1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I am certain that a number of shows on british tv in the late 90s-early 00s could never be there now. Back then abuse was regarded as just funny :o
    It is even more obvious in comedy: if the comedian can't say stuff, they run out of material pretty fast. Even if they are decent and can come up with a few sets that are funny and don't contain anything offensive, it's not viable in the long run.

I think the solution is to be purely cerebral. And kill those who can't be :yup:

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The CBC website (where I get my news and post comments) put in a new policy a few years ago to require that everyone use their real names. Said names would go through a vetting process before being accepted. This was meant to prompt people to be nicer.

It didn't work, and the moderation there is insanely inconsistent. Say something factual and neutral and your comment gets "deactivated" (someone made a Borg reference to that the other day when I mentioned being "deactivated" for typing the words "Margaret Atwood" and "The Handmaid's Tale"). I've seen threads of nonstop abuse be allowed to remain.

Apparently some of Canada's dead Prime Ministers have decided to comment from the grave, given that Robert Borden is a commenter there. Deanna Troi is commenting from the 24th century, and Reggie Mantle is commenting from the Archie comics.

Of course I can't be a hypocrite; I don't use my real name there, either (considering my political views are almost opposite to how most people think and vote here, I'd be an idiot to make myself a target). The name I use does sound like a real name (it's a character from one of my favorite novels)... so real, in fact, that I've been told to "go back where you came from" as it doesn't sound like an "Old-stock Canadian" name. I also occasionally get mistaken for a male poster by people who can't spell.

But it goes to show how idiotic this "real names policy" is, when they can't tell the difference between real people and Star Trek characters.

Has this made me a nicer person on that site? No. Would it make me nicer there if I absolutely had to use my real name? No. My opinions don't change depending on what name I'm using. There are lines I don't cross, however, such as commenting on politicians' or royals' underage children.

I'll admit that one of my favorite Britcoms would never make it on the air nowadays. There's some racist and sexist content in Are You Being Served? that would definitely not meet modern standards. As time goes on, I find myself not rewatching the worst episodes.

I actually met a Walmart clerk that reminded me of Mrs Slocombe (in a bad way; that character could be a real (w)itch when she wanted to be).

GenMarshall, Kyriakos and Samson like this.
  3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

In a forum like CFC, anonymity diminishes over time as a community builds and moderation filters the content to keep things civil. :)

4. Samson

Samson Deity

Indeed. See my point 2 (Choice of fora), and I am here quite a bit.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

You're a funny guy. :lol:

6. Samson

Samson Deity

The beeb is supposed to be a public service and advert free (at least in the UK). This is on the front page of bbc news ATM, and how can it not be an advert? Who is lining their pockets I wonder?
    Spoiler BBC Advert :

7. tjs282

tjs282 Stone(cold)fish

If we're ranting about the BBC website, can we also talk about their crappy GDPR "compliance"?

BBC website GDPR settings.png

This is just the upper fifth of the list (scrollbar highlighted).

And every single "Legitimate interest" slider (there are 7 of them in total) has to be individually deactivated...

Samson likes this.
  8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Really? I didn't see that.

9. Samson

Samson Deity

I guess it is personalised then. It is still there for me, on the second row of stories.

If it is personalised, I think they do not know what they are doing. I cannot imagine there are many people further from boohoo's target audience than me.

10. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Oh, I found it, hiding in the top corner.

Spoiler for BBC News image :
    upload_2021-5-5_10-30-6.png

On the other hand, I can't see this article without thinking of the 80s song The Time of My Life.

upload_2021-5-5_10-33-42.png

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

"Personalization" and A/B testing is how they figure things out and learn better placements.

12. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The point is that public stations are supposed to be commercial/ad-free.

That's obviously a thing of the past. Yes, the CBC has commercials. Yes, the CBC has a 2-tier streaming service on its website, but they missed by a mile in persuading me to actually pay for additional content that I'm already paying for in my cable package (their 24-hour news channel). So I keep my ABP activated and am not bothered by the ads (though there are blocks of space here and there that have the word "advertisement" in them).

The CBC receives $$$$$$$$ of funding from the government every year. Gem, their streaming service, should not need to charge for the 24-hour news channel. And we have 2 more main news anchors than we need (they promoted 4 of the next tier when the main anchor retired; it should be obvious by now which should be kept and which not).

And speaking of Gem, I still have one season left to watch of the show I was binge-watching awhile back.

13. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

The trick is to punch up when you're being offensive. Don't tell jokes that are just "here's my take on this old racial stereotype that you've heard some variation of a thousand times," tell jokes about people in positions of power.

Kyriakos and Samson like this.
  14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

The UPS for my computer stopped working.

15. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Have you tried using FedEx?
    I'll see myself out.

Cutlass, Arakhor and Valka D'Ur like this.
  16. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

So they have this wearable airbag vest that motorcycle guys can wear to not die so frequently.
    https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/klim-ai-1-airbag-vest

$12 a month or the airbag won't work.
    <3 America

Cutlass, Sofista and Samson like this.
  17. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Rant: I am a drunk and a waster ! Just like my dad would always say I will be. He must be proud in the afterlife.

18. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

You're not the only one drunk.

AdamCrock likes this.
  19. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

How can they be so cruel?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57037250

EgonSpengler, Sofista, The_J and 2 others like this.
  20. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Had a fight with my GF on Sunday evening, and apparently she's still mad :/.