1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RANDOM RANTS XLVI: Slightly More Than a Month-ly Edition #1

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Joecoolyo, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

My fingers are crossed and I'm holding my breath.

*Passes out*

Oops. ;)

QFT. I know enough of human nature to realize that this would be accurate, even for me. Although I'm sure there would be some people who would still be amazed (dunno about myself), the fact that circumbinary Earth analogs are likely to be quite rarer than other orbital configurations of other Earth analogs might contribute to some people's desire to find circumbinary Earth analogs had we been on a circumbinary, especially when we'd realize our world was more unique than most.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Space has a habit of proving us wrong sometimes.

2. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

But what would the climate be like on a planet orbiting two suns? I've got a feeling that it would experience some radical extremes.

The suns would be located at the two foci of the ellipse? Yes?

3. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

We're waiting, random. ;)

4. PlutonianEmpire

You mean one at perihelion and the other at aphelion? Not quite. ;)

One thing I learmed from gravitational simulation software (such as universe sandbox), and more recently, Kepler data, is that there seems to be a "rule of three", where a circumbinary object's orbit needs to be at least three times the orbital separation of the binary to be stable.

For an Earth analog in that situation, yes the climate would be chaotic, so the two suns should preferrable be close together enough to minimize the climate extremes. I think for two sunlike stars, their orbit period is preferentially 10 days or less, and the Earth analog a bit farther than 1 AU to compensate for the added light and radiation from the second sun.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Right. OK.

What if one sun was substantially smaller than the other?

6. LamaGT

LamaGT Emperor

I'm afraid the planet could only orbit them so far away that it's well beyond the habitable zone. Might be wrong.
    I find it cooler to live on an Earth-sized moon of Jupiter at real Earth's orbit. There could also be other moons that would be inhabited, opening a lot of possibilities.

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I did sorta ask her out 20 or so months ago, but it was so awkward and weird that i dunno if she even realised what i really meant. But, irrelevant to that, i just continue to hate myself for not doing anything rather than acutally doing something because i dont want to draw any attention to myself.it makes no sense and it shs me up the wall that i continue to do this bs, despite knowing that it does me more harm than good.

you dont say.

seriously, im well aware that im doing it wrong. i dont need anyone to tell me, nor am i asking for advice. im just ranting about my stupid non-decisions

8. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Yeah. I know how you feel. You rant away. Does it help to rant?

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Azza - ask her out already!

@Synsensa - sorry things aren't going so well my friend.

First World Problem:
    If you are in Rolla, MO, avoid AAA Taxi. I waited an hour for a cab to show before I finally took off running to get to my interview (and destroyed an umbrella in the process in the pouring rain/howling wind). The cab showed up 2 hours after I called which was 10 minutes after my interview had concluded.

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Yes it does.

As much as I want to, I can't bring myself to do it for whatver reason. There's always an excuse, and I'm awlays way too happy to use it.

11. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

The only girl I was interested in couldn't go to the prom with me, or perhaps didn't want to. So I moved on. High school sucks, college will be much better.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Honest to god, stop that. The one guaranteed way of continuing your anxiety and also ensuring you will never date her is not asking her out. Just do it

13. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Inspiration to back up his point...

Link to video.

Go buy some nikes and ask her out!

14. madviking

madviking north american scum

Sorry bro. :(

15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Then don't go. Save yourself money and spend the night on CFC!

16. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

I have enough incentive to go without one, and I do have a friend from another school who may be able to set me up possibly. So I've got my fingers crossed. But still, kind of a bummer.

Here is a new thread.

17. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

18. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Someone took a dump on our roof a few days ago, but I did see a gazelle and some baboons yesterday so that was interesting. For what it's worth, they were totally unrelated events.

19. PlutonianEmpire

Like a sunlike G star and a small, Proxima-sized red M star? Binaries like those are my least favorite, tbh. But regardless, a smaller second sun means the planet does not have to be as farther out from the system's center for the compensation.

Yes and no. ;)

Circumbinaries are complicated beasts, that's for sure. Anyways, I've read an article or two indicating that the circumbinary would have to deal with the constantly moving habitable zones of the individual suns, although I noted it seemed to forget that the heat, light, and radiation of the second sun adds to the heat and light and radiation of the primary, which is why the circumbinary needed some extra distance as compensation.

There are currently searches looking for "exomoons" although we've yet to find one.

Moderator Action: Continue here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.