Random Rants LXXVII: I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no cookies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torsion. Get yourself an ultrasound, buddy.
This came up during my google on the problem. My impression was that this was more severe than my pain, like definitely call an ambulanse pain. If it's not better by tomorrow I'll consider making a move.

This came up during my google on the problem. My impression was that this was more severe than my pain, like definitely call an ambulanse pain. If it's not better by tomorrow I'll consider making a move.

Eh. That depends on severity and tolerance. A slight twist won't be as bad as a total strangulation, and if it twists and then twists back you'll still deal with the post-"oh dear this is rather unpleasant" effect for ~48 hours. An ultrasound will detect any damage, and then a urologist will tell you if you need to go in for some good old-fashioned stitching to prevent future mishaps.

I'm not the best poster child for this, though. I'd had issues with pain down there for a few months and it suddenly heightened one day. I toughed it out for two days and then went to the doctor and the consensus was that it twisted, untwisted, and that I'd be at risk of it twisting permanently if I didn't get it stapled to the 'ol wall of flesh. While the surgery did resolve the torsion problem, it didn't resolve the pain problem for me. :dunno:

I can't believe this is the best evolution could do.
Evolution has a lot to answer for, for both men and women. After over a million years, you'd think some things would have been worked out better.

I've been cycling both yesterday and today. The ice makes the road really jagged so it's a very bumpy ride. Wonder if that's a culprit.

edit: or it's just God panicking because a cute girl invited me to her place next saturday.

I'm imagining something like this:

Angel: Snerk got a date this weekend. Kid might get lucky.
God: Happiness is not meant for Snerk. Intercept it.
Angel: How?
God: I dunno make his balls hurt like a mofo or something
Angel: Why would..
God: Just do that until we think of something better!

Last edited:
It sounds as if Snerk were an early watcher of Miracle Workers, a series featuring Steve Buscemi.
Honestly, I've always wondered how males are able to do anything with their junk always getting smushed up in their underwear. That sounds terribly uncomfortable. Unless they wear boxers, I guess.
Nah, not really. It's a lifetime of training, I suppose.
(and don't ask for imagery, either photographs or diagrams - the mods will be onto us)

Roommate keeps stealing my food even after I informed him nicely that he should stop.

I find his actions somewhat interesting since I had to cover for him (i.e. keeping his illegality a secret) with the landlord already. I feel he's not appreciating his position in this scenario.

Rant: Regular expressions.

Living in a very BLUE Chicago the local fox network has to spent most of it's local advertising time advertising the phrase LOCAL in an attempt to disassociate it from the Trump propaganda network. It is really hilarious how hard they try. :lol:

Roommate keeps stealing my food even after I informed him nicely that he should stop.

I find his actions somewhat interesting since I had to cover for him (i.e. keeping his illegality a secret) with the landlord already. I feel he's not appreciating his position in this scenario.
Stupid is as stupid does, to quote an overrated film.
Rant: Regular expressions.
Eh?

I had a bunch of files with the date formatted as DD-MM-YYYY. It took multiple attempts to change it to YYYY-MM-DD by using regular expressions in my renamer program.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/father-vancouver-measles-outbreak-1.5022891?cmp=rss

Antivaxxers make me so angry. At least this guy later realized it was all bunk.

Vaccines are definitely one of the best all time inventions.
I wonder what all vaccines a person is supposed to have anyway.

MMR is measles, mumps, and rubella right?
TDaP is mainly tetanus (horrifying) which needs a booster every 10 or 15 years, and that gets bundled with diphtheria and pertussis.

I caught chicken pox, so that must not have been a vaccine.

I recently got a Hepatitis A vaccine.
That makes 7 total for me.

Are there any others besides the yearly Flu vaccine?
Why not just mix all of them together into 1 jumbo vaccine? :hmm:
Put them all into a needle gun with 18 needles and a trigger hehehe

**Edit**
Why aren't HPV vaccines for kids mandatory?
This one seems to be everywhere.
In the US, there are 79 million individuals infected with HPV, with more than 14 million new infections annually
80% of sexually active men and women are infected with HPV at some point in their lifetime
There are approximately 11,000 cases of cervical cancer in the US each year, most of which are due to HPV
In addition to cervical cancer, HPV cause other genital cancers, and mouth and throat cancers

Last edited:
I’m snowed in, very snowed in. The snow is so bad, my potential employer delayed the group interview from tomorrow to 2 weeks from tomorrow. I have an agreement with my dad that I’ll move back in with him if I don’t have a job by the time he visits but I don’t want to move out.

Synsena should give his roommate no more than 3 chances before informing the landlord. When I move out, my friend will be homeless and my current roommate will be stuck with the full rent.

Last edited:
I'm pissed off at my supermarket.

I take a lunch to work every day, and eat a lot of sandwiches. So I buy a lot of cold cuts to make those sandwiches. I've been going to one store for years because they had the best deli. Now they're remodeling the stores, and the delis are ruined. They've gotten rid of the signs that tell you what's in stock and what price it is. Their case is now only full of the premium brand, which is twice the price of what I've been paying.

So I go around to all the other supermarkets, and they are all even worse. All the prices are twice what I was paying just a couple months ago. And the selection is gone. :aargh:

I'm pissed off at my supermarket.

I take a lunch to work every day, and eat a lot of sandwiches. So I buy a lot of cold cuts to make those sandwiches. I've been going to one store for years because they had the best deli. Now they're remodeling the stores, and the delis are ruined. They've gotten rid of the signs that tell you what's in stock and what price it is. Their case is now only full of the premium brand, which is twice the price of what I've been paying.

So I go around to all the other supermarkets, and they are all even worse. All the prices are twice what I was paying just a couple months ago. And the selection is gone. :aargh:

Most of the supermarkets here don't have delis. Surprising to me since every supermarket where I grew up had one, and a pretty good one too.

When I first moved here I lived next to an independent grocery store. They had a really nice deli and also sold prepared sandwiches that were suspiciously low priced (fairly priced, mind, but very little if any markup for labour). Now my closest supermarket doesn't have a deli at all. I could order sandwiches from the online grocery but they're something like $7 for a sandwich (hard pass).

Are there any smaller butchers near you? Ones that have delis? Maybe they would be a viable replacement.

Most of the supermarkets here don't have delis. Surprising to me since every supermarket where I grew up had one, and a pretty good one too.

When I first moved here I lived next to an independent grocery store. They had a really nice deli and also sold prepared sandwiches that were suspiciously low priced (fairly priced, mind, but very little if any markup for labour). Now my closest supermarket doesn't have a deli at all. I could order sandwiches from the online grocery but they're something like $7 for a sandwich (hard pass).

Are there any smaller butchers near you? Ones that have delis? Maybe they would be a viable replacement.

Not that I know of. Not anymore, at any rate.

I’m snowed in, very snowed in. The snow is so bad
'ere in upside-down land we're enduring a nasty heatwave. It's getting awful but I still can walk outside.

Rant: I found a PDF copy of this on my hard drive. :scared:

Why aren't HPV vaccines for kids mandatory?
This one seems to be everywhere.
There are a lot of idiotic parents that think if you give a kid that particular vaccine it means you're promoting underage sex and "alternative lifestyles".

I visited my grocery store for the second time in 5 years (had to go to the pharmacy and decided to see what they actually have there now that doesn't make it into the flyers). So I made some notes and will be amending my usual grocery lists accordingly.

The deli there is fantastic. I've become somewhat addicted to their chicken salad. I see they've added a soup station and a couple of tables, so people can actually have lunch right in the store (soup and sandwich).

They have a delivery service (either the manager or assistant manager does those), but I daresay both of you would be charged a lot more than the $10 I have to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom