• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Would this NES garner the interest of any? Except, with a bigger background, more complex stats, and such. I'm just brainstorming. Anyone?

PwnNES

Mercenaries: Mercenaries are virtually the only way to raise a large professional army in a short amount of time. Mercenaries, however, are not an inexhaustible resource. Each region has a fixed amount of mercenaries. The price of mercenaries follows an exponential curve so that the more mercenaries hired from one region, the higher their price (following the law of supply and demand). As an individual ruler can’t know how many men they hired, it is recommended that in their orders they refer to mercenary units by their price. The lowest price for mercenaries will be 1 EP=5 units of mercenaries.

Example: There are 100 units of mercenaries in Europe. In Turn 1, only 5 EP are used in Europe to hire mercenaries, which buys 25 units of mercenaries (1 EP=5 units of mercenaries). In Turn 2, 50 EP are used in Europe to hire mercenaries, which buys only 100 units of mercenaries (1 EP=2 units of mercenaries).

The simplist way is to have players hire nameless mercenaries for the turn from a pool of that refills each turn. Mercenaries probably should be regionalized so that what happens in Europe does not affect Asia etc. Different rules could apply in different regions.

Complexity can be added by any or all of the following:
*Fixing the pool size
*Changing the price based on demand
*Naming mercenary armies and varying quality based on experience
*Varying the price of units based on quality and demand
*Varying the period of hire from one to more than one turn

Fixing the pool size: X troops are available (regionally) on a first come first served basis at a fixed price. If you don't get your order in early, you could miss out.

Changing the price based on demand: Players would bid on mercenaries and those willing to pay the most get the troops. Mod would have to assign troops after all orders are in.

Naming mercenary armies and varying quality based on experience; If the mod created say 20 armies that could be hired and their quality changed as they gained experience. Players would ask to hire particular armies on a first come fiorst served basis. named units could also have perferrred afiliations for who they will work for. This works nicely with the next option.

Varying the price of units based on quality and demand: Mod would set the price for named mercenaries based on quality and experience. Better units would cost more.

Varying the period of hire from one to more than one turn: Allow multi-turn contracts.

If you had at least 2 players and one or more NPC providers of mercenaries, it might work.These commanders would have to rent their armies to make money and use the profits to expand the number of troops they had to rent. Battle losses would have to be replaced and new regiments equipped and trained. The NPC players would act as a balance to lessen collusion and other monopolisitic actions.

Retroactive deletion.

Running NGOs when it is difficult to fill all remaining National slots seems kind of absurd to me. This will result in a similar situation seen in TWTUD II or ChaNES where players will prefer to run NGOs than inferior countries/nations/whatever, leaving the Moderator saddled with a lot of NPCs. Many of the NGOs will, due to the usually inevitable powercreep Players want, also become powerful beyond the pale of the scenario short of extensive Mod oversight.

If neither of these is viewed as a problem, then their inclusion is no detriment; however if either is, including them is unwise.
I agree; you need nation players first. I thik if I were going to include Mercenaries, I would have a fixed amount available each turn and set a minimum price. Mercenaries would be hired based on the submission of orders, earliest orders get first claim. Paying a higher price would get you bumped 24 hours earlier in the list. When the troops are gone, they are gone, leaving the nation to recruit levies of some sort.

Do we have an actual WW2 NES running?

Mine is in the WW2 Era, and is a sort of ahistorical WW2is happening now.

I know about yours, I meant "historical".

Azale, thanks!

Always happy to help :)

So what exactly are you planning?

WW2 Powers NES based on Jasons design. Figuring out the techs right now.

Retroactive deletion.

I've been thinking about writing music for NESing. But videos are beyond my technical capabilities.

How about an NES in which instead of being a Christian Europe, its Muslim and we are approximately 300 years ahead of what we are now.

Or we could do a black plague one, like FANES I. I could recreate it, and have some fun. I’ve lost interest in my NES, and after this update, KA BOOM!

Top Bottom