Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

1.30 + patch + hotfix. The stuff that's in the first post of the download thread as of last night

In an unrelated note, I'd recommend having a good look over the civilisation blurbs. You know that couple of paragraphs that explains what a civ does and how to play them. It seems like half of those haven't been updated since FFH 1.0 and don't reflect the current state of many civs. This makes the whole game rather unintuitive. I feel a civilisation's pedia page should contain everything you need to know about who they are and what they do.

Also, the ones for civics. When you research a new civic and a popup box comes up in the corner explaining what it does, and giving the option to switch to it or not. The explanations are generally wrong. Apprenticeship was a noticeable standout to me, the production rate penalty is different. 25% vs 10% iirc

So, whatever happened to that thing for civ V ?

Also, I feel that settling captured animals in cities is a bit too powerful.

+3 food, +1 hammers and +1 culture per turn, permanantly, just for capturing a piggy. Seems wierd.

I think the most logical thing would be to remove the ability to settle them in cities, and instead settle them in tiles. Settling a pig would create a pig resource on the tile. Then you have the opportunity cost of using up a tile at least, and it'd probably be weaker overall too as I don't think pigs on a tile give 3 extra food.

1.30 + patch + hotfix. The stuff that's in the first post of the download thread as of last night

In an unrelated note, I'd recommend having a good look over the civilisation blurbs. You know that couple of paragraphs that explains what a civ does and how to play them. It seems like half of those haven't been updated since FFH 1.0 and don't reflect the current state of many civs. This makes the whole game rather unintuitive. I feel a civilisation's pedia page should contain everything you need to know about who they are and what they do.

Also, the ones for civics. When you research a new civic and a popup box comes up in the corner explaining what it does, and giving the option to switch to it or not. The explanations are generally wrong. Apprenticeship was a noticeable standout to me, the production rate penalty is different. 25% vs 10% iirc

So, whatever happened to that thing for civ V ?

That's not going to be the latest release; Check our SVN. Can find out more info here. That particular issue was addressed... IIRC, the event spawns a special "Muris Clan Whelp" which is then replaced by specific Muris Clan units based on barb tech level. Scales better across the length of the game, and produces more variety... Much better than putting a turn req on the event, or anything similar. ;)

And yes, the text generally needs updating. Will come last, though... First want the mechanics to stop changing. ;)

Also, I feel that settling captured animals in cities is a bit too powerful.

+3 food, +1 hammers and +1 culture per turn, permanantly, just for capturing a piggy. Seems wierd.

I think the most logical thing would be to remove the ability to settle them in cities, and instead settle them in tiles. Settling a pig would create a pig resource on the tile. Then you have the opportunity cost of using up a tile at least, and it'd probably be weaker overall too as I don't think pigs on a tile give 3 extra food.

Not a bad idea.

Edit: As for the Civ5 thing... Still waiting on the source.

And yes, the text generally needs updating. Will come last, though... First want the mechanics to stop changing. ;)

Good to hear. I just reainstalled today having not touched this for about a year. Coming from a fresh perspective, the general lack of accessibility and sheer quantity of unnecessary stuff struck me as the biggest flaw.

the ridiculously vast list of leaders annoys me. Though maybe it's not necessarily that there are so many, but merely that the interface wasn't designed for it. Maybe you guys can poke at the custom game screen a bit to make it less unwieldy.

Also something that struck me as odd, why have an entirely seperate line of barbarian centaur units that have the same art and similar stats to kuriotate ones, but different names? confusing as hell :( I thought kurio had gotten a massive upgrade

Events too, you know those have needed an overhaul and linking in with broader alignments for ages...
A lot of the events are pointlessly confusing though. The one about the lord of death is a prime suspect, offering tons of options that only one civ will be able to use. It'd be nice if you could somehow classify an event's requirements into "soft" ones which are fulfillable, like having X money or being X religion, and "hard" ones, which are out of your control, like being X civ (since you can't change civ midgame). And hide the hard ones. No point dangling a carrot you can never reach, I feel.

And I guess I'd love to see some improvements to existing civs that have been around for ages, but are boring as hell to play and need a lot of love. Sidar, Luchuirp, and the lizardmen come to mind.

Still, cool work all round, glad to see you're still working on it ^^ I feel that Civ V so far isn't working out as I hoped, so I'll probably be playing this again for a bit.

Good to hear. I just reainstalled today having not touched this for about a year. Coming from a fresh perspective, the general lack of accessibility and sheer quantity of unnecessary stuff struck me as the biggest flaw.

Yeah, that's a big part of 1.4 will be. If you sign up on the RifE forums, I have no problem getting you access to the team forum.

the ridiculously vast list of leaders annoys me. Though maybe it's not necessarily that there are so many, but merely that the interface wasn't designed for it. Maybe you guys can poke at the custom game screen a bit to make it less unwieldy.

How so? And it's because we've added leader types. I don't think there's much we can do there though.

Also something that struck me as odd, why have an entirely seperate line of barbarian centaur units that have the same art and similar stats to kuriotate ones, but different names? confusing as hell :( I thought kurio had gotten a massive upgrade

I'm not sure off the top of my head why. Believe it was so we could balance them separately from Kurios and they just ended up about the same.

Events too, you know those have needed an overhaul and linking in with broader alignments for ages...
A lot of the events are pointlessly confusing though. The one about the lord of death is a prime suspect, offering tons of options that only one civ will be able to use. It'd be nice if you could somehow classify an event's requirements into "soft" ones which are fulfillable, like having X money or being X religion, and "hard" ones, which are out of your control, like being X civ (since you can't change civ midgame). And hide the hard ones. No point dangling a carrot you can never reach, I feel.

We'll be doing some here, particularly with BA; Going to go with the system Xienwolf proposed.

And I guess I'd love to see some improvements to existing civs that have been around for ages, but are boring as hell to play and need a lot of love. Sidar, Luchuirp, and the lizardmen come to mind.

There will be.

Still, cool work all round, glad to see you're still working on it ^^ I feel that Civ V so far isn't working out as I hoped, so I'll probably be playing this again for a bit.

:goodjob:

I do remember something being mentioned about cults being worked on at some point, but I was thinking about the Archos and their spider-cult and wondered: how practical/appropriate would it be to have the Mother Cult use the mechanics of a guild/corporation, in a similar way to the Balseraphs' Masquerade? I think it might be interesting to see whether the temptation of whatever benefit it provided outweighed the threat of swelling Mother's brood, and it seems like a nice way of giving the following a tangible (so to speak) presence without qualifying it as a religion.

On the topic of barbarian centaurs, would it add to the game to include an event for the Kuriotates that involved 'converting' barbarian centaurs to the Kuriotates cause? Perhaps some sort of leadership-challenge event that yields a Great Commander (or centaur unit), occurring when a stack with a Great Commander attacks a stack containing a barbarian centaur commander -- or the defection of the attacker's own Great Commander/most experienced unit to the barbarians on a failure? Or even extending that to attacking armies of any civ, if the 'honourable challenge' is a part of centaur culture that predates Kuriotate assimilation?

I agree... been saying both of those things for months.

Yeah, that's a big part of 1.4 will be. If you sign up on the RifE forums, I have no problem getting you access to the team forum.

Is this the caffeine talking or is Valk in love?:mischief::)joke:)

I didn't do much work on FF >.>
Not for lack of trying, I was with them for all of three patches before the team fell apart. I think it's mostly the art I'm known for ^^

I'm making a Dire Wolf model for RIFE just now. :crazyeye:

Sweetness; now I'm even more excited about 1.4(maybe they could also replace the uber beast class mammoths that are unit killers later on?:lol:)

Personally, I just pray that come 1.4 there will be a way for buildings to give X health, gold, happens etc. per certain resource present in a city. Like 0.5 health per resource X and 1 happy per resource Y and 3 gold per resource Z stuff. Than I could resume my work on the mod I had to abandon. :(

But somehow... I feel that will not be.

Personally, I just pray that come 1.4 there will be a way for buildings to give X health, gold, happens etc. per certain resource present in a city. Like 0.5 health per resource X and 1 happy per resource Y and 3 gold per resource Z stuff. Than I could resume my work on the mod I had to abandon. :(

But somehow... I feel that will not be.

I'm 60% sure there's already one or more buildings like that implemented in RiFE.:confused:

Ok now I know naval units get interchangeable promotions like "normal crew' "buccaneers" and such to choose from to change and boost stats and such, and how Mechanos flying machines such as Thopters, Dirigibles and so forth gain these interchange promotions, I was thinking how about on top of those they get some of their own themed interchangeable promotion along with the naval ones. Heres some sample ones.

"Interceptor" -3 Attack, +2 Movement, 1.5x attack vs Flying, -50% defense (This means its attack strength against ground units is severely impaired, but it does a lot more bonus damage against flying so for instance....

Thopter (Without Interceptor)
Ground attack = 5
Air attack = 5

Thopter (With Interceptor)
Ground attack = 2
Air attack = 7.5

"Bomber" -3 Attack vs Flying, -2 Movement, -2 cargo, 1.8x attack vs ground, -50% defense

Thopter (Without Bomber)
Ground attack = 5
Air attack = 5

Thopter (With Bomber)
Ground attack = 9
Air attack = 2

Also it would be either you choose the naval promotions or these ones you wouldn't be able to overlap them, but you'd still be able to choose one or the other, or perhaps such a drastic promotion such as interceptor or bomber logically wise in real life it would be like heavily modifying a machine and replacing parts, maybe they would be a "once you pick this promotion for this unit, its stuck with it" kinda thing.

Promotions such as these would help greatly to keep Thopters viable late game as attack craft, atm by mid game they are only useful as scouts as they are to frail and light hitting, and such promotions would allow the Dirigible Fleet to become combat viable, they would make pretty decent bombers IMO =P

If balance would be an issue perhaps the promotions become available once "Astronomy" has be researched, by that point in the game the impact of the promotions wouldn't be all that great anyway.

Also any chance the Lenora might get its artwork changed back to a zeppelin, cause being a flying flagship and all, and being as powerful as it is (for an air unit) I dont think its looks right being an Aquilan Thopter art and model wise. If you want I could happily wip up an armored multi-hull zeppelin thats half converted into a sorta flying battleship, this sketch I did awhile ago is a good example, and something I could easily model.

Also I remember you mentioning the Vultures will get updated at some point with the 3D models of the Juggernaut war golems from Kohan 2 which someone managed to import to Civ IV, is that still going to be happening as well?

Also for the Goliath would you like me to make a unit button/portrait like my icon pic, after all its my model, I could whip up something nice :p

I'm 60% sure there's already one or more buildings like that implemented in RiFE.:confused:

Not quite yet; they will be, though. We definately want to have incentives to stockpile resources, and that would be a very good way to do so.

/]rchon;10522270 said:
Also any chance the Lenora might get its artwork changed back to a zeppelin, cause being a flying flagship and all, and being as powerful as it is (for an air unit) I dont think its looks right being an Aquilan Thopter art and model wise. If you want I could happily wip up an armored multi-hull zeppelin thats half converted into a sorta flying battleship, this sketch I did awhile ago is a good example, and something I could easily model.

Also I remember you mentioning the Vultures will get updated at some point with the 3D models of the Juggernaut war golems from Kohan 2 which someone managed to import to Civ IV, is that still going to be happening as well?

Also for the Goliath would you like me to make a unit button/portrait like my icon pic, after all its my model, I could whip up something nice :p

More art would definately be welcome (we have limited resources in that department). ;)

That looks like a really cool ship, btw.

Oh, and I don't think we're keeping the crew promotions - I'm not entirely certain about this, but I think we decided that they were too much micro.

Not quite yet; they will be, though. We definately want to have incentives to stockpile resources, and that would be a very good way to do so.
Is that a confirmation than? :eek:
Any data on how and when this will happen?

I need to start cracking open my old mod folder!
This is the best news I've gotten all year.

I know about the affinity thing and that I could do it via spamming dummy buildings in each and every city. But I want to avoid such brute force answers mostly becouse if I did it via python I don't know if the AI would know to use it. It's supposed to be the core of my faction's health gathering mechanic since they don't get health from over half the resources in the game. So if the AI did not know how to use it than it would be completely incapable of playing said faction.

Top Bottom