1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Tech Tree Playtesting + Feedback

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Implementation and documentation of the population requirement were inconsistent, now that it's fixed it actually does require the displayed amount (fixed both develop and hrtechs branch).

2. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

2 points I find when play as France in Scenerio 600ad(Monarch Epic)

First, UHV3 can't be counted when enter the game after exit. I play it till about 1300ad and have build Notre Dome and the Versailles, then I save and exit, next time I load to continue and find it unfinished in UHV3.
    Spoiler :

Second, seems AI leaders not change by era, for example, in about 1800ad, Mehmed II still rule Turkey, it should be Suleiman.
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. Leoreth

I'm currently working on an issue that is probably the cause of the UHV bug. It's been fixed already in the main branch, I just need to bring the hrtechs branch up to date.

Made a note about the AI leader switches.

4. Leoreth

Rebased the branch to develop again, fixing a couple of bugs that affected both branches in the process.

Like with the previous display, pulling to your local branch will be rejected. You can resolve this either by doing a force pull ("git pull --force origin hrtechs" in the command line) or by deleting the branch and doing a fresh pull. See here and the subsequent posts.

5. Leoreth

New update: changed/added a couple of tech prereqs. I found a couple of techs that lead only to one other tech, so I added them as requirements where it made sense. I also tried to weave different strands of the tree together more closely to prevent beelining.
    - Shipbuilding requires Leverage instead of Construction
    - Scholarship also requires Engineering
    - Feudalism also requires Politics
    - Logistics also requires Compass
    - Nationalism requires Combined Arms instead of Economics
    - Film also requires Journalism
    - Radio also requires Pneumatics
    - Nuclear Power also requires Social Services

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I fail to see any of these tech changes in spite of pulling the most up to date commit...

7. Leoreth

Sorry, that's what happens when you wait with the commit so you can use the diff to write the forum post. It's up now.

8. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Does anyone have any tips for getting Egypt's second UHV? I keep failing before I get the Lighthouse's tech.

EDIT: Just tried a new strategy. I can build the lighthouse fine now, but I still can't get to the Library's Tech fast enough.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  9. Leoreth

A while ago there've been comments that the AI would only build workshops, and usually disregard cottages. I never taught the AI to take improvement health and happiness into account. The improvement build AI is quite complex, so I wasn't sure how to correctly factor this in, and I could never manage to get the AI to stop building workshops (a new setup developed where the AI would keep forests with lumbermills together with workshops).

In the end I realised that even with unhealth in the picture, the AI was mostly right to just build workshops instead of cottages. Even taking final evolution into account (which the AI does), +2/3 production wins out over +4 commerce with less development time. So I think that mostly showed that workshops were too good. In fact, they are equivalent to mines now.

So I reduced base production to +1 again. There still stronger than before, with 1 unhealth being better than -1 food.

I still kept the AI changes that let it take unhealth and unhappiness into account.

h0spitall3rz likes this.
  10. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

Workshop beside river=watermill, and 1 extra unhealth? Then we would prefer watermill much more.

11. Leoreth

That's an unintended side effect, but making watermills preferable to workshops next to rivers is fine with me. With later technologies they diverge further again (watermills get commerce, workshops get production).

12. xugening

xugening Chieftain

One suggestion:
    Could you merge 2nd uu and ub in to the core mod ? Like Blue Marble and Varietas Delectat.

13. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

America with 1700 start: too many civs are too advanced by American spawn date. They have 4-5 techs lead. Default speed and difficulty.

14. Leoreth

I'll give tech speeds another review after I'm done with the civics stuff. I'm kind of having modder's block with that at the moment.

15. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Most civics run very smooth at the moment, why such a high priority to change anything? But I see your brainstorm thread of course...

16. Leoreth

Yeah, in my mind that is the biggest blocker before the changes are far enough to merge back into the develop branch. So I am focusing on that to get rid of the two branches situation.

17. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Nooooooooooo I'm perfectly fine with the two branches situation, you go and take your sweet sweet time, I don't mind. I insist.

18. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Why so emotional? :)

19. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Because my ideology obliges me to hold others back and keep them from succeeding instead of trying to accomplish something myself. :borg:

I must admit, my motivation is really quite selfish: I want to stay as close to the most recent DoC version as possible with my modmod, but I also want to put off implementing the new tech tree until after I'm done with my alphabetical civ revision and have released a proper installer, or a poor man's installer (zip) if that turns out to be too complicated.

20. Leoreth

You know I put out a powershell script that packs an arbitrary number of Git repos into an install wizard in the tutorials section a couple of months ago? It's intended for DoC and requires tweaking for other mods, but since DoK is basically the same it should be really easy.