Is this Racism?

MobBoss

Off-Topic Overlord
What's politically correct about it?

I tend to take articles like this w/ a lot of skepticism. Surely there are things that the article does not address. But, on the surface, if the driver made them sit in the back simply because they are black, then yes, its easily, clearly, and unmistakeably racist.

How is this anything other than racism?

idiots run countries. always remember this: common sense is only known by the uncommon.

Something ain't right about that story.

i don't think the whole story was covered. the children that the bus driver was reserving seats for may have just happened to be white, and the kids that tried to sit there just happened to be all black.

i think sometimes people want somebody to point at and say: "You racist! We all hate you!"

.Shane. said:
What's politically correct about it?

I tend to take articles like this w/ a lot of skepticism. Surely there are things that the article does not address. But, on the surface, if the driver made them sit in the back simply because they are black, then yes, its easily, clearly, and unmistakeably racist.

Its politically correct to play the race card in any given situation, regardless of the circumstances or situation. How does one prove that the driver made them sit in the back because they were black? Was their a little rope with a sign on it saying "Blacks only past this point" in the middle of the bus? Were there other black children sitting in the front? Were there white kids sitting in the back?

As you say, there are many things the article does not address, but it should. The headline itself appears misleading - the story in no way alleges that the busdriver made the black kids give up seats they were in for white kids. Or if it does I cant seem to find it.

My point is I am against racism. However, I also am against attributing every perceived offense under the sun to racism as well. I get calls from people weekly who complain of racism and when its investigated, race is hardly ever a factor at all. Just like Cynthia McKinny claiming racism when she whacked that Guard trying to do his job.

Sounds fishy to me. If that's all there was to it, (The driver decided only white kids could sit in the front of the bus) then it's blatant racism. I suspect there's more to this story than we're being told, though. Whether or not there's a good explanation remains to be seen.

MobBoss said:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/NEWS01/608240332/1002/NEWS

Is this racism or simple knee-jerk political correctness run amok? I am leaning more towards political correctness run amok myself.
The driver having them sit in the back of the bus because they are black is overt racism.

The claim that the whole school system needs to be overhauled would be the PC going overboard. There is no definitive link between this one incident and the school system propigating racism.

My best guess, based upon the article, is that the driver and the driver only was bieng racist.

I'm suspicious. It could just be those 9 white kids were trouble makers, so he wanted them up front.

Actually..... theres something suspicious about the black kids as well. Why the hell were they sitting at the front of the bus when the back was empty? Eeeeevveryone knows its way cooler to sit at the back of the bus. Only a nerd would choose to sit at the front of the bus.

Cool kids don't ride in the back of the bus but rather fling the driver from his seat, hijack the bus, and head to Mexico for some Tequila and pot.

Nine black children attending Red River Elementary School were directed last week to the back of the school bus by a white driver who designated the front seats for white children.

Well, 'designated' makes it racism.

On every school bus I have ever been on from elementary to high school, the cool kids would take the back and kick out anyone they did not deem worthy. It became so imprinted that I now always sit on the back of any public bus I am on.

But yes, it has to have been their choice.

'Sessoms said they would ask for bus driver Delores Davis' immediate termination.'

That's a bit over the top isn't it? You don't kill someone because of their seating preferences.

It says that the seats at the front were reserved for white children, but it doesn't say specifically that it was their whiteness that made the driver reserve the seats for them.
I can think of a lot of reasons why a driver might ask some children to sit at the back. The article assumes racism and expects us to do so as well. It's certainly a clear possibility, but I think it should be proven before the author asks us to become all excited about it.

MobBoss said:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/NEWS01/608240332/1002/NEWS

Is this racism or simple knee-jerk political correctness run amok? I am leaning more towards political correctness run amok myself.
You call that a news item ?? :eek: 1 line of what happened, without even telling why the busdriver redistributed seats; there can be 1000 reasons with 800 of them not racist; and the rest of the article is filled with opinions, quotes and innuendo's of big mouthed shouters.

No comment on whether this is racist or not - not enough information is present.

Top Bottom