LK163 - AWM, India

Since S. Africa and Britain have Adventures they know Railroads.

When looking at the screenshots of the Northern Front and the Far West, I see protected cruisers, meaning Britain and S.Africa have at least the tech Explosives.

I've started playing, and saw a steamroller built. They had the tech for a while. :(

Last edited:
This is where I really miss the Alpha Centauri system of learning new technologies from capturing cities.
Really?

That mechanic always bugged the hell out of me in CivDOS, mainly because the AI (was a cheating b*****d which) always pinched the most modern tech it could find (like Tanks), even when it had none of the prereqs for it — whereas I always seemed to get the useless early-game crap that I'd deliberately skipped (which was especially galling in CivDOS, where research-cost increases were based solely on how many techs you already knew).

Didn't know they'd also included such a mechanic in SMAC, but then I never played that one very much.

It's a nice mechanic for AW. Behind in tech? No problem, you catch up over the course of the war.

The CivDOS version of it sounds obnoxious. The SMAC version is an optional rule, not enabled by default, IIRC.

Mid set updated:
The decision to destroy the Korea colony instead of retreating (as I asked) has turned the British front into a total mess. Just as I was getting ready try and go offensive against Israel way to many Korean units are showing up.

I would have thought we would have met Korean troops anyway and still had the war. It would have likely saved us just a few turns. I remember carefully avoiding one of the the new civs cities only to run into one of their units elsewhere the very next turn [Edit: it was Indo-china and was the same turn].

1903 AD (0)
Nobody is building Crystal Palace. We are close to railroads. I switch Bombay to Battlefield Medicine as pre-build.
(IT) I lost 1 camel, 1 musket, 1 hussar and 1 MDI. (0-4)
I killed Britain 4 adventurers and 1 horse unit. Another unknown civ horse and ship were killed. (6-4)
Britain broke a road near Norwich. That cities defense just got harder.

The next research project is rails.
I saw a British steam roller. They have had explosives for a while. :(
I start a limited number of factories. I switch to engineers to finish them ASAP. We need to save the cash for upgrades and steals.
We missed building Gold Mine. Chartres starts it.
The Germans are building Eiffel Tower.

1904 AD (1)
I can attempt a tech steal from Israel. However, that would be a waste as they are hopelessly backwards.
Spain is worth the effort. It succeeds. :dance:
The secrets of Democracy are now known. Aydin begins the small wonder constitution for a free happy face in every city. Uskudar starts Capitol for free barracks. Capitol is like the base game Forbidden Palace so we should get some corruption savings in most cities.
Railroads only needs 4 turns. I slow it down to take 5 turns to match up with Battlefield Medicine pre-build. I will scroll ahead for the prebuild switch to Crystal Palace. There won’t be another tech steal attempt until after Railroad research. We are at the limited path part of the tech tree.

An Israel musket is run down by Shiloh. A line infantry is killed by Santos. (8-4)
There are too many fronts deal with. I’m going to ignore the Aztecs. I really don’t look forward to working my way through all those mountains. I will work on killing those crossing our borders. I kill 3 crossbows. (11-4)
I kill 2 British adventurers by Norwich. I also kill 1 Dragoon. (14-4)
The broken road is worse. I can’t attack an adventurer in the mountains with mounted units.
I kill Austria: 1 musketeer and 2 cuirassiers. An artist was gained during the fighting. (17-4)
I kill Indo-China: 1 fire lancer, 1 musketeer. I lost 1 camel. (19-4)
I kill South Africa: 1 adventurer. (20-4)
I kill Korea: 2 Hwacha losing 1 hussar. (22-5)
Aztec Killing Hussar has arrived. Theveste gets a rushed factory.
(IT) Italy and Inca sign a peace treaty. I can’t argue with our enemies beating each other up.
I lost 4 Hussar and 1 explorer. (22-10)
I kill 2 British adventurers, Indo-China MDI, SA Inf, and someone’s cannon. (27-10)

1905 AD (2)
The assault of Saigon begins. I kill 3 musketeers and a not upgraded camel. I lost 2 cavalry and 1 hussar. (31-13)
The city is captured, and gets an immediate culture bomb.
More Aztec junk has crossed our borders. I kill 1 bucket. A crossbow protecting a settler is killed. There is no such thing as to many workers. I lost 1 elephant. (33-14)
I also have to deal with more Austria junk. I suspect we are getting close to their homeland. I kill 1 MDI and 2 cuirassiers. I lost 1 hussar. (36-15)
I have found Greece. Fortunately they are behind in tech. They only have 9 cities. They showed up near Ubon, the same place where stray Austria troops are coming in.
Korea is also becoming a problem showing up near Elath. This is to close the Britain / Israel front. I don’t need another enemy to fight. The lack of road connections makes it harder. I’ve started moving workers this way, but it will be several turns to get the needed roads into the area.
[End of session 1]
The assault of Walvis Bay begins. I kill 1 rifle, 1 adventurer and 2 pikes. I lost 1 hussar. (40-16)
The city is captured with $51.
A stray adventurer is killed just outside the city. (41-16)
Now I need to wait for units to heal to begin the assault on Zimbabwe.
I hit more British units. I killed 1 adventurer, 1 dragoon and 1 grenadier. I lost 1 hussar. (44-17)
(IT) Austria and Korea have units move away from us.
Another road around Britain is destroyed. Several units will have to divert to an alternate route to the front.
My bid for Crystal Palace failed. :(
The free tech and golden age would have really helped.
I killed 1 British cannon and 1 adventurer. A SA mounted unit died. I lost 2 hussars. (47-19)

1906 AD (3)
Bombay switches to a factory so that the next wonder attempt will be faster.
I kill 2 Spanish crossbows that landed by Heliopolis. Watching a hussar drop to 1 HP was scary, as we have too few troops in the area. (49-19)
I lost a Hussar by Santos trying to kill an Israel musket. (49-20)
I lost 2 Hussars before killing a British musket near Elath. (50-22)
I now see Chinese troops approaching the Ubon area.
I run down a SA pike approaching Saigon. (51-22)
I kill a stray Aztec unit in our lands. (52-22)
The assault on Rangoon begins. I kill 2 muskets. I lost 1 musket. (54-24)
Rangoon is captured destroying some ships in port. With the borders barely budging, there is clearly another city nearby in the fog.
I also kill a stray mounted unit in the area. (55-24)
I knock off one more British adventurer. (56-24)
One More Indian Knight arrived. Marrakesh gets a rushed factory.
(IT) I kill 1 British, and 2 SA adventurers. (59-24)
I lost 3 more Hussars. (59-27)
Rangoon was hit by an enslaver that I need to hunt down. I saw a worker run away.
Aydin has its production sabotaged. :(
Southampton gets hit with propaganda.
Britain is building national monument. That means they have entered the next age and have at least nationalism on the tree. That means tougher units to fight on that front. :wallbash:

1907 AD (4)
I kill 1 British infantry and 1 adventurer. (61-27)
I kill an Israel infantry by Santos. (62-27)
The road crew is finally working above Santos. Sadly, not enough workers for a one-turn road.
I kill 1 SA adventurers and 1 Numidian mercenary. (64-27)
I kill a lawyer (probably SA) gaining a new monk. (66-27)
I kill 2 Indo-China Cuirassier and 1 enslaver. (69-27)
I kill 1 Austria musket. (70-27)
I’m starting to build a stack by Saigon to deal with the incoming China stack. There are 20+ visible units.
I kill a Korean Hwacha. (71-27)
I kill Aztec 1 pike and 1 cannon losing 1 hussar. (73-28)
SA has had rails for a while. Zimbabwe has a railed tile.
(IT) I lost 2 Hussar, 1 musket and 1 cavalry. (73-32)
I killed 1 unknown mounted, 1 unknown musket, 1 Indo mounted, 1 Indo ground, and 1 SA adventurer. (78-32)
3 more units land by Heliopolis. This is getting messy.
Southampton is bombarded so hard that buildings are lost.
Now I am starting to see Aztec adventurers. This is frustrating, as the front is now expanding in that area.
Sydney suffers a propaganda campaign.
Germany completes Eiffel Tower.

1908 AD (5)
I kill more landings by Heliopolis. I kill 1 Spain bucket. I kill Egypt 1 crossbow and 1 cannon. (81-32)
This area is getting tight as I need time for unit healing.
The assault on Angkor begins. I kill 4 musketeers. I lost 2 hussars and 1 cavalry. (85-35)
The city doesn’t fall. There must be an invisible unit in it.
I kill Austria: 1 spear, 1 MDI and 1 crossbow. (88-35)
I kill China: 3 crossbows. (91-35)
I kill Britain: 3 adventurers. I lost 2 hussars. (94-37)
Hussar Hates Adventurers arrives fighting the UK. I switch Uskudar to factory. This lets me rush Capitol in Elath and get a barracks in that area. The British front badly needs one.
I kill Korea: 2 Hwachas. I lost 1 hussar. (96-38)
I kill Israel: 1 cavalry. (97-38)
I kill SA: 2 adventurers. (99-38)
I kill Aztec: 1 pike. (100-38)
[End of session 2]
I kill Aztec: 1 crossbow. (101-38)
I kill Britain: 1 dragoon. (102-38)
The assault on Zimbabwe begins. I kill 1 rifle. I lost 4 Hussars. (103-44)
I’m force to abandon the attack. I keep finding more rifles in the city. The attack will be delayed until all I can upgrade all to cavalry. I kept finding another rifle every time I injured one. I suspect 20+ units before the attack can begin.
Hussar of Zimbabwe arrived. Walvis Bay gets a rushed factory.
(IT) I killed an Austria mounted unit. (104-44)
Defensive Camel Musketeer arrives. I hope the leader doesn’t get killed.
A flood of Korean units start showing up. We did NOT need this war. I won’t be able to pursue my plans of offensive versus Israel. Instead, I have to pray I can withstand the Korean assault.
Way too many ships are floating around Heliopolis.
I lost 4 Hussar and 1 musket. (104-49)
I killed 1 British adventurer, 1 Israel camel, 1 SA adventurer, 1 SA rifle and 1 SA bucket. (109-49)
I saw the AI try a direct amphibious landing on Heliopolis. Luckily we survived. (110-49)
Research begins on explosives.
Our spy in Cuzco was lost.
Casablanca is hit by a propaganda campaign.
A Germany adventurer is spotted around Casablanca. I hope that doesn’t mean yet another front.

1909 AD (6)
The capitol really paid off. Corruption dropped from 727 to 575 lost.
The second assault on Angkor begins. I kill 1 musketeer and 1 enslaver. (112-49)
The city gets a rushed factory.
Kolhapur is founded in mostly jungle. It will take time to get up to speed. We are running out of good spots.
I fail in my attempt to plant a spy in the Aztecs.
I succeed in planting a spy in Britain and Germany.
I attempt to steal from SA. Our spy failed. :(
At least they are still in place.
There should be enough cash to try again after explosives in done.
I kill Britain: 1 adventurer and 1 camel. I lost 1 Hussar. (114-50)
I kill Korea: 1 musket. (115-50)
I’ve been working on the railroad. I know it isn’t great until explosives (2X speed), but we need rails above all. The fronts are way too far away.
I kill Aztec: 3 adventurers, 1 crossbow and 1 camel. I lost 2 hussars. (120-52)
I kill SA: 1 adventurer. (121-52)
[End of session 3]
(IT) I lost 2 muskets, 2 Hussar and 1 cavalry. (126-52)
I killed 2 UK adventurers, 1 Israel mounted, something invisible (Aztec?). (130-52)
The Korean assault on Elath cost us 2 muskets and 1 Hussar. I killed 2 muskets and 1 grenadier. (133-55)
That was the one spot that really worried me.
A German spy attempt is caught.
South Africa is building Antarctic Expedition. They also have nationalism.

I am still working away. The log was getting so big that I wanted to clear it out.

Good progress in spite of the setbacks. Did we cut the roads across the mountains to the Aztecs? I had been thinking that it would simplify battle plans -- less so now that Adventurers are in play.

1910 AD (7)
Whack a stack begins versus China. I kill 1 siege bow, 7 crossbows, 2 elephants, 1 foot knight, 2 MDI and 10 pikes. I lost 2 cavalry. (156-57)
I don’t see another stack on the way. That means the Indo-China offensive can restart soon.
I kill 4 SA adventurers. I lost 4 Hussar. (160-61)
I kill Korea: 2 grenadiers and 3 MDI. I lost 1 cavalry. (165-62)
Hussar of Doom arrives. Elath gets a rushed gas holder. I’m guessing due to not being on the road net is why I can’t rush a factory.
I kill a British Lawyer by Norwich. (166-62)
I kill British: 1 Adventurer. I lost 1 Hussar. (167-63)
I gained an artist that hit the city for more culture trying to get us breathing room. Sadly, the borders don’t expand.
The balloon in Norwich locates Edinburgh that already has 2 tiles with rails.
(IT) I lost 6 Hussar. (167-70)
I killed 1 British adventurer. (168-70)
I killed 1 Indo-China mounted unit. (169-70)
I killed something invisible (probably Aztec). (170-70)
I killed SA adventurer. (171-70)
I killed a Chinese elephant. (172-70)
I gained an artist on defense. The unit count is getting to thin on the British front. That is why the lawyer defended. The new units can’t arrive fast enough.
Israel wants to talk. :lol:
Nubia also wants to talk.
I spot a new China stack.
Constitution is completed.
We caught Germany trying to plant a spy.
South Africa has partisans walking around.
Exeter barely held on.

1911 AD (8)
We have a railroad tile by Hierakonpolis. The crew will eventually merge with the worker crew from Chittagong to Hierakonpolis. This crew hopes to get more rails down to speed up reinforcements to the British front.
I kill Korea: 3 MDI, 2 crossbows, 1 sword, 1 archer and 3 spears. I lost an elite knight. (182-71)
We gained 1 worker and 1 artist.
The Great Brahmin arrived. Elath gets a rushed factory.
Korea is no longer a serious threat until another stack arrives. Britain is still a threat.
I kill Indo-China: 1 cuirassier. (183-71)
I kill China: 1 siege crossbow. (184-71)
(IT) I lost 1 musket and 1 hussar. (184-73)
I killed 1 British infantry. (185-73)
Southampton is hit hard enough to lose two pop points.
I suffer what I think is our first city loss. Britain recovers Exeter. It being jammed against mountains, along with constant coastal bombardments, made it too difficult to defend against the constant adventurer assault.
I get my first MPP message. Since this is AW, it really doesn’t matter.
Twin Peaks is hit with a propaganda campaign.
I caught Britain trying to plant a spy.
I just saw the largest AI landing ever. 12 British units landed south of Exeter. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Still 2 turns to go.

1912 AD (9)
I kill British: 4 adventurers and 1 redcoat. I lost 2 cavalry. (190-75)
I kill Greece: 1 crossbow. (191-75)
There is a stack of 20 Chinese junk by Angkor. It is time to again build up a stack to smack it down.
I kill SA 2 adventurer. I lost 1 hussar. (193-76)
I kill Israel: 1 musket. (194-76)
I kill Korea: 1 fire lancer. (195-76)
I gain 1 artist.
Fighting partisans in mountains is all but impossible with Hussar. I make the decision to abandon Walvis Bay.
(IT) I lost 5 cavalry, 2 muskets, 1 grenadier and 1 hussar. (195-81)
I killed 1 British adventurer and 1 crossbow. (197-81)
Indo-China lands a musket by Rabat.

1913 AD (10)
I lethal bombard an Indo-China ship in the lake. (198-81)
I kill Indo-China: 1 musket. I lost 1 cavalry. (199-82)
I kill British: 1 dragoon, 1 musket, 1 redcoat and 1 adventurer. (202-82)
Some stray Chinese troops show up by Elath.
I kill China: 2 pikes. (204-82)
The assault of Gaza begins. I kill 2 infantry and 2 redcoats. (208-82)
I gain 1,627 from the city. It gets an instant culture bomb to at least put Israel mostly out of range.
I fail to plant a spy with the Inca and Aztec. Hopefully that got the bad luck out of my system.
It did, and I steal a tech from SA. I steal steel. :dance:
I show just 4 civs with Imperialism. I’ve caught us up to most of the world.
I kill Israel: 2 cavalry, 1 camel, 1 artillery piece, and 1 infantry. I lost 1 cavalry. (213-83)
I kill an Israel cavalry that tried to get cute and enter our borders by Manaus. (214-83)
I kill Aztec: 2 infantry. I lost 1 cavalry. (216-84)
I kill Korea: 1 grenadier. (217-84)
I gained another artist.

Top Bottom