How Have You Changed As A CFC User?

I dont post in political threads so much anymore. It gets tiring to post a somewhat reasonable (IMO) post and have it get lost by the people screaming at each other.

Plenty feel the same way. I definitely get annoyed when someone trots out an old falsehood (i.e. Ronald Reagan's approval ratings), I post the same correction with links and all, and then I get ignored. 2-3 pages later, same thing shows up.

My anger in debating in OT has been replaced with cynicism and apathy. It just became a chore and a waste of energy arguing with people (and getting infractions on the side). I used to be an idealistic kid, but then got exposed to trolls and flamers that made me angry (I was the victim of the online bullying). So I've kept to myself and became much much more cynical in the process (and add in some depression as well).

I've changed a lot as a person since joining these forums, and I owe almost the entirety of it to cfc, although more specifically NES/#nes and posters like Dachs/Thlayli/Kraz/Masada/Lucky. Bill too I suppose.

When I first got here I was arrogant, brash, idealistic, and I thought I knew absolutely everything. My time on cfc has humbled me, almost too much in some ways. #nes/#fiftychat played significantly in my current interests in history and music. I came out being overly modest, insecure, unconfident, irritable and aggressive. Over the course of the last 6 months to a year though, due to experiences both online and off I feel I've finally come into my own.

Well that was fun, wasn't it?

Like many here I don't take debates as seriously, I realize people rarely change their minds unless they must. Trying to talk to my mother about things helped with that too. :ack:

I've become more critical minded but also see the folly of imagining I will ever have a true grasp of anything. People, including myself, tend to react knee-jerkingly online, the main wisdom learned here or anywhere is not some factoid someone quickly googled to support their viewpoint but in uncovering hypotheses worth exploring further.

I'm I the only one here who reads his posts from years ago and thinks "Damn straight! Stick it to em' Past-Bugfatty!" ?
I've always been awesome & always stuck it to the trolls.

I think I've always been fairly openminded but I used to get caught up in debates, often debates where people were just bored trying to gode me rather than ever genuinely disagreeing. I don't get involved in this as much anymore & most of the trolls either left or grew up.

More cautious. And less excitable. That just about sums it up.

It's pretty drastic seeing how much I've changed as a person since September '10, though.

When I joined I needed discussions about politics, religion, philosophy and so on. I couldn't have interesting dicussions about those things in real life, because Oxford isn't a very intellectual place and everyone wants to talk about soap operas and who kissed whom last night.

I have now cured my addiction to such discussions, basically because every time such a discussion comes up I've seen the arguments before, and even the structure of how they follow each other, and it's become boring.
I've also gathered a selection of friends who like talking about interesting things but with fewer fallacies than on CFC, so I prefer drinking with them than wasting my working days typing on a forum. CFC used to have the place of a wide-ranging set of acquaintances, like the people in a school or university year who you don't know very well, but give you an idea of the range of opinions people can hold. At the moment I get that elsewhere.
As a poster, I can't think of much that I said that I disagree with now. I've learned a lot from some people on CFC, but was mostly cautious enough not to say wildly wrong things for them to correct.

After you have been here a while you get to see a lot of cycles of the same topics. I eventually got tired of the umpteenth space exploration/prostitution/drugs/global warming/abortion thread and post less.

I have become more moral and liked by the OT community overall

What belief is that?

Then i have done my job. I am now a successful, rehabilitated OT poster.

Have become more "left-wing" on most topics. As you age you are supposed to become more right-wing, but it's been the opposite for me.

I was looking back at a lot of my old threads and posts, and I realized I have really changed over the course of my time here at CFC. My posts have become more negative and cynical, and it seems like I've just become an all-around meaner poster. I also noticed my beliefs have gone from a semi-coherent ideology to just a series of random thoughts on random issues. Overall, I'm not really happy with how I've changed on this site.

So, how much have you changed in your attitude or posting style since you started posting on CFC?

Posting in internet forums will make you more aggressive. Basically, as everyone can post what they like without damaging real-world relationships or risking physical danger, there is little incentive to restrain rudeness and unpleasantness. If most of the posters are young, social conventions against such beheviour will be lighter.

Modding checks some of it, but does so randomly, sporadically, and capriciously, and tends towards benefitting established contributors because mods usually have status and relationships to preserve as well. Most people I know don't post on online discussions, and generally the reason given is the unpleasantness of others on such platforms.

In summary, you have become meaner, probably, as an environmental adaptation.

Pangur Bán;11326725 said:
Basically, as everyone can post what they like without damaging real-world relationships or risking physical danger, there is little incentive to restrain rudeness and unpleasantness..

I would argue the incentive is actually greater . Can you maintain civility without any potential reward or loss for not doing so ? It's a fairly pure examination of ones ability to avoid the temptation to be a jerk as opposed to RL where you "get stuff" for not being one .

Top Bottom