New NESes, ideas, development, etc

The Idea
Basically, this NES is another fantasy-themed NES – there will be elves, goblins, dragons and of course humans amongst a number of other races, some of which I will invent myself. Further elaboration on the basic concept though, I deem that unnecessary. Now to the next part of this introduction.

I've worked out a world with myths, magic and races, and most importantly a history. The players will play as a number of human kingdoms based in the isles to them known as 'the world' – This is, in other words, a fresh fantasy start based around these islands. As this is fantasy, you are allowed a little freedom: You won't have to walk through a whole stone age, bronze age and then an iron age. As incorrect this might be, the reason is that I don't want this to wander around as a history of technology. Yes, technology is an aspect of this world, but I want magic and medievalness to be even with that. So in order to keep flavor, we'll throw away a little realism. I hope that's all right.

What this really means is that each player will have to design a semi-developed fantasy nation from scratch. Do, however, try to imagine a fantasy nation on an early point of its development; while it's cool to have mages wandering around that can travel in between dimensions, it's not really that point we are yet. However, you can have armored cavalry, and magic is also very accepted.

Interesting features in this NES
I have wondered over the idea of fantasy NESes in general. The problem with such NESes is that ancient powers, godly intervenions, artifacts, great people are problematic to include, that is; deus ex machinae are often impossible. This is a problem, imho, since I think some of the greatest events in fantasy are based upon these concepts – the One Ring in Lord of the Rings, the Golgothian Sylex in Magic: the Gathering, and Archimonde's destruction of Dalaran in Warcraft for example – and those events, ancient powers and abuse of artifacts are rendered completely useless in NESes since they simply lead to unfair and unfun play.

My solution to this was simply making this the fresh start it is with somewhat developed nations in a small, secluded island. The players are isolated – unaware of whatever is beyond the great waters, unaware of the space above them, unaware about the depths below. Most importantly, whatever mythos the island nations might believe in, these myths might not be the true myths – and myths have a very important role in this NES.

Unlike research, investing into the knowledge of the past is quite valuable in this world. Forging great artifacts today is uncommon – however, reading the history of your ancestors, a nation might figure out where the old king of the ancient empire lies; and most importantly, if his legendary sword lies with him. Therefore, like researching into new magic, social organizations and technology, one can also research into mythos, eventually mapping out the history of this realm. The means of doing so rely on the player's creativity. Druids can maybe talk to trees, asking them what they remember a century ago, while astrologers can read the stars, priests can ask the gods, archeologists read runes. This should allow some interesting choices for the players as well as allow the said deus ex machinae that I love so much.

Also, you might question why I chose to make players be humans only. One of the reasons is that I want these islands to be as secluded and unaware of the rest of the world as possible; elves, for example, have very long lives and therefore might know more of the past than the average player. Additionally; when the islanders meet the remaining world, they should be surprised from it, not already knowing how it looks by knowing all the races already.

At last when talking about the new features in this NES, I have prepared a racial trait system much alike the concepts found in Magic: the Gathering; this system follows Magic's color pie, which pretty much explains each concept about fantasy personalities and shows where some features are able to work together (Preservating elves and protective humans for example) while other cultural opposites practically makes negotiation impossible (Nature-abiding elves vs. unnatural undead). I have seperated all of the values of the color pie in a number of racial traits. The reason why humans are such an interesting nation in fantasy is that they have all the traits of the other races combined (Fantasy races are always extremes of human ideologies and concepts). Therefore, the players only have the freedom of the trait system if playing as humans. The list is below:

Ambition
An ambitious people values the ability to rise from one state to another. The goal of life is to strife until your entity has reached another level.
Amorality
The ends of actions legalize the means; how you should work is unimportant as long as the final result satisfies the goals.
Chaotic
An individual's freedom is important and untouchable. One should be able to decide for himself; one stays happy as long as he decides for himself.
Community
The family, the nation and the state is a part of yourself, and you are a part of the whole. One's will is dependent of the community, and one must sacrifice for his community.
Consideration
When having a problem, the best solution is often to look it over, and probably research into it. Quality over quantity; thought over action.
Creativity
Art, culture and music is an important aspect of life. Emotions, feelings and thoughts should be expressed and unfold unto the world.
Ethics
There are some rules that should always be abiden. Morality is always a factor when deciding to act in any way.
Faith
Blessing or hating, crafting or destroying, the divine gods must be present in this world; a faithful people is not necessarily the only religious ones, but they value divinities significantly more than most.
Forsaken
Whether divine entities exist or not, a forsaken people have broken with them, either being atheist or having aligned with the powers against the gods.
Impulse
Brief reaction and brute force is usually the best way to resolve a problem. When a problem is taken care of, it's not there anymore; therefore it should be solved quickly.
Instinct
The first of all natural gifts is your guts. All basic needs can easily be archieved when you follow your instinct, and one should act upon it.
Lawful
The judge's hammer, the will of the gods and the state's will above all. Having a safe, strict system allows for the preservation of the greater good and the protection of the people.
Logic
All conclusions need evidence, all thoughts need empirical proof. Decisions always depend on the logic of the mind and objectivism.
Naturalist
A naturalistic people believes that everyone has its place; one is what one is destined to be, and can't change that role. When he was born a prince, he's always supposed to become the king.
Technology
While some might delve in the problems of existence, technology has a solution to everything, is important to promote; a knife chops up the meat for you, and wax wings make you fly.

What importance these traits have is simply how well your people connects with other peoples; that is, alliances between nations that share similar inhabitants are more natural, causing less dissent than an unholy alliance. Also, your national development specializes itself much dependent on your traits. It's not normal for a chaotic people to be that organized, since organization usually takes up a bit of freedom. And yes, conflicting traits are allowed; real humans do, after all, have all of the above traits in some way. Now to the stats themselves.

Nation name/Player: The name of the nation/The active player or NPC playing. The player part is listed as NPC if the nation is playable by a player, and is listed as the leader name if unplayable.
Leader/Race: The leader of the nation/The race of the nation.
Traits: Traits the nation has.
Economy: The amount of EP spendable each turn. This can be invested into economy, culture, mythos, research, military, or whatever you think is fit.
Military: Your military units. They run in 1000s usually.
Navy: The number of ships you have.
Details: Any additional details about the nation.

---------

And that will just about be the ruleset.

Military costs will depend on the nation itself, same goes for navy costs. This game will not necessarily revolve around war, I just tried to keep the stats as simple as possible. Initially, the nations are allowed to pick out 5 traits for their nation and choose a starting location on this map:

Climate map:

Dark blue: Deep water.
Medium blue: Water.
Light blue: Coast or river.
Pale yellow: Desert.
Light brown: Steppe.
Olive green: Temperate.

If you mod that, I'll play it! The game will be rather navy focused...

Always interested in your NES.. curious how you will make these traits have an effect on the game.

Over time will it be possible to gain traits? lose traits etc?

Always interested in your NES.. curious how you will make these traits have an effect on the game.

It will have some effects, however it'll go purely on my judgement, not through any calculator. :) But having Technology as a trait, for example, obviously directs your nation down a technological path.

Over time will it be possible to gain traits? lose traits etc?

That was an idea I had, yes. It's not the thing that happens most often of course. :)

EDIT: And thanks a lot for the comments all, of course. It's quite a help to see appreciation. I feel very comfortable that it's a good project to begin.

What you guys think of this for a simple old ideals NES?

Stats to fill
Country name
Leader: name(or dynasty)/player
Government:
Economy: 2+0=2
Stability: 1
Religion: choose
Army: 2000 spearmen(1)
Navy: 20 galleys(1) OR another 2000 spearmen
Technology: Late Copper age
Description: Leave empty(delete this too)
Long description: The history of your nation, religion, culture and everything else you want to write about.

And that's all you have to fill.

Rules
Economy
This is rather simple. You get a number of points which you spend on various things across your country. You can use a point to train new troops, or to hire mercenaries when those appear. You may want to spend points on building roads across your country, or maybe form fortresses, or maybe just to send settlers to build a new city. Increasing your economy is hard thought and just spending points won't do. New cities may not give you the bonus you wanted if they are not well planned, and some cities may randomly appear in populated areas and just lower your economy! Roads might increase trade and speed of troops, but enemies and threats can use your roads for exactly the same reasons. You economy is based on two main things - Your total state economy which is the first number and your special economy which is the second number and comes from plundering, trade, conquests, tribute, and maybe even whatever your magnificent special cities like trade centers or religious centers mighty bring. Your total economy at start is really what you get when adding all farming and manufactures in your beginning state and later grows as this areas increase in your country and let you have a stronger economy, this number is also much harder to influence. On the other side thought you have the special economy which is much easier to influence, but it is also much sneakier. Trade can give you much needed gold - but loose that trade route for just a moment and all those points are gone, so you better not count on it too much.

Stability
Now this is a strange stat that is mostly for my enjoyment, especially when its low. It is a more story-based stat based on your government changes, military loses, financial problems and amount of enemies waiting to murder you in your sleep from inside your country. Obviously its also good. It goes from -5 to 5, 0 being average stability, which ain't so good if you got lots of people that aren't from your country (conquered anyone lately?). 5 is great, but hard to achieve, especially for empires, and -5... Let's just say I like destroying nations :)

Military
It's exactly what it sounds. Each unit will have a number that shows it normal one-on-one strength against other units (spearmen being 1, for now, as an average). You can create your own troops, and write a short story about how they fight and work - and I will give them a number of their own. You can also use the more average "normal" troops likespearmen , swordsmen etc... All infantry come in packs of 1000 men per economy point (unless you get some special bonus which will be shown in your description), all normal mounted units (horses, camels) get 200 per point and special units, well I will make sure you will know.
The navy is pretty much the same, just that 1 point gives you 10 wooden boats of any kind (unless it is something extra special).

Technology
Your tech rate is kind of like an age. You get to see whats your best metal for usage usually, and it will kind of show what you can build around. For example once one of you reach the Bronze age you can build monuments like pyramids and such. Not all ages will have "late", "early" and such. It really depends on the speed the game is running at the moment. The higher the age, the better techbtw, and no you CANNOT send orders to increase age, that's silly.

That's pretty much everything that's important. Do NOT post until I say so.
And remember this is a STORY NES. So stories do give you nice thingamajigs.

Fanstasy world or FS on earth?

Rip someone elses... countless beautiful maps have been made for the nes to stillbirth.

Lucky, Carmen an perhaps others spring to mind.

Rip someone elses... countless beautiful maps have been made for the nes to stillbirth.

Lucky, Carmen an perhaps others spring to mind.
lol

Maybe I should use RTOR2 rules... Go back to our roots again... Would be interesting...

Regarding my Fantasy NES. Should I include heroes under stats? What do the players want?

Have Hero's in stats as individuals with a power stat that grows and fades over time.

I take my previous words back, I can't seem to find the motivation / invent a proper interface for the game I planned earlier. At least not right now. If someone wants to start a "religion NES" based on those ideas I presented, please do so, and let me know so I can observe how it works out... ;)

And happy NESing to you all, the white ghost shall retreat back to the shadows, at least for now..

EDIT: oh and thanks for the cossack dance, Emu. I'll raise a glass in honour of Great Britain for that! ;) :D

I realize the Philippines was a U.S. Commonwealth but should it really be independent? Is it in HoI2?

Also, Fernando Po should be Spanish.

Top Bottom