Mansplaying

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, mansplain is the correct term, i.e. explaining like a condescending man to a woman.

it's from one gender specific to the other gender specific. It's tied down with the patriarchal background of a culture or a society, and how one gender assumed more credibility on explaining what is what to the other gender. By saying LM is capable of mansplaining you just taking the word away from its root and context and toss it around as you wish. lol

it's from one gender specific to the other gender specific. It's tied down with the patriarchal background of a culture or a society, and how one gender assumed more credibility on explaining what is what to the other gender. By saying LM is capable of mansplaining you just taking the word away from its root and context and toss it around as you wish. lol
This confusion is why I prefer to just use the term 'splaining. Men can be condescending to both men and women, and women can be condescending to both men and women. Neither has the monopoly, and neither is immune.

I might have missed the previous thread on this. If this thread is about mansplaining, then it might be worth diving into the term a little bit.

Condescension seems to be a crucial element of the practice. But that might be tricky to correctly identify sometimes, especially in text. So people might rely on word usage to interpret intent, but it's probably most clear when the women are actually more knowledgeable in the area. That way, we know the men are implicitly claiming their expertise by virtue of their gender.

But what if knowledge is not an issue and a man is just condescending to everyone? What if he doesn't know the gender of the person he's speaking to? Does the fact that the recipient is woman automatically make it mansplaining?

There was a period of time when the term was more a fad and I saw it thrown around a lot on the slightest hint of condescension.

I might have missed the previous thread on this. If this thread is about mansplaining, then it might be worth diving into the term a little bit.

Condescension seems to be a crucial element of the practice. But that might be tricky to correctly identify sometimes, especially in text. So people might rely on word usage to interpret intent, but it's probably most clear when the women are actually more knowledgeable in the area. That way, we know the men are implicitly claiming their expertise by virtue of their gender.

But what if knowledge is not an issue and a man is just condescending to everyone? What if he doesn't know the gender of the person he's speaking to? Does the fact that the recipient is woman automatically make it mansplaining?

There was a period of time when the term was more a fad and I saw it thrown around a lot on the slightest hint of condescension.

That's can be true also, there is a common sense to the possibility that man are just condescending, even to other man, in another hand it's a fact also that some man can belittle and take a more severe condescending attitude toward woman. Which trigger the deep enmity reaction to some type of feminist.

This confusion is why I prefer to just use the term 'splaining. Men can be condescending to both men and women, and women can be condescending to both men and women. Neither has the monopoly, and neither is immune.

This is more makes sense to me. We cannot just discount and ignore the "man" in mansplaining, it must be there for a reason right?

Last edited:
If a term simply means condescending attitude, why do we need to embed gender stereotypes in it?

People have to have something to b***h about.

This basically says gender stereotypes can be ok in some cases.
I was simply giving you the etmyology of the word. If you want to read into it beyond that, that's your choice.

Stereotypes exist. Whether or not people find them "okay" is going to depend on a number of contextual factors.

If a term simply means condescending attitude, why do we need to embed gender stereotypes in it?

Good question.

I was simply giving you the etmyology of the word. If you want to read into it beyond that, that's your choice.

Good answer for red_elk question. He agree or not with the word concept is not the question, but from the reference it's clear that the background of the word "mansplaining" have things to do with "man explaining to woman about things that is obvious to them".

[OOC] Because this farcical thread is based on gender stereotypes. :)

Well I admit it was a rant, rather than an analytical discussion (while it was that, too, but under the umbrella of ranting). Deep down from my belly. So this was more about expressing grievances of mine than being fair and balanced. But more importantly, it was another example in a very long row of examples of mine where I was trying to be clever or smart by being childish. For on the one hand I ranted, on the other I took care to be able to argue or challenge any critic of mine (which I spear you for now, not wanting to start tiresome and pointless and unwise quote-wars getting bocked down in letter- and word-fetishism), while not taking care to make the most productive post I could make.
It was an indulgence. A bit like vomiting. And, I was not entirely at my own wits.

However......................

You people need to realize that men are perfectly able to unfairly and sexistly (a word?) stereotype women in a quite meaningful way and still be right in their stereotyping in a quite meaningful way at the same time. Because this is happening all the time. And this is the fundamental core issue feminism continously stumbles over by now like a drunken idiot just making noise. That really is my fundamental point. And this unfamental ingnorance is

A) A direct product of female traits making themselves known

and

B) VERY problematic. It causes to force things with blunt force which can easily do more harm than good, but which just as easily is ignored by feminism because they got tunnel vision like a literal tunnel. And the reason I was so vulgar in my OP is that it is ABUNDANTLY clear to anyone with a full indepenent brain and knowledge of the SCIENTIFIC DATA! Rahhhh... SO THIS REALLY INVITED RANTING. But since you yall are most of all aware of the culture noise and NOT the facts, you fed on that instead of seeing my deeper genius.
Which is my fault.

I apologize. :hatsoff:

I was trying to be clever or smart by being childish.

since you yall are most of all aware of the culture noise and NOT the facts, you fed on that instead of seeing my deeper genius.
Which is my fault.

I apologize. :hatsoff:

Bruh, a lot of self-service, you should find someone to play with.

You people need to realize that men are perfectly able to unfairly and sexistly (a word?) stereotype women in a quite meaningful way and still be right in their stereotyping in a quite meaningful way at the same time

A mansplaining in disguise. This kind of carpet bomb generalization are one of the main reason that radicalized some feminist. I don't know, but I feel there is a hidden grudge that you have against women in general, that makes you retreat to elevate your own gender as a form of self-defense mechanism.

Within that time frame, such threads as this would have NEVER crossed my mind.
I sincerely wish it had never crossed your mind to start this one.

Oh, FFS.

Okay, I'm done with this thread. It's 6:30 am and finally cool enough to try to sleep. The Sun just came up and it's RED - likely from the forest fires and the new heat wave. The air is smelling a bit smoky, which means I'm going to have to shut the window.

One of my neighbors came over yesterday to see about our parking arrangement (I'm subletting my parking space for her extra vehicle) and for the life of me, I was too zonked out on sleeping meds to remember if I was adequately dressed when I answered the door.

I've killed more insects in the past week than in the past decade.

Don't anyone 'splain to me why I should not have a grouchy day today.

I see what you are doing. And it is wrong and makes a mockery of my intellect!

You read me wrong, it's just I saw that you are in need of recognition and to be acknowledge that you yourselves are better than other, and also your gender is better than the other gender.

The narcissisms is laughable, yes I made fun of it, because to be honest it's funny. But the source of the narcissisms might be from your own feeling of insecurity and lacking of self-worth, so you project that to the outside world and double it down before anyone ever try to torn down your ego and hurt you, and that's not something that I will laugh about, but you should recognize and do something about it. Admitting that is not loosing, I mean pinpointing a weakness mean you give a room for development, to be better, in Hegelian term it called sublation.

A living Budha or a perfect Don Juan, might something that you want to project, but keeping up with such image would not help you at the long run, even in online community, and believing such thing on yourselves would leave you in stagnation and stop you from growing and get better.

Moderator Action: That's more than enough of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom