1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Jan 24, 2021.

1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I can't stand zoos. I went to one just once, and I think it was permanently, emotionally scarring. There's one walking distance from where I live, and I've never been there. Just the idea of going to one makes me feel slightly ill, all these years later. My local aquarium doesn't have any orcas, but I think they do have sharks, penguins and seals. I found the Aquarium less nauseating than the zoo, but I haven't been there in 30+ years, either. I think protected national parks are the way to go. I think there could be some value in artificial population control of some animals, but I think people who hunt animals for fun are deranged.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Aren't zoos a nice natural example of recursion? Human lives in a society, makes lower animals live in a less complicated one.
    At least those beings can't verbally express anything. Imagine having to listen to an old lion going on about how good it had it in the jungle.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Some aquariums I don't mind as much, but I'm all done with SeaWorld. I went once as a kid, but I just can't go there anymore, knowing what I know now. Again, I do like to take my kids to aquariums and zoos to see the animals, but I still feel badly for the animals so I have mixed feelings. The ones that make the animals do tricks rand such as opposed to just letting you observe them are the ones that bother me the most. I also prefer it when the animals have the huge habitats as opposed to the tiny ones... but any way I look at it, they are still prisoners and its still sad. I wouldn't want to be caged/penned up like that.
    I did some time as a pizza delivery guy. You didn't even mention that your vehicle gets absolutely trashed, with all the hard, local miles you're putting on it... stop and go traffic, up and down hills, potholes... you put tons of wear and tear on your vehicle and use a boatload of gas... of which your employer reimburses/compensates zero. Flat tire? That's on you. Worn-out brakes? Tough luck. You have to pay for all of it yourself. Some delivery folks get no hourly pay whatsoever, and only make tips.

Driving 30 mins to deliver a $100 order to someone's house only to have them give you an effing $2 tip, or no tip at all, is one of the worst bag-over-the-head-kicks-in-the-groin I've experienced in any job. If you don't feel like tipping a delivery driver then get off your ass and go get the food yourself. I do recognize that some folks are disabled and have to use delivery for everything, but that shouldn't serve as a justification to hose delivery drivers.

Having done the job myself, knowing the predicament a lot of them are in, I just tip delivery drivers like waiters, and if there is a built in "delivery charge" or "gratuity" I just ignore it and add a tip anyway, because I know that just gets taken by the restaurant half the time.
    Like I said, despite my misgivings, I've still taken my kids to the occasional zoo and aquarium, but I did draw the line entirely at the circus. I would never bring my kids to those. I'm not alone, and I think a decline in attendance finally forced the biggest one, Ringling Bros & Barnum & Bailey, out of business, although there still are other circuses still in operation.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Which is illegal af, but also pretty common. Restaurants are massive sources of wage theft to an extent that there should be national outrage and a push to actually enforce the laws we already have.

5. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

And make more stringent laws. Everyone, whether they get tipped or not, should be guaranteed a minimum hourly wage by their employer. Tips should be an added bonus on top of that, not "I literally need these to survive" money.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

The colour that predominates in your avatar is red. I suspect communism.

7. Sommerswerd

TIL that Grubhub drivers get to see what tip you are paying before they decide to take your order or not. So it seems to me that the amount of the tip would have an impact on: things like 1)whether or not a driver even accepts the gig in the first place; 2)how hard the driver is willing to try to find the location

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

If thinking that everyone deserves a minimum standard of living regardless of what job they work is communism, then call me a communist.

I've heard that before, too (and that the other apps are the same), and also that if a driver refuses to take the order, it will get left open for other drivers, and that the app will increase the amount they offer to compensate drivers for taking the order every time it gets refused until eventually someone takes it.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  9. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I finished my whiskey and i don't even have a buzz.:mad:

Sommerswerd and Sofista like this.
  10. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

That's what enrages me.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I am sure it is a horrible job, and of course I agree there should be an hourly wage or minimum guaranteed wage (not dependent on other parameters) the person doing the job agreed to.
    Regarding hourly wage, however, I assume this could be exploited: you can be slower than you would be, if you know you'll get paid the same anyway, and don't feel like getting back faster only to be sent on another trip.

In my view the best solution would be to be paid enough that you are ok with what you have to do, and then have securities which only allow you to realistically be fired if you actively try to waste time.

That said, again, I am sure it is a very difficult and soul-destroying job, and I am certainly on the side of the worker, not the boss.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

But then you wouldn't be a proper 'Murican!

tjs282 likes this.
  13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Communist.

JohannaK, tjs282 and choxorn like this.
  14. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

15. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Yup, that's right.

The upfront tip is more of an incentive than a true tip.
    And a big one goes to the front of the line pretty much.

Also, if there is a problem the driver will try harder on a big tip.

Most delivery drivers don't know that their personal auto policy does not cover food delivery for profit, so they are even worse off than they know.

Usually it is listed at the top of exclusion section, above committing crimes with a vehicle and street racing.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Cutlass, The_J and Sommerswerd like this.
  16. Sommerswerd

Try again. It works better when you do it multiple times, especially in rapid succession.

17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I ran out, no moar drinking until friday.

18. Samson

Samson Deity

I do not get this recent trend of complaining about people saying nasty things on the internet.

Do not get me wrong, the world would be a better place if everyone was nicer to everyone else. However, online abuse is older than the internet, as are the tools to combat it *. Is not the whole thing about millenials that they grew up with the internet, how is it that oldies like me have to tell them how it works?

Spoiler * :
    The 3 main ways to combat online abuse, in descending order with about an order of magnitude of importance between each:
    1. Personal anonymity.
    2. Choice of fora
    3. Use of clients that filter content

19. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

But maybe this is the right trend, and this might change the mindset of some people. That would be the best case.

20. Samson

Samson Deity

It might, and that would indeed be a good thing. However, I would not hold my breath, and the measures I recommend are pretty much sure to help.

The_J likes this.