[NOT IN DEVELOPMENT] DOC Community Mod Compilation

This is a really interesting idea. I have no idea what it'll do to game balance, but it's certainly much more realistic.

One alternative would be to apply the unhealthiness to the tile itself -- treat a raw livestock tile as equivalent to a wetlands (+0.5 :yuck:, I think?) and a livestock pasture as equivalent to two (or some other scale, idk), while the livestock resource would give +1 :food: to indicate that every city benefits from the more varied diet. That way, proximity to livestock increases disease (ameliorated by smokehouses), but the diet makes livestock worthwhile as a food source.
That is a really elegant solution that fits a lot better with the current in-game system for resources. I love it! I'm going to begin implementing it at once!

I feel that someone should insert an obligatory comment about Jared Diamond's 'Guns, Germs, and Steel'.

I am someone, and I wish you a good night. o/

I feel that someone should insert an obligatory comment about Jared Diamond's 'Guns, Germs, and Steel'.

I am someone, and I wish you a good night. o/

Someone at some point earlier today basically reiterated the main points of that. It's been referred to by everything except name.

I don't feel like adding unhealthiness to livestock is necessary. The complications of having them are already included in the unhealthiness that comes from population. And they improve a city's population, thereby increasing unhealthiness.

Which is exactly why I made my post. Now it is good night for real. :p

Unrelated, but Arabia is fairly reliably losing the war for the Levant and Mesopotamia to the Byzantines right now before immediately collapsing before even the Seljuks.

Yeah, I'm completely lost on how to do the git thing. Downloaded the mod, the git, tortoise git, filled in the URL, directory and branch all I get is:

git.exe clone --progress --branch BalanceAndCivs -v "https://github.com/earthcrafterman/Dawn-of-Civilization.git" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dawn-of-Civilization/DOC Community Mod Compilation"
fatal: could not create leading directories of 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dawn-of-Civilization/DOC Community Mod Compilation': Permission denied
git did not exit cleanly (exit code 128) (63 ms @ 4/22/2018 1:50:19 AM)

New Update

Nerfed Asharittu Bowmen a little
Merged latest Sweden
Yeah, I'm completely lost on how to do the git thing. Downloaded the mod, the git, tortoise git, filled in the URL, directory and branch all I get is:
May I have an image of your Mods folder and another of your selected options?

Polynesia done with no issues! Greece I failed UHV 1 within a few turns of spawn... also I just feel like trying to settle/conquer all the regions I'm supposed to in time might be a bit of a tall order.

Oracle should require fish to avoid this. Turns are increased in this era and hoplite's stats will help you.

Oracle should require fish to avoid this. Turns are increased in this era and hoplite's stats will help you.
I actually switched the Oracle from requiring Fish to a body of water of 20 or more tiles. I'll add fish and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: New Update - Oracle requires Fish again

I made a small PR with code updates. Maybe you want to check it.
I just merged it. Thank you for the help.

I guess now is a good time to mention that I got an error in VS2010 that says something about an error while creating or opening an .sdf file. I'm currently repairing my installation to see if that'll fix it. Because of the time it took to redownload the ISO last night, I was not able to work on the mod as intended.

I've been thinking more about resources and I've decided to buff both crops and animals. I've always hated how weak crops are, how Luxuries give Happiness, Strategics unlock builds, and then Crops give health, which IMO is one of the weakest yields in the game, due to how many places you can get them from.

As such, I've been considering making Crops give 1 Food, adding new health buildings to partially make up for the loss in health, and balancing it such that the increase in food from Crops is countered by increase in unhealthiness from other sources.

Livestock however would give 1 Food and 1 Local Unhealthiness, but the Smokehouse would give +0.5 Health and +1 Food Locally. This would make the Smokehouse far more useful than it currently is, which in my opinion is very bad. This also avoids the issue of the Livestock giving 2 Food, which is unlike any other resource thus far.

Last edited:
New Update

Nerfed Asharittu Bowmen a little
Merged latest Sweden

May I have an image of your Mods folder and another of your selected options?

This? I picked the default settings when DLing everything.

Attachments

• mods folder.png
    mods folder.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 196
This? I picked the default settings when DLing everything.
Looking back at your error message, I noticed that it says
Code:
\Dawn-of-Civilization/DOC Community Mod Compilation

Try switching the / betweeen Dawn-of-Civilization and DOC Community Mod Compilation in the directory box to a \ like with the rest of the line.

Phoenicia done! I love the new 3rd UHV (which I believe is from Bits of Tales? Excuse if its not LOL), and per usual Carthage is one of the most fun games.

Phoenicia done! I love the new 3rd UHV (which I believe is from Bits of Tales? Excuse if its not LOL), and per usual Carthage is one of the most fun games.
I did not touch Phoenecia's UHVs, so that was almost certainly from Bits of Tales.

The new Core area was something I made to better match Carthage's historical role as a collection of colonies. Do you like it?

I did not touch Phoenecia's UHVs, so that was almost certainly from Bits of Tales.

The new Core area was something I made to better match Carthage's historical role as a collection of colonies. Do you like it?
Adore it! Carthage has always been one of my favourite civs so giving them more incentive to build a proper colonial empire is fantastic. The Bits of Tales UHV to Circumnavigate Africa also requires colonies in South Africa and the Gold Coast... it's just a fantastic game.

Oh, interesting, I never noticed that part of BoT.

Looking back at your error message, I noticed that it says
Code:
\Dawn-of-Civilization/DOC Community Mod Compilation

Try switching the / betweeen Dawn-of-Civilization and DOC Community Mod Compilation in the directory box to a \ like with the rest of the line.
Same error message. Bearing in mind that I'm completely new to Git, is there any major step(s) missing from the instructions? Like things you assumed users would have already done prior?

Do I need to DL each modmod within the compilation?

Same error message. Bearing in mind that I'm completely new to Git, is there any major step(s) missing from the instructions? Like things you assumed users would have already done prior?

Do I need to DL each modmod within the compilation?
All you need is for the DOC Community Mod Compilation folder to be empty and pull from BalanceAndCivs. If you do that it should work.

Top Bottom