RANDOM RANTS XLVI: Slightly More Than a Month-ly Edition #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of it this way: Any discovery brings us one step closer to finding what you want. We're all but little babbies when it comes to space and knowing how it works and what's in it. Fret not, for we shall learn more and more. ;)

Now, discovering it in your lifetime... That's a whole other thing. :)
My fingers are crossed and I'm holding my breath.

*Passes out*

Oops. ;)

You know, if you lived on a circumbinary planet you wouldn't be amazed at all.
QFT. I know enough of human nature to realize that this would be accurate, even for me. Although I'm sure there would be some people who would still be amazed (dunno about myself), the fact that circumbinary Earth analogs are likely to be quite rarer than other orbital configurations of other Earth analogs might contribute to some people's desire to find circumbinary Earth analogs had we been on a circumbinary, especially when we'd realize our world was more unique than most.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Space has a habit of proving us wrong sometimes.

But what would the climate be like on a planet orbiting two suns? I've got a feeling that it would experience some radical extremes.

The suns would be located at the two foci of the ellipse? Yes?

We're waiting, random. ;)

But what would the climate be like on a planet orbiting two suns? I've got a feeling that it would experience some radical extremes.

You mean one at perihelion and the other at aphelion? Not quite. ;)

One thing I learmed from gravitational simulation software (such as universe sandbox), and more recently, Kepler data, is that there seems to be a "rule of three", where a circumbinary object's orbit needs to be at least three times the orbital separation of the binary to be stable.

For an Earth analog in that situation, yes the climate would be chaotic, so the two suns should preferrable be close together enough to minimize the climate extremes. I think for two sunlike stars, their orbit period is preferentially 10 days or less, and the Earth analog a bit farther than 1 AU to compensate for the added light and radiation from the second sun.

I'm afraid the planet could only orbit them so far away that it's well beyond the habitable zone. Might be wrong.
I find it cooler to live on an Earth-sized moon of Jupiter at real Earth's orbit. There could also be other moons that would be inhabited, opening a lot of possibilities.

After two and a half years, what have you still got to lose?

Dignity. The alternative is ask her out right before you two will never see each other again (Whether it be a new job, school, whatever), mitigates any awkward risk :p

"But azzaman, if only you'd asked me two and a half years ago! Now, sadly, it's too late," she cooed.

Spoiler :
I used to dither like crazy over women. Nowadays I just come out with it early on - and then I stop worrying about it. Whether they turn me down or not. And if they turn me down (which they do), I tell them to let me know when/if (depending on how cocky I'm feeling) they change their minds.

'Stuff it,' I said to myself at one stage. 'I'm not playing this stupid game with myself any longer.'

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12380220#post12380220

Or...

"Azzaman333, aww that's sweet. But I am not really interested. But don't worry, I will only look think of you as 'that guy' for the next 1-3 years"

I did sorta ask her out 20 or so months ago, but it was so awkward and weird that i dunno if she even realised what i really meant. But, irrelevant to that, i just continue to hate myself for not doing anything rather than acutally doing something because i dont want to draw any attention to myself.it makes no sense and it shs me up the wall that i continue to do this bs, despite knowing that it does me more harm than good.

Not knowing is far worse than knowing. I know that you are extremely nervous but just try and talk to her and first see if she is seeing someone and then see where it goes from there. Someone is going to have to take the first step and it should be better if it were from you. Even if she only likes you as a friend, you at least know where you stand in the relationship and if need be move on to finding someone else. the first move is almost a movement of faith, since you don't know how it will end, but if you just stay still on this, she will move on and any chance you had with her disappeared while you just stood still.

you dont say.

seriously, im well aware that im doing it wrong. i dont need anyone to tell me, nor am i asking for advice. im just ranting about my stupid non-decisions

Azza - ask her out already!

@Synsensa - sorry things aren't going so well my friend.

First World Problem:
If you are in Rolla, MO, avoid AAA Taxi. I waited an hour for a cab to show before I finally took off running to get to my interview (and destroyed an umbrella in the process in the pouring rain/howling wind). The cab showed up 2 hours after I called which was 10 minutes after my interview had concluded.

I can't get a date for my school's senior ball.

The only girl I was interested in couldn't go to the prom with me, or perhaps didn't want to. So I moved on. High school sucks, college will be much better.

As much as I want to, I can't bring myself to do it for whatver reason. There's always an excuse, and I'm awlays way too happy to use it.

Honest to god, stop that. The one guaranteed way of continuing your anxiety and also ensuring you will never date her is not asking her out. Just do it

Someone took a dump on our roof a few days ago, but I did see a gazelle and some baboons yesterday so that was interesting. For what it's worth, they were totally unrelated events.

Right. OK.

What if one sun was substantially smaller than the other?
Like a sunlike G star and a small, Proxima-sized red M star? Binaries like those are my least favorite, tbh. But regardless, a smaller second sun means the planet does not have to be as farther out from the system's center for the compensation.

I'm afraid the planet could only orbit them so far away that it's well beyond the habitable zone. Might be wrong.
Yes and no. ;)

Circumbinaries are complicated beasts, that's for sure. Anyways, I've read an article or two indicating that the circumbinary would have to deal with the constantly moving habitable zones of the individual suns, although I noted it seemed to forget that the heat, light, and radiation of the second sun adds to the heat and light and radiation of the primary, which is why the circumbinary needed some extra distance as compensation.

I find it cooler to live on an Earth-sized moon of Jupiter at real Earth's orbit. There could also be other moons that would be inhabited, opening a lot of possibilities.
There are currently searches looking for "exomoons" although we've yet to find one.

Moderator Action: Continue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom