No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
Why can these words not be a motto for all people on how to live our lives eventually. i.e something to strive for. The phrases in it seem so good.

Okay, but why Lady Gaga? Why not link to the original?
I thought about that ... but the Lady Gaga version, shows how relevant these words are still today, with all the problems the world now has.

I find it hilariously ironic that the clip chosen is Lady Gaga singing a song that opens a verse with Imagine there's no countries at an international sporting event where national teams will compete with each other.

Might as well sing the first line, stop, and say "well, okay, let's all go home."

I agree: that's the version I prefer.

It is a good song, and a fine sentiment, imo.

But I'm still impressed that Lady Gaga managed to coax a tune out of a shrubbery.

Imagine there's no Freedom
It's easy if you try
No-one disobeying
Whoever does shall die.
Imagine all the people
Livin' just for me!

Imagine no posessions
Isn't hard to do
Give us your money
Or we'll kill you
Imagine all the people
Working for just one!

You may say, that I am evil,
but I'm not the only one.
I hope some day, you'll join us
And the world will live under one!

Imagine there's no countries
I wonder if you can.
The entire world
Ruled by just one man
Imagine all the people
Slaves, to those who rule!

You may say, that I am evil,
but I'm not the only one.
I hope some day, you'll join us
And the world will live under one!
:crazyeye:

Neil Cicierega! I like you.

On the original song, it's good but I never understood what's outstanding about it. Both from a lyrics and especially from a composition point of view.

...and the way he treated his son, wherever he is he better hope there is no hell.

When I think about the SOB that wrote this song about how much better the world would be without heaven and hell I see a guy who lived his life without God and who sets a perfect example of life without faith. Abusive to his wife, without grace or humility and psychologically abusive to his son, a pathological liar *****ing about the way things are. Beloved of the Godless masses. Typical! These sort make their own hell and bring in as many people around them as they can while crying about others faith. My father was such a one, but without even singing. People of faith are far from perfect but this clown sets a new low mark for humanity. What a grade A ******* of a human being.

Man, CavLancer just cosbied John Lennon. Or hannibal burresed.

I think the song itself is (obviously) political and a bit utopian, but it has served well as a classic protest anthem.

...and the way he treated his son, wherever he is he better hope there is no hell.

When I think about the SOB that wrote this song about how much better the world would be without heaven and hell I see a guy who lived his life without God and who sets a perfect example of life without faith. Abusive to his wife, without grace or humility and psychologically abusive to his son, a pathological liar *****ing about the way things are. Beloved of the Godless masses. Typical! These sort make their own hell and bring in as many people around them as they can while crying about others faith. My father was such a one, but without even singing. People of faith are far from perfect but this clown sets a new low mark for humanity. What a grade A ******* of a human being.
I hope you are not saying that people who live their lives without God are all like this. That really had better not be what you're saying.

But you are absolutely right that "People of faith are far from perfect." After all, look at the criticism leveled at Mother Teresa. Not much of a saint, was she?

I find it hilariously ironic that the clip chosen is Lady Gaga singing a song that opens a verse with Imagine there's no countries at an international sporting event where national teams will compete with each other.

Might as well sing the first line, stop, and say "well, okay, let's all go home."

To be fair that's sort of the intent - I think - to sing a song like that which is anti-establishment in ways that many of the countries represented that the event live by. It might ruffle some jimmies, but she's putting it in people's faces - everyone's watching, etc. so of course some people are going to get upset. She knows that, I'm sure.

I hate, hate the original version. Hollow, unrelatable sugarcoated fantasy. But few years ago, I discovered that it is nice song, it just need some different arrangement to work for me:

Link to video.

I hope you are not saying that people who live their lives without God are all like this. That really had better not be what you're saying.

But you are absolutely right that "People of faith are far from perfect." After all, look at the criticism leveled at Mother Teresa. Not much of a saint, was she?

No of course not, certainly there are exceptions. I think one possible cause might be that God knows our hearts, even the number of hairs on our heads or some such. God might help those who don't know him and don't give him abuse, just because he has so much love. In other words he doesn't abandon them to dark forces just because of their ignorance of him. That's just a wild guess btw, who knows God's mind and methods?

Regarding Mother Theresa, I have no idea as to her faith, and only God knows her heart.

People in general basically suck, that I have some confidence in. What reason God has of choosing this one and not that I can only guess. Though my phone is plugged in he hasn't called me to discuss his reasoning (I wouldn't expect him to really) and 'only' dropped by once, long ago.

So is it possible to listen to John Lennon's song and not think about what an ass he is? Well, not for me as I was a son of such a man and in practice forgiving is a trick. Does it involve not having a bucket full of negative feelings? For instance I can sit here and say I forgive but do I really? Hmm, just had that little voice we all have tell me to ask God to toss the bucket, so I'll try that.

Man, CavLancer just cosbied John Lennon. Or hannibal burresed.

I think the song itself is (obviously) political and a bit utopian, but it has served well as a classic protest anthem.

Cosbied? Hannibal burressed? I understand I'm getting ripped, but just don't get it. Can you clarify so I can enjoy it too? Thanks...

Cosbied? Hannibal burressed? I understand I'm getting ripped, but just don't get it. Can you clarify so I can enjoy it too? Thanks...

You aren't getting ripped. I was unaware that John Lennon was a perpetrator of domestic violence, much as I wasn't aware that Cosby was a sexual predator until the standup comedy of Hannibal Burres.

So is it possible to listen to John Lennon's song and not think about what an ass he is? Well, not for me as I was a son of such a man and in practice forgiving is a trick. Does it involve not having a bucket full of negative feelings? For instance I can sit here and say I forgive but do I really? Hmm, just had that little voice we all have tell me to ask God to toss the bucket, so I'll try that.
First of all, I am not, and never was, a Beatles fan. I like a few individual songs that they did, or that one or another of them did, but that doesn't add up to being a fan of the group or the musicians on the whole.

Is it possible to listen to a song and enjoy it, knowing that the singer is a bad person? Yes. I hadn't known about John Lennon's private life until reading your posts here. Do I still enjoy the song? Yes. For me, the performer's private life is irrelevant as far as the song itself goes.

I despise Mel Gibson's bigotry, but still enjoy a couple of his movies (Braveheart and Hamlet).

Head on down to the A&E forum; you'll see a rather intense argument I had with Luckymoose regarding Marion Zimmer Bradley's private life. If she did indeed do what she's accused of, that's horrible. Does it mean I don't enjoy her novels? No. She wrote some decent stuff back in the '60s-'80s, and one of the things she did ended up having a profound effect on my life decades later (helping to found the SCA).

I guess it just might take a personal connection to throw out stuff like this. You evidently have one in a way that makes John Lennon anathema for you. I have different personal issues with some people that means I want nothing to do with them or what they perform or sell, regardless of its merits.

Top Bottom