New Beta Version - September 9th (9-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what exactly do you mean by cleaned through? I deleted cache mod userdata and verified game integrity on steam
Sorry if that was vague, but you assuredly have a mod issue, it's just not coming from ICV. I consolidated my mod list by swapping/removing/updating a few, so I can't pinpoint exactly what it was. Make sure you're not loading 3/4UC, that I do know. I've removed all custom civs for now as well.

If you've verified integrity and tried starting a game with bare-bones VP, only for it to still result in CTD, then I'd be stumped.

Somehow I was able to choose Rationalism policy in the Renaissance era.
I suppose this is not how it should be?

You just need to finish 2 trees (or pick a policy 12 times) to move to tier 3 trees.

I see, that's how crazy the amount of cultures I was getting as the Netherlands was lol

Question: did Knights always have Drill 1 ? I noticed that producing Knights in an city with Alhambra grants Drill 1 by default.

I'm still waiting a bit to evaluate Jinete. It is a VERY strong powerspike. Drill 2/Jinete Knights easily 2-shot Swordsman. I'm waiting to go against Pikeman in order to have a more accurate report.

The Spanish court moved to Alhambra after they took it, and it’s in Spain now. It’s just as much a Spanish building as a Moorish one at this point
Not exactly true.
The crown of Castille, whose head was Isabella, owned several kingdoms. Castille, Leon, Seville, Murcia,... Each kingdom had its court in the capital of said kingdom. After the conquest of Granada, a court for the kingdom of Granada was created in the city of Granada itself, initially in the Alhambra, but Isabella never moved there.
Her residence, the royal Court, stayed in Valladolid, in Northern Spain, where she returned and ended her days when the war was over.
Spain did not exist at the time, either. Alhambra is a nasrim building, built by moors, conquered by the germanic people who settled in the peninsula after the fall of the Roman empire, wearing the crowns of Castille and Aragon.

I'm not against the horsey bonus, but it's not thematic. Mounted units were important for their armies, so were cannons at the time, not just in the war of Granada. You could as well give a gunpowder siege unit bonus, with the same logic.

You could as well give a gunpowder siege unit bonus, with the same logic.

Thematic reasons aside, I think a siege bonus would be better. Authority already has an advantage in "field" combat (more units, exclusive combat bonuses). Siege bonus on the other hand just helps finish wars faster rather than winning wars outright

Not exactly true.
The crown of Castille, whose head was Isabella, owned several kingdoms. Castille, Leon, Seville, Murcia,... Each kingdom had its court in the capital of said kingdom. After the conquest of Granada, a court for the kingdom of Granada was created in the city of Granada itself, initially in the Alhambra, but Isabella never moved there.
Her residence, the royal Court, stayed in Valladolid, in Northern Spain, where she returned and ended her days when the war was over.
Spain did not exist at the time, either. Alhambra is a nasrim building, built by moors, conquered by the germanic people who settled in the peninsula after the fall of the Roman empire, wearing the crowns of Castille and Aragon.

I'm not against the horsey bonus, but it's not thematic. Mounted units were important for their armies, so were cannons at the time, not just in the war of Granada. You could as well give a gunpowder siege unit bonus, with the same logic.

It's as thematic as a bonus to cannons or light infantry. It's not uniquely thematic, but nor are those bonuses. It's also a subtle nod to the tradition of the Man from La Mancha. You know the one. :)

G

Can someone confirm that iron is still required for both siege (I think starting at cannons?) and navy (starting at ironclad and cruisers?) in this version? I think maybe we should review how strategics are being used in the game but I wanted to make sure I had some of the basic facts down before making a new thread.

It's as thematic as a bonus to cannons or light infantry. It's not uniquely thematic, but nor are those bonuses. It's also a subtle nod to the tradition of the Man from La Mancha. You know the one. :)

G
K. As I said, I don't mind a mounted bonus. Actually makes gameplay sense.

May I ask why 'Jinete'? Jinete means horseman in Spanish.
Quijote was a poor nobleman who became crazy for reading knighthood novels, and he thought of himself to become a knight of old, in a time where knights were over.
A wandering knight, to be more precise. I fail to see the simil, but maybe you learned the story in some other way.
A 'wandering knight' promotion would feel weird on a regular military unit...

K. As I said, I don't mind a mounted bonus. Actually makes gameplay sense.

May I ask why 'Jinete'? Jinete means horseman in Spanish.
Quijote was a poor nobleman who became crazy for reading knighthood novels, and he thought of himself to become a knight of old, in a time where knights were over.
A wandering knight, to be more precise. I fail to see the simil, but maybe you learned the story in some other way.
A 'wandering knight' promotion would feel weird on a regular military unit...

Jinete does mean horseman, but it was the term used to describe skirmishing melee cavalry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinete

G

A few notes from the last few betas.

1) Lower population overall: Now that I am getting used to it, I don't mind it so much, but it does have some impacts that have to be corrected (see below).

2) Workshops: With the lower overall population, the workshop bonus has gotten a bit too weak to me.

3) Lighthouse: I still miss the +1 base food.

4) Border spread: I do feel the slower border spread, and I'm longing for the old version.

A few notes from the last few betas.

1) Lower population overall: Now that I am getting used to it, I don't mind it so much, but it does have some impacts that have to be corrected (see below).

2) Workshops: With the lower overall population, the workshop bonus has gotten a bit too weak to me.

3) Lighthouse: I still miss the +1 base food.

4) Border spread: I do feel the slower border spread, and I'm longing for the old version.

Re: 4, it's actually been back at pre-adjustment level for awhile now. Maybe just a panacea observation?

G

Re: 4, it's actually been back at pre-adjustment level for awhile now. Maybe just a panacea observation? G

It may be my focus on Authority play lately which I think has slower border growth in general.

So my naval report on the new version: The frigate nerf has helped but I'm still crushing cities, and the AI doesn't seem to have a clue on building any land defense. This time I think the bombardment promotion may need a nerf. I'm going to switch to a more targeting focused fleet and see if I'm still crushing cities or if its a lot harder without the city bonus.

EDIT: So switching to some more targeting Frigates. To give an example, my bombardment 2 frigates are doing 41 damage to the 50 CS Capital, my Targeting 2 Frigates are doing 28. So bombardment is doing just about +50% damage against the strongest CS this civ has to offer.

In other news: Jinete Lancers rip through Tercios, I'm doing 50-60 damage a hit with drill III (so not even with super flanking bonuses or anything). I've been pushing my horses into blitz because I am mowing through there units and taking almost no damage in return.
EDIT: So one thing I think that is hurting the AI. They are building too many Galleasses. The ship is a niche type, it has a short span of life due to the predominance of the Caravel once it comes out, and its position in the tech tree. As a result, the AI has a large force of ships it can't bring to bear like caravels, and it starts out behind in naval conflicts. This siphons gold it could use to purchase frigates. Frigates they can mass as much as they want, but Galleasses should really not massed.
EDIT: Alright, we finally have a game! Now I am attacking Japan, who has cities in the low to mid 60s...so a much harder opponent to test my navy against. Honestly, my bombardment frigates are still chewing through his cities way too quick...but at least I am starting to notice the attrition, both from the land and the fact that he has finally (finally) brought a real navy to fight me. He snipped several of my frigates that took damage from land with this surprise navy (which I did not notice due to the lack of sight on the frigates...an important note). So we will see what he can do.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having this recurring issue where the AI makes an absurd number or workers?
upload_2019-9-12_21-33-11.png

Like, I suppose my vision isn't great on their empire and they COULD just have literally all their workers in their whole empire grouped in that one city for some reason, but I've seen this problem before and don't really understand why it keeps happening. Does the AI just not know how to use the food/defense/whatever thing in production?

Is anyone else having this recurring issue where the AI makes an absurd number or workers?View attachment 534635

Like, I suppose my vision isn't great on their empire and they COULD just have literally all their workers in their whole empire grouped in that one city for some reason, but I've seen this problem before and don't really understand why it keeps happening. Does the AI just not know how to use the food/defense/whatever thing in production?
never saw something like that (9-9) not tried yet

Is anyone else having this recurring issue where the AI makes an absurd number or Like, I suppose my vision isn't great on their empire and they COULD just have literally all their workers in their whole empire grouped in that one city for some reason, but I've seen this problem before and don't really understand why it keeps happening. Does the AI just not know how to use the food/defense/whatever thing in production?
Maybe they are missing calendar? I wouldn't think ghengis would rush it. That's why you dont disable start bias, he needs his plains : )

Maybe they are missing calendar? I wouldn't think ghengis would rush it. That's why you dont disable start bias, he needs his plains : )
Looks like they're using the wet option of the lastest Communitu_79 map, which covers 99% of the world with trees. No plains for poor Temujin.

VP(9-9) + a list of modmods that use to work perfectly. Not very heavy, not any civmod, no 3/4UC
CTD at turn 1

It seems we are many to experience CTD currently. I wish good luck to Ilteroi and G to deal with that. VP is a masterpiece hard to forge.
Better and better ...most of the time

Last edited:
Unexpected consequence of Jinete: it makes mounted units less mobile. The additional attack consumes 1 movement point, which is logical but which I didn't expect. So that makes it harder to attack and withdraw.
(I lost a Knight attacking a unit on a hill, killing it but not able to withdraw as I had expected...)

I'm playing Authority Venice, and I don't quite like that Venice is almost impervious to Unhappiness issue. Sure, they're not necessarily the best warmonger, but once they get going Happiness is not limiting factor for them at all.
(I'll post that in the Venice thread for discussion.)

The last changes to the tech tree are perhaps to Authority's detriment in the early game: if you have Calendar luxuries then you need that, but you also need to research Pottery for Settlers and the bottom of the tree for early units + Statue of Zeus.
if you have Mining resources, then of course you don't care, you're happy...
(By the way, it's really too bad we can't easily do "comparative testing", changing just one parameter and seeing how the civ performs in both situations. I guess it's possible with IGE? I've never used it.)

Finally, Calendar resources in forest still suck. I tend to restart when I get forested Sugar or similar stuff. It constrains your early game so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom