Is "Islamaphobia" dangerous?

Yeah that's just what this thread needed, talk of privilege. That picture you posted applies to sjws like you.

I don't know, i think most would agree that being a white, straight male born in a western country is a comparatively easy life in comparison to say... people born in countries such as Syria, or CAR or Somalia or numerous other places.

What's the point of these threads? The far-right know they can't convince the liberals to hate and fear Muslims, while the liberals know the far-right are quite immune to reason.

It's all about the circle-jerking and the biscuit, hombre.

Plus, we get to see how improved CH has gotten at drive by posting since his last attempt.
In many ways, it is like watching an Olympian steadily improve their times over the course of their career.

I don't know, i think most would agree that being a white, straight male born in a western country is a comparatively easy life in comparison to say... people born in countries such as Syria, or CAR or Somalia or numerous other places.

Your kind have it easier. You're the liberals pet.

Yeah, the problem is that spending 10 minutes trying to track down the perfect .gif doesn't constitute as much work in the eyes of mods as spending 3 minutes vomiting out a post which more or less expresses the same thing but less cleverly. So now I've ruined my perfect .gif with context. I've explained the joke.

God I hate the spam rules on cfc sometimes.

To answer the question of the OP, while completely ignoring the context, Cuban Missile Crisis style:

Yes, Islamophobia is dangerous. Hating and/ or fearing a religious group that has more than a billion adherents is dangerous to them, the people doing the hating, and the innocent bystanders of that hatred. Islamophobia is what has enabled the recent security law changes in my country, which include a gem about journalists being gaoled for 5-10 years for pointing out mistakes by security agencies.

Of course islamophobia is dangerous. And I can say this as someone quite biased against Islam. It encourages you to mistreat others for very poor reasons and to attack the wrong people, pretending they're proxies for your true enemies. It's okay to disparage a paradigm. The trick is to attack the real enemy instead of by-standers.

Indeed.

And in any case, all phobias are dangerous because they are by definition irrational and disproportionate fears.

Should we be worried about people, with thousand yard stares, who approach us wielding carving knives, though?

Yes, I think we probably should.

Dunno. What if they really, really wanted to sell you those knives? Maybe even make you an offer you can't refuse? In one piece, at least.

Remember CH. Whenever anybody calls you an Islamophobe you're on the right track. It means you are standing up against the true bigots. The person who calls you an Islamophobe is only projecting. You see he cannot stand any criticism of brown people, because in his heart he is racist as he doesn't believe brown people have agency and the ability to choose wrong from right. Instead of challenging this internally, he blurts out "muh muh rasism". In the mind of the smear-artist racist, brown people only react to what white people do. Brown people don't have their own agendas and are incapable of acts.
"If people agree with me, it means I'm right. If people disagree with me, it means I'm right. If people just sigh and avoid eye-contact, well, that probably means I'm right too."

Clinically, a "phobia" is defined by the exhibition of avoidence behaviour rather than the subjective experience of fear. If "Islamophobia", "homophobia", etc. are being used as analogies to clinical phobias (which has its own problems, but that's another issue), it seems like we should be asking whether alleged Islamophobes, homophobes, etc. exhibit some sort of avoidence behaviour, rather than whether they're actually scared of Muslims/gay people/etc.

Well, I certainly avoid high places and places where I might reasonably run across blood, just to avoid a phobic response. In that respect, that's perfectly accurate.

Except, you know, that one "phobia" that is called a phobia but the people who say it insist doesn't really mean what phobia means. For reasons....

Yes. It can get complicated.

Me, personally, I do not approve of the homosexual lifestyle, but to imply (which is clearly what the word homophobe does regardless of what the lefties claim) that I fear homosexuals or homosexual behavior is ridiculous. Clearly, the only answer anyone can truthfully give on the poll is "yes", in my not so humble opinion.

But, you see, without me wanting to be controversial, when you say you don't "approve of the homosexual lifestyle" what do you really mean?

Because I wouldn't say I approve of the homosexual lifestyle either, but then I don't "approve" of the heterosexual one either. Neither of them having anything to do with my approval or disapproval.

Neither do I approve or disapprove of the Islamic lifestyle. Beyond the fact of being vaguely concerned at the approach of carving knife wielders (or even salesmen of such or not, Mr Tolni). Actually, what's Islam got to do with it? To the man who claims to be a jihadist inspired by the Koran holding up a severed head, I'd say "you're flat out deluded with no pretensions to being inspired by anything". That is, if I thought it worth the risk of saying anything at all.

It really all depends how far we want to dig, I guess.

Well, I certainly avoid high places and places where I might reasonably run across blood, just to avoid a phobic response. In that respect, that's perfectly accurate.

You shouldn't. I even walked through Brixton in broad daylight once. It can be done.

Not on this forum but the National Union of Students in the UK have.

That's basically the student wing of the Labour Party. Apparently the NUS have condemned UKIP and David Lammy but ISIS is beyond the pale :lol: Ahh lefty logic you amuse me so.

So they said that and they're idiots for saying that.

How does that in any way imply anything CH is claiming? OP clearly has a hateful agenda on his mind, and he's using this as an excuse to push it.

So they said that and they're idiots for saying that.

How does that in any way imply anything CH is claiming? OP clearly has a hateful agenda on his mind, and he's using this as an excuse to push it.

It doesn't relate to what OP is saying. I was just responding to a point Owen made and it was somewhat tangentially related.

I'm not sure CH has a "hateful agenda" in mind. Can you reach across the websphere, look into CH's soul and truly know that?

Except, you know, that one "phobia" that is called a phobia but the people who say it insist doesn't really mean what phobia means. For reasons....
I'd not link to that thread every time phobia pops up.
for reasons said:
Me, personally, I do not approve of the homosexual lifestyle

Anyway, not everyone who has in irrational dislike for homosexuals can be classified homophobic. When for instance someone believes there exists such a thing as a "homosexual lifestyle" which they dissaprove of then that's not a phobia. That is ignorance.[/Michael Jackson voice]. I guess that's just a matter of seeing guys kissing is icky, thinking about them having buttsex is truly icky. And I admit, I do feel uneasy when I see guys kissing. It's this bloody cultural superimposed view of how things are supposed to be that has indoctrinated my inner homo-ignorant.

When people start talking about the homosexual agenda, then that is a case of being homophobic. They fear teh gay will change society in some horrible tolerant way.

The short of it, you're not homophobic Bsup. You're Leftiephobic. You fear the brilliance of the left capable of cunning word-plots to rule the conversation in their clever booklearned ways. While closer inspection will reveal the bumbling idiots in their midst :)hatsoff:)

This in turn is of course a brilliant plot to undermine the brilliance of the cunning word-plots me and my compatriates unleash on the world.

The other thing with the left is that they just don't seem to know when to shut up.

Top Bottom