1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - August 16th (8/16)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Aug 16, 2020.

1. HixBozo

HixBozo Warlord

I found the dispute of building the Panama canal confusing between multiple reports and tried it myself to see what is possible and what not. And ran into an accidental bug (screenshot below)

So fort-fort is not possible due to restriction two forts can't be next to each other
    Citadel-citadel is not possible due to similar reason

Fort-Citadel-Fort is possible but the ships refuse to enter the citadel. It appears that ships refuse to enter a hex more than a hex away from ocean. I don't know.

I tried to make a Panama canal from Amsterdam to a nearby lake, you can see on the image what the idea was. Anyways here is the bug. For some reason the workboat can enter an inland hex next to a Fort, also on the image a funny boat between Busan and Amsterdam. Clearly a bug is not supposed to happen and is meaningless for a workboat to be there.

Panama Cannal.png

vyyt likes this.
  2. tothePAIN

tothePAIN King

Ships can only pass through land tiles with forts & citadels if they're adjacent to the ocean or another body of water (lakes).

The AI on the most recent hot patch is very good. The religion game feels very fair, even on deity. The AI is founding later but is doing fine into the late game. There's good feel with regards to world projects - the AI is going for them but isn't putting up insane numbers. It feels fair. The AI is also being smart with sanctions, UN, etc.

Regarding the tactical and diplomatic AI, the AI is better than its ever been. The AI will declare war on players that don't build units. There's usually one civilization that gets wiped out, due to being declared on by multiple civilizations. The AI is even using lvl 4 units. There isn't really the possibility of cheesing your way into the late game in the same way as there was previously. (This makes industry much stronger relatively.)

Overall, this is the best patch that I've ever played on.

There is one stretch of the game that still has a bit of a bad anecdotal feeling, at least on Deity. I suspect mostly on deity, but perhaps on immortal and emperor as well. There's a point in the early game where the AI science just takes off beyond what a human player can keep up with. The human player will have 11 techs and the lowest AI (usually an authority AI) will still have 17 or 18 or 19 techs. I think @Stalker0 referred to this in a recent post. The game at this point, for a non early game civilization with huge science advantages or an amazing UU, is simply to try to keep up, build defensible cities, and survive. Then there's a point, usually around spies, when the human starts to catchup. Before that though, the AI senses that the human player is weak and is wiling to be bribed to declare war on the human player. (This still does not seem to be available to human players - I haven't managed to have an AI even express willingness to declare war on another AI or be bribed to do so. Maybe something for @Recursive to look at.)

I'm not sure what is causing this, but its the one area of the game that feels a little bit like vanilla Civ V. The AI is ahead and then its a challenge to keep up. Unlike vanilla Civ V though, the AI will continue to be a huge challenge into the late game.

There aren't any game breaking bugs on this current patch - I would recommend it for the next official patch.

Oh, Progress' initial culture should also be boosted back to 15 culture for techs. It feels a little weak. I used it successfully for a Denmark game with a pearl start, but its early game culture is too weak, even considering the availability of faith bought writers later.

This is probably the most satisfying patch that I've played on, because all aspects of the game mostly feel available, but the tactical and diplomatic AI is sufficient to make it a strong challenge throughout.

3. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

Coop war logic was completely rewritten by me. for next version. As for bribery, G's latest hotfixes improve that situation.

JamesNinelives and tothePAIN like this.
  4. HixBozo

HixBozo Warlord

The screenshot suggests that ships can enter the inland regardless of forts being there or not.

5. Histomen

Histomen Chieftain

Hey found a bug on the beta patch thats happening across any civ i used.
    I click on my portrait to see what my military adviser has to say about the enemies numbers and that game CTD's.

6. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

Long standing bug: do not touch advisors screen. Ever. CTDs will random hammer you.

7. Histomen

Histomen Chieftain

So its random when it happens? I've only been getting it recently so i thought it was the beta patch as i was playing the 6/19 version before it.

8. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

Same for King and Emperor. Especially Civs like Carthage and Morocco are always runaways. On warmonger playthrough does not matter since human can keep up with bonus on conquest/kills but on pacifist playthrough I have yet to win a SV/CV. Diplo or Domination are the only victory condition I can pull out reliably. Human alway one Era behind.

I agree that patch is very stable. AIs are competitive. I'd prefer some nerfing to AIs bonus on King and Emperor to allow players go for CV/SV. Happiness is barely manageable as long you accept to stay from 38 % to 42 % the whole game.

9. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

It is in my experience. Sometime I hit 'V' (hotkey for advisors) and CTD, sometime not. It helped deleting the cache once.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  10. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Thought I'd post a couple of pics from my recent game as Indonesia that I enjoyed :).

Spoiler :
    20200916165933_1.jpg
    Spoiler :
    20200914202230_1.jpg

I had lots of horses and iron but zero coal and aluminium in this game unfortunately. City-state alliances were a saving grace, and once I was able to build Refineries I was back in the game. I also managed to steal coal from one of my neighbours using a great general. One of the few cases where using my GG second actually worked out well. They used their to steal some sugar from me (which I have lots of) and then couldn't respond to me stealing their coal :D. On the southern from, lots of back and forth over territory with Rome. Game felt pretty good, challenging but with good play not insurmountable ^^.

Edit: Open Door is a very popular resolution. Not sure if this is good of bad. Generally AI congress behaviour seems smart. Excepting that everyone likes that I propose Treasure Fleet, but then vote it down each time XD.

I used one of the mapscripts being developed at the moment and it worked well! Now I'm gonna test the other one!
    Yeah. Conflict gets more common as the game goes on, and friendships become more rare. (Whereas earlier in the game they are quite common). Kinda makes sense in some ways I guess. Looking forward to the diplo changes in the next version! :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    vyyt and salty mud like this.
  11. salty mud

salty mud Deity

JamesNinelives likes this.
  12. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I realised that after I made the post lol. Went back to get some haha.

salty mud likes this.
  13. Valvts

Valvts A Plant

which map type is it?

14. salty mud

salty mud Deity

And which victory did you get?

15. HixBozo

HixBozo Warlord

Communitu

16. HixBozo

HixBozo Warlord

Who ? Me ? If it is me I didn't technically win. I dropped the game because I became too strong. Looks like science win if I continue, possibly diplomacy because I control many CS and have 6 vassals.

I was strong from very early in this game. Also I never built a single Great Science academy. I used them to rush techs. I got so much ahead in tech, leading them by an era.

But this is not the main reason. It is because I crushed my neighbours. With minimum casualties, the army is super upgraded, I control 7 capitols.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  17. AndreyK

AndreyK Warlord

It looks like after latest hotfix strategics were nerfed too much. In early game AI offer 1 gold for 2-3 iron or horses, at very best 2 gold for 3. Seems very low

JamesNinelives and LifeOfBrian like this.
  18. HixBozo

HixBozo Warlord

Yes, same here. Luxuries and strategic resources. Very cheap, but it depends on the relations with the buyer. If the buyer is friendly I can sell a resource for 7 gold.

But this is the least of the problem. The bigger issue is that of gold/income inequality. Generally speaking you make much more money on trade routes and from buildings and tiles (plantations etc). Compared to these revenue sources, gold from resources or luxuries is a very tiny source of revenue.

LifeOfBrian likes this.
  19. Solic

Solic Chieftain

In my opinion, trading strategics should in an optimal world reflect the needs of the civilization in question. Having an AI value a certain strategic low or zero if they have many of it should be completely fine.

This should be alongside other motivations like the actual diplomatic environment and for example if they are prone to warfare or not.

20. HixBozo

HixBozo Warlord

And you are right. But he is not offering me accordingly to how much he needs the resource (usually he needs it a lot more like horse or iron scarce), but accordingly to how much he hates me. His value system is based on hate, not on worth.

And he ends up without the resource. Like I said his offer of 3 gold is virtually nothing in my revenue stream of over a thousand, sometimes 2000 gold per turn from different sources.

DukeBrani likes this.