Random Rants XV: Like a Fine Whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes yes half life 1998 too and its mods, and the first mmorpgs etc.

dude, the mid 90's were the start of internet gaming, it developed fast, so 1 year here or there changes a lot.

none of you have still pointed out 1996(and first half at that) games that are still as popular.
(hint, dont look for 3d games. quake was the first popular online one)

While we're playing that game, how about we limit it to only games released in May, hmm? :p That's nothing but an aversion tactic. Quake has been blown out of the water and nobody but you plays it anymore. Starcraft's battle.net was absolutely revolutionary, btw, and did far more for internet gaming than Quake ever could.

Also, I have a few words for you:
Diablo
Resident Evil
Super Mario 64 (This one alone is played more than Quake and isn't even multiplayer. I guarentee it.)
C&C: Red Alert

All are far better and have had a more lasting impact on gaming (hence, things like non-sucky sequels), which screws your TF2 argument. If you want to play the "respect your elders" card, all I have to say is Doom.

If you want to find a competitive FPS, play CounterStrike.

Rant: Data entry is tedious, even with reading material.

I was thinking along the lines of sniper on defense for one of the linear maps. (eg dustbowl)

Nope, soldier. Forget the maps, there was one with the bridge in the middle with a capture point on it, and another that had a capture point inside like a little shed thing in the middle of a big open spot and a bunch of buildings.

While we're playing that game, how about we limit it to only games released in May, hmm? :p That's nothing but an aversion tactic. Quake has been blown out of the water and nobody but you plays it anymore. Starcraft's battle.net was absolutely revolutionary, btw, and did far more for internet gaming than Quake ever could.
quake uses the master server principle too.

Also, I have a few words for you:
Diablo
Resident Evil
Super Mario 64 (This one alone is played more than Quake and isn't even multiplayer. I guarentee it.)
C&C: Red Alert
diablo isnt played as much as quake(yes ive played both online this year). my criteria was online games. nintendo games are rarely played online(through emolution)
All are far better and have had a more lasting impact on gaming (hence, things like non-sucky sequels), which screws your TF2 argument. If you want to play the "respect your elders" card, all I have to say is Doom.
no doubt doom must be respected. but it wasnt an internet gaming, the first popular full3d shooter game, revolution like quake was, first popular opengl supporting game.

If you want to find a competitive FPS, play CounterStrike.
played it for 5 years. competitive. but doesnt demand anywhere near the amount of skills quake does.
quake is STILL the fastest fps.

ironically, cs, in its early beta days with faster movement was far more demanding than after retail launch when it became a real competitive fenomenon.

quake uses the master server principle too.

Wasn't referring to just the master server principle.

diablo isnt played as much as quake(yes ive played both online this year).

I beg to differ

my criteria was online games. nintendo games are rarely played online(through emolution)

Not part of your actual "challenge", but even granted that you've qualified what Quake is the best of so much that it's meaningless. "Best online game from the first half of 2006?" Laughable.

no doubt doom must be respected. but it wasnt an internet gaming, the first popular full3d shooter game, revolution like quake was, first popular opengl supporting game.

So either online = better or you've narrowed down the type of game Quake is the best of (or first of) even more.

played it for 5 years. competitive. but doesnt demand anywhere near the amount of skills quake does.
quake is STILL the fastest fps.

It takes skill to kill a man from 1200 yards away with a spear, but why would anyone do that now?

The genre has progressed. Also, fastest = best? Even so, I'd like to introduce you to a few friends who play Ultima Online and some open source variants thereof.

ironically, cs, in its early beta days with faster movement was far more demanding than after retail launch when it became a real competitive fenomenon.

Yeah, they realized that too fast was not only not fun, but the wrong kind of challenge to introduce into the game and the newer, slower, more realistic version became the competitive FPS titan. Boom, (self) roasted?

Not part of your actual "challenge", but even granted that you've qualified what Quake is the best of so much that it's meaningless. "Best online game from the first half of 2006?" Laughable.
ok, ill requalify as online game from 1900 to 1996.

you might be right on diablo though, private games , possibly other peak hours , etc

my point isnt to force my taste on fps's onto thers, just show that claiming that 50 people simultaniously still playing it is laughable is an ignorant statement, considering the era of the game and its pioneering status.

my point isnt to force my taste on fps's onto thers, just show that claiming that 50 people simultaniously still playing it is laughable is an ignorant statement, considering the era of the game and its pioneering status.

No, I'm pretty sure the number of people who play each game is pretty indicative that your initial claims of superiority for Quake and the supporting reasons epic fail.

Whether it had an impact on gaming is an entirely seperate matter, and trying to blur the lines is ridiculous at best.

No, I'm pretty sure the number of people who play each game is pretty indicative that your initial claims of superiority for Quake and the supporting reasons epic fail.

Whether it had an impact on gaming is an entirely seperate matter, and trying to blur the lines is ridiculous at best.
appeal to authority

Random rants, eh?

There simply is no reason for anyone in the world to have to lace their shoes. Everyone knows that quite simply, Velcro is the superior form of keeping your shoes tightly wrapped around your feet. And another thing, what's the deal with those little tabs of plastic on the end of your shoelaces? It's a waste of plastic, they should just use glue. And not that fancy synthetic kind, either... I'm talking old fashioned horse glue. And what's the deal with all these whiny liberals who care about cruelty to animals? Why if God didn't want us to be cruel to animals, he wouldn't have given us dominion over them, it says so in the Bible. And if God said it, that ends it. No discussion! I don't want to hear what fallible men have to say, I only care about the inerrant word of God! The other day God spoke to me and he says to me "George", which wasn't my name until he said so, (praise his name) he says "George, I want you to bake a nice glazed ham and then eat it, because if you do, all the angels in heaven will get their wings." Well not being one to question the almighty I drove down to the nearest pig farm and I stole a pig, wrapped it in tin foil, and shoved it inside an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit at 18 minutes a pound, and then I began to amuse myself by playing water polo with a French abortionist. Now I told him that I didn't think anyone had a right to abort French people, but that was besides the point because when I looked at him again, I realized I was talking to the pig. Now how did he get out of the oven? It is a question that has puzzled mankind for decades. I've never been one for small talk, but in 1845 I decided I was going to join a wagon train headin' for Californee, to stake a land claim and get as much gold as I could eat. But on the way there I met an Injun named Lassie who looked suspiciously like a dog but I didn't hold it against her, and we married and had 17 grandchildren, followed by a son and three pups. On the seventh day we rested in a little motel called the Squeaky Box Spring, which had a buzzing neon sign and it was missing several letters, and inside that motel I turned on the TV to see that Middle East peace had happened, and I decided at that point on that I would become a Zoroastrian, but I couldn't locate my pants. Next, after the bacon highway was constructed, and my feet were covered in bacon bits, I decided to take a trip down to Tijuana and see what all the fuss was about, and when I got there everyone was dead. I immediately called the donut shop to let them know not to bake so many donuts, and good deed done, I went back to the United States, land of the free, home of the brave, to get re-acquainted with my old nemesis, Snaggletooth the Inscrutable. We were about to do epic battle with ninja weapon ultimate spectacular, when the entire shelf exploded with beans. The broccoli hammer was exhausted from all the tarantulas, shakin' shakin', but every time I turn around I die a little. Every time I say goodbye I cry a little. The tuna was prickly after 5PM on a Wednesday in Jerusalem, but that didn't seem to faze me one bit. I knew that after all those drugs he took, he would need medical attention. So I decided to break out my homeopathy emergency kit and I filled a water balloon with scented candle wax and I slapped him in the face with it and he was cured, or so I would have you believe. My lawyers have advised me not to eat the beefsteak. However, that pales in comparison to the crab people, of which I am several. Teddy Bears, he said furtively, were discombobulated pixie stix, except when the moon is full of porcupine blood. After laughing hysterically, several of us decided to enter the teabag for great justice. Pringles give you cancerous lesions on your textbook banana, and I led those lesions to victory at the Battle of Vulgar Reference. Please remove vulgarity, moderator action requested. Already done, sir, for I saw into the future and I knew from rubbing the frogs together that this is what you want from me. Don't laugh, it's only Rush Limbaugh wearing a tutu, saying "I'm a beautiful little girl but sometimes I do the naughty with Dick Cheney and Obama sounds like Osama ha ha ha applause I made a discovery plus I'm rich." But the liberals all weep because they know that it is only a matter of time before the clone wars. So sayeth the cow, "cluck" gastroenteritis berries.

Wall of text. Didnt read. Paragraphs are your friends.

appeal to authority

Not a false authority. An appeal to authority isn't inherently fallacious. Yeah, the number of gamers playing the game and modding it and participating in events for multiple years doesn't indicate that it's good. That makes sense...

I'm stuck at our summer house with awful weather and crappy connection :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom