Random Raves #38: Raving Ravephats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations, Mr. yoyo.

I knew you could do it!

Thanks!

One of the techs I worked with over the summer sought me out on linkedin last night. He friended me and sent me a message "word around here is you are coming back. me and engineer X are really pulling for you". :)

Also, some of the tooling I made turned out to shave a massive amount of time off of an operation and made it in the company newsletter.

I'm pretty stoked right now, hope this is really going to happen and I get a jerb.
Exercise endorphins are real.

Yeah and they are pretty amazing.

Your girlfriend? :mischief:

Had a go at a high tech shooting simulator with different types of game, for a couple of hours. Was quite fun and also rather educational.

like this:
Spoiler :

I got stuff done today. Three appointments scheduled, groceries shopped, bills paid. Woo!

Yay! :D

New Yoak New Yoak..

I love that city, had a blast! Went up to the top of the Empire State building, saw my team destroy the Red Bulls on their home turf (for the first time ever), treated myself to some fine Japanese/Peruvian fusion cooking, including trying Russian caviar and oysters for the first time ever (caviar doesn't taste like anything btw), I checked out the American Museum of Natural History, which was just awesome, walked through Time Square at night, it was close to my hotel so why not, saw Book of Mormon on Broadway, which was SPECTACULAR, swore at some cabs while crossing the street, tried a pastrami sandwich at a recommended Jewish deli (it was very good but Montreal smoked meat sandwiches win hands down, sorry but it's true!), I found the transit system easy enough to figure out, even though the PATH is a bit odd, I was headed towards the WTC from NJ and.. somehow the train was suddenly travelling backwards and I was headed towards NJ again. Cop gave me advice to stay on the train until the last stop and next thing you know I'm heading back where I came from, I think that's just their trick to keep people from leaving the state.

No real complaints, other than DO NOT EAT AT Time Square Diner & Grill, it has a 4.2/5 rating, good reviews, but they have no idea how to make eggs benedict. Or hash browns. Or.. anything on my plate. It was garbage. Looking at the ratings of various eateries, this place got the best reviews of any diner in midtown and it was beyond crap. So either all diners in midtown suck goat balls, or these guys are using online shills to leave fake good reviews for them, or I showed up on a day when they hire iguanas to work in the kitchen as part of some sort of an iguana outreach program.

Everyone was also very warm and friendly to me on the weekend, I was blown away at how nice everyone was, but then on monday everyone was a jerk to me, no smiles, no "you're welcome", no manners at all. I guess that's what happens in New York? The weekends make everyone smile and everyone hates mondays?

Either way, I had a blast, and will be definitely returning.

Rave: the sort-of date went well enough. Went for dinner and then bubble tea, and had a good time chatting about our mutual interests, and we have a good number of them. She wasn't making much eye contact and often texted, but maybe that's just her. On the other hand, she said she had fun and that we should definitely do this again, so that's a good sign. I really didn't say or do anything to signal romantic interest in her, but maybe it was kinda implied, since we met on a dating site. I'll have to see where this goes.

I don't know the first thing about dating, but someone being on their phone constantly if they're allegedly meeting with me would really irritate me.

She wasn't on it constantly, we did genuinely have a good time talking, and she wants to meet again, but it was annoying. Maybe she doesn't normally make much eye contact. Maybe she considers it okay to text when she's with a friend or someone she's just casually meeting. Maybe she's not really interested that much in dating but just wants to hang out. There are a lot of possible explanations , so I'll just have to see.

That's 100% the right attitude to have

source/disclaimer: someone who is (probably) terrible at relationships

Though I have had a solid 2016 and I am 99% confident I have handled everything appropriately, from my end, and have actually had fun. I also got super into a girl immediately and had very good conversation and a couple dates with (and fun/interesting/more unique dates too! and actually agreed they were 'dates'!), but she didn't want to continue. Probably could tell I really liked her a lot -- though I did not come on in any inherently off-putting way (respectful, nice, not attach-y, etc).

But i guess in the 3 months of 2016 I'd had have like 6-8 people to have interesting conversations and the chance to on a date or meetup with 3-4 girls, which is a lot better than the "get 1 or 2 girls to even respond to a message per month or two" that I had previously. And I haven't even changed I don't think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom