RANDOM RANTS XLVI: Slightly More Than a Month-ly Edition #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing I'm not in the Midwest and don't have all of our natural features named after the state. Damn me if there's a Virginia City on a Virginia River.

Hey, at least we're not Kansas City. Sitting on the Missouri river in Kansas and the Kansas River in Missouri.

The rivers, cities, and states are named after aboriginal American tribes. It's not weird or mixed up or goofy unless you're a yahoo from the flyover coasts.

(my God, that felt good to say!)

Good thing I'm not in the Midwest and don't have all of our natural features named after the state. Damn me if there's a Virginia City on a Virginia River.

they're next to Lee Rd.

Take lee jackson down to jackson and cross over to Old Lee and boom, you're there.

all roads in nova are a variation of lee or jackson :dunno: both loudoun and fairfax

I mean highway 50 is Lee Jackson highway, etc etc. any combo you want, you got it!

just like how atlanta has roughly 45 "Peachtree" streets. North peachtree, peachtree, etc etc.

all roads in nova are a variation of lee or jackson :dunno: both loudoun and fairfax

I mean highway 50 is Lee Jackson highway, etc etc. any combo you want, you got it!

just like how atlanta has roughly 45 "Peachtree" streets. North peachtree, peachtree, etc etc.

Ohhhh I thought you meant there is a Virginia City/River next to US 50.

But yea that makes a bunch more sense now.

Numbered streets (in Charlottesville) ftw.

Ohhhh I thought you meant there is a Virginia City/River next to US 50.

But yea that makes a bunch more sense now.

Numbered streets (in Charlottesville) ftw

You can thank us for tearing up all the named roads in town during our little family fued and replacing them with numbered ones.

Added bonus: rubble and carpetbaggers!

I'm getting an habit of getting home, grabbing a glass, a bottle of alcohol and a can of something not alcoholic and filling the first with a mix. Today, Vermouth Cinzano Rosso with Shweppes Indian Tonic. Not bad. Not as bad as Cinzano alone, I mean.
:vomit: You're having love and university troubles turn into alcohol problems. No, no, no. Tell your family, tell someone. Get it out. But don't fall into the booze.

Don't people notice the drop in alcohol levels?
Fireball??
One of the greatest albums evur.
I'm currently one of eight people enrolled in a high level philosophy class...
Too many people. We can have the rest liquidated.
A lovely woman from Georgia (USA, not the old SSR) saying pretty much anything?
In cowboy boots?
Oh, thank God. Cuz I was thinking Golden Girls and really cringing...
Not everyone is interested in womenfolk your age, Mr. V.
Numbered streets (in Charlottesville) ftw.
How can you not tell between all the types of peachtree streets?

Rant: Still drying off five hours and two lectures missed later...

The rivers, cities, and states are named after aboriginal American tribes. It's not weird or mixed up or goofy unless you're a yahoo from the flyover coasts.

(my God, that felt good to say!)
Wait, there were natives called the Red Sticks? :crazyeye:

VR, a ton of features are named after native tribes here too. :p
Yeah, like the Pulaskis, the Carolines, the Dinwiddies, the King Williams, and the - oh, wait.

Wait, there were natives called the Red Sticks? :crazyeye:
Red Stick Creeks were a loose association of villages that rebelled against the Creek council in 1812-13 due to internal power struggles and social tensions there. The Creek national council called in the local American Indian Agent, who brought in militia from neighboring states to try to control things; as a result, Red Sticks attacked an American outpost in Alabama, Fort Mims, and massacred the soldiers, civilians, and Creeks there. This led to Andrew Jackson taking overall command in the theater and instituting a war of extermination, in which he killed off the Red Sticks and made the loyal Creeks pass under the yoke (with the aptly named "Treaty of Fort Jackson").

This Creek War is usually associated with the contemporary War of 1812, even though the British were barely involved and the Spanish didn't want to be involved but also didn't have much of a choice. The association is strengthened by the fact that Jackson later took his troops to defend the Gulf Coast against the British, which culminated in something called the Battle of New Orleans, about which you might've heard. And since the Battle of New Orleans was essential to American national mythmaking after the war, the Creek War was sort of crammed in alongside it.

Oh that Andrew Jackson and his Indian-hating, ethnic cleansing ways, what a lovable scamp! Should have crowned him.

Even if "King Andrew the First" wasn't objectively wrong, who in the hell writes out their regnal numerals in full?

Even if "King Andrew the First" wasn't objectively wrong, who in the hell writes out their regnal numerals in full?
The Famous History of the Life of King HENRY the Eight [sic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom