New Tech Tree Playtesting + Feedback

Do you mean Axemen? Or Light Swordsmen?

Axemen! I had some in my egypt game. When the Romans attacked I could not build them anymore.

Orchard can be build on any flat land. Intended?

Guilds mentions +production for building the removed grocer.

You could build Axemen at some point? That's not supposed to be possible.

The Orchard stuff is not intended, there was a bug like that before, I thought I had removed it.

East Asian civs (China, Japan, etc.) don't have a unit model for Light Swordsmen, so they appear as red domes on the map.

Update: fixed the Python exception in the city screen, fixed Asian Light Swordsman art.

Last edited:
To follow up on the Axeman thing, do you have a save where you can build them?

I investigated the Axemen thing and know now that I could not build Axemen, but could upgrade militia to Axemen with Alloys and copper available. If you discover alloys axemen are shown as available unit by the way. Hope that helps. :)

Another problem:

AI uses ancient Archers as main city defenders in medieval/early renaissance times. Makes them way to easy to conquer.

I investigated the Axemen thing and know now that I could not build Axemen, but could upgrade militia to Axemen with Alloys and copper available. If you discover alloys axemen are shown as available unit by the way. Hope that helps. :)
Ah, that makes sense. Will be easy to fix.

Another problem:

AI uses ancient Archers as main city defenders in medieval/early renaissance times. Makes them way to easy to conquer.
Will investigate.

Problem may be that Archers are available until Longbows are discovered. So the AI builds Archers as city defenders even if crossbows are available. Straightforward upgrade path archer only to crossbow and skirmisher only to longbow could help the AI as the rolls of archers (defensive) and skirmishers (offensive) are totally different.

The civipedia entry of marine reserve is bugged.

Yeah, although the AI should be aware that Crossbowmen supersede Archers in the city defense role. But if I can't get the AI to prefer them I'll instead force their obsoletion.

Update:
- Militia cannot upgrade to Axemen anymore
- Orchards can only be built on associated resources

There're some bugs in current version.

First, Roman UHV3: first to discover Theology, Machinery and Civil Service, but in Victory Condition in game, also need Architecture and Politics.
Second, in 1700ad scenerio, Turkey and Prussia have no initial techs, don't know if some civs else also have no initial techs.

Also, by the way, I suggest to nerf Turkey in both 600ad and 1700ad, maybe slow down research speed, or decrease initial techs in 1700ad. Too overpowered Turkey in v1.14, somentimes I meet Turkey with machine guns and oil wells when I use America in 1830.

Last edited:
Also this is a Roman save at the start, Epic, Emperor. Obviously AIs research are too fast.

Civ4ScreenShot0141.JPG

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar Iron Age Turn 144 hrtechs.CivBeyondSwordSave
    317.1 KB · Views: 46
Great work, Leoreth. I can really see this changing the direction the mod is going in a very exciting way.
I'll give it a full play-through before I can really give any meaningful comment on this, but so far, this is looking amazing.

Babylon is kinda good right now, me from two years ago would be green with envy.

But in all seriousness the research pace in the beginning of the game is too fast while the research at the end of the game is too slow still. America still hasn't gotten film by the end of the game, for example, and I don't complete the tech tree until just a few turns before the end, despite getting massive tech cost reductions from a small empire size and a bonkers amount of wonders.

Also, some OMG screenshots.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot1316.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1316.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Civ4ScreenShot1317.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1317.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Civ4ScreenShot1319.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1319.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Civ4ScreenShot1322.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1322.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Civ4ScreenShot1321.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1321.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Civ4ScreenShot1320.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1320.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Civ4ScreenShot1324.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1324.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Civ4ScreenShot1325.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1325.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Civ4ScreenShot1326.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1326.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 137
Update: fixed Prussian and Turkish starting techs for the 1700 AD scenario.

I'm unable to fetch this; the drop-down menu button next to branch is greyed out.

Hi! I played two games, these are my observations:

1. Started with Babylon, you can't get the UHV for researching first the techs. Writing is duplicated, and I know I researched all of them first but I still didn't get the UHV.

2. I played as Russia. Railroad is way too far now to get it before 1920. Research is very slow, while some other civs go way too fast. I think someone built the Eiffel Tower (requires railroad) like 150 years before me.

The Great Lighthouse also free lighthouses to inland cities.

Also the code of Turkish and Prussia initial techs has some mistakes. I've test it and find this is the correct code.

iCivRussia : Techs(column=11, exceptions=[iCivilLiberties]),
iCivPoland : Techs([iConstitution], column=11),
iCivPortugal : Techs([iReplaceableParts], column=11),
iCivMughals : Techs(column=11, exceptions=[iScientificMethod, iCivilLiberties]),
iCivTurkey : Techs(column=11, exceptions=[iScientificMethod, iCivilLiberties, iCorporation]),
iCivThailand : Techs([iUrbanPlanning, iHorticulture], column=10),
iCivCongo : Techs([iCartography, iJudiciary], column=8),
iCivNetherlands:Techs([iReplaceableParts, iHydraulics, iPhysics, iConstitution], column=11),
iCivGermany : Techs([iReplaceableParts, iPhysics, iGeology, iMeasurement], column=11),
}]

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0143.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0143.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Civ4ScreenShot0142.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0142.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom