changed As A CFC User?

Commodore

Deity
I was looking back at a lot of my old threads and posts, and I realized I have really changed over the course of my time here at CFC. My posts have become more negative and cynical, and it seems like I've just become an all-around meaner poster. I also noticed my beliefs have gone from a semi-coherent ideology to just a series of random thoughts on random issues. Overall, I'm not really happy with how I've changed on this site.

So, how much have you changed in your attitude or posting style since you started posting on CFC?

The more I see you guys argue, the more I realize how stupid arguing politics with people is. I used to want to get into it, but now I just find political arguing silly after being a CFC user.

When I first joined, I was fanatically obsessed with taboo sexual issues.

I've gotten over them since then.

My new fanatical obsession is blue women who hail from a fictional circumbinary planet orbiting two real life suns.

As a poster, I just stick with social threads, questions threads, rants/raves, and hit-and-run opinion posts. I'm fine with it, for the most part.

I'm not too happy with my legacy here though. :undecide:

Other than that, I think I'm still pretty much the same poster I've always been.

Main change was negative in a way, at least trivial and negative, in that i gave up typing serious threads here after a while due to the amount of trolls and idiots around :)

But tsince this is not just about ot, i also created a wealth of positive work, mostly for the civ3 community.

I don't post as much as I used to, because I don't really know anything and what I thought I knew just ends up being wrong, and sometimes whenever I post anything all it does is make people mad. I'm also finding it harder to put thoughts into words.

I used to be way more tolerant of religious freedoms, but as I got older I've found more and more about the culture that I find irritating. As well, I started as neuroscience fanboi, but have since become reasonably expert at the topic.

I was 13 year olds when I first joined and didn't have a coherent worldview at all. Now I still have a lot to learn but I feel reasonable educated.

I've become more tolerant of differing political views, more willing to concede on certain issues.

I've also become less tolerant of bigoted views.

I try to argue less, seeing now that for a lot of people it just ends up in circles and goes nowhere, annoying everyone in the thread along the way. Instead I want a conversation or discussion will people, though it's hard considering there are people in constant argue mode that refuse to discuss, but whatever.

I try and make more thoughtful posts as well, only posting when I actually have something to say. Or terrible overused jokes.

I've also been consciously trying to be less cynical and negative, because people who constantly are end up being extremely predictable and annoy me to no end. I don't know if it worked or not, but I hope I come off as a tad less cynical than most people.

I don't post as much as I used to, because I don't really know anything and what I thought I knew just ends up being wrong, and sometimes whenever I post anything all it does is make people mad. I'm also finding it harder to put thoughts into words.

There's an avatar I haven't seen in a while :D

I've actually become more confident in sharing my opinions in real life since I joined here. Granted, I was 15 when I started here.

Also, reading old posts makes me cringe.

But as useless said, I've become more impatient with stupidity.

I keep on getting more and more awesome.

EDIT: I'm serious. I formed my views on most things around 2006-2008 or so, and since then, every new thing I learn, every new post I make, and ever new argument I hear has made those views more and more robust.

I stopped caring.

When I joined CFC, I was 17 years old, a HS Senior, and didn't know much about anything, except for what I thought I knew about US politics. I turn 25 in a few weeks, and am now a grown up in most senses of the word. I've realized that in many respects, this community that I thought was soooo smart and enlightened really had no idea what they are talking about. In many other respects, I realized that it was *me* who had no idea.

I continue to come because I've made actual friends here, some people are able to provide real insights, and because it's a huge website that is updated quickly. I no longer think that the debates "matter", or that most subjects are even worth debating about.

Let's see

2005 - 2006: complete noob not only to CFC but to the internet and life in general. Posted a lot in the Civ forums, lurked a lot in Off-Topic. Loved the place for being somewhere I can discuss politics anonymously, and I remembered marvelling at how smart you lot were, and hoping to be one of the "cool people" one day.

2007 - 2008: Stopped playing Civ regularly around mid-2008. Posted less and less in the Civ forums and more and more in Colosseum. Became more liberal, more tolerant of different viewpoints, more confident about sharing my opinions, which oscillated between cynicism and idealism. Thought of myself as one of the "cool people" (ha!).

2009 - 2010: Became much more open about myself online. My worldview became much more coherent. Adopted a somewhat more confrontational attitude in OT debates.

2011 - present: lost interest in OT debates, became disillusioned with the quality of OT and CFC at large, though I keep coming back because I feel at home here and there are people here who I like. Became decidedly intolerant of certain posters and their associated styles.

I used to enjoy posting here more.

I like offering up my opinion, and perhaps getting a response, and perhaps defending my position. However, I have a short attention span and so being pulled into very long, detailed-obsessed debates (that are often filled with ad hominem attacks) takes a lot out of me and is forcing me back towards being a lurker, like I was for the first few years following this site.

In addition, there seems to be certain issues that come up over and over and over again (gay rights, religion, etc.) that are doubly bad topics to see because they also aren't the type of topics that a poster will EVER see a change in their relevant positions.

I do enjoy the informative types of threads much, much more. I remember, a long time ago, reading a thread about language (I don't remember the specifics) and was really impressed. I also enjoy hearing the positions of non-American members as I would not otherwise hear them.

I keep on getting more and more awesome.

EDIT: I'm serious. I formed my views on most things around 2006-2008 or so, and since then, every new thing I learn, every new post I make, and ever new argument I hear has made those views more and more robust.
I actually tend to find the opposite, that I'm forced to seriously revise my views on a regular basis. Not always so anybody else would notice, granted, so I don't know if that really implies much change in terms of Traitorfish-as-CFC poster, but you get what I mean.

I see it as all around positive experience around here. I have grown more patient and learned to distinguish among trolls and people who are interested in more or less seriouss debate. I admire both people with knowledge and those interested to learn. There are many other positive sides to this forums so I am glad I have joined.

Less anger, more depression. Hard to care as much. Harder to make substantive posts or serious discussions. Little motivation to start threads. s the quality of what is posted here declines, the quality of what I can be bothered to post declines.

Less anger, more depression. Hard to care as much. Harder to make substantive posts or serious discussions. Little motivation to start threads. s the quality of what is posted here declines, the quality of what I can be bothered to post declines.
Fogive me for saying that but thats sounds rather like some personal problems...

I actually tend to find the opposite, that I'm forced to seriously revise my views on a regular basis. Not always so anybody else would notice, granted, so I don't know if that really implies much change in terms of Traitorfish-as-CFC poster, but you get what I mean.

Its definetly pretty good sign and capacity to be able to step back and revise ones opinons...

Im starting to wonder if its not time to move on. Thats how ive changed.

I don't post a lot but I've become more likely to speak up at the stuff I find outrageous. I became more cynical. I grew up being taught an opinion was never wrong. This place taught me that opinions can be very wrong.

Top Bottom