Random Raves 40: Happy new year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like now would be a great time to bug your professors if they know of any high-level internships!

Yeah, I've just started with asking around. If there's anything at a national lab, I hope they're willing to take people who are on a variety of watch lists. ;)

So you want to be a Master rather than a Doctor? That is so the wrong Time Lord.

But the problem is that it would take another 4 years of time to become that kind of Time Lord. Not just model time, real life time! And I'm a terribly unfocused student who really has no business being here to begin with, and my advisor is awesome, and I really don't want to inflict 4 more years of me on her. So I'm content with being a Master.

Congrats on the torture of school coming to an end, whether you end up being a Master or a Time Lord or even a Doctor

The torture of school ends, so that the torture of Real Life may begin! At least Real Life might pay better. Granted there's probably going to be less demand for atmospheric science grads with air quality backgrounds, but there might be the option to turn to the Dark Side and come up with "alternative air quality sampling".

Be careful with that Real Life thing. It's almost impossible to uninstall and reinstall.

And good luck finding the reset button.

Erika, give us a new map to guess!

Aw yeah my parents are buying a pretty sweet boat. And as per the ancient unwritten laws of kinship, what is theirs is mine. Hello maritime life! Just need to get some docksides shoes and I'm good to go. So who's coming fishing then?

Aw yeah my parents are buying a pretty sweet boat. And as per the ancient unwritten laws of kinship, what is theirs is mine. Hello maritime life! Just need to get some docksides shoes and I'm good to go. So who's coming fishing then?

And we are his sisters and his cousins and his aunts!

Scion FRS.jpg

I got myself a new car today.
2016 Scion FRS with a factory installed handling pack with 8k miles on it. I was considering getting a Civic or Mazda 3 as it was more practical; but after test driving this I just couldn't bring myself to get a hatchback. It corners dead flat and is a joy to drive.

Let's go

That looks expensive, Ajidica. :)

Don't know much about cars but that a nice looking ride Ajidica!

I'll honk when I'm coming up San Francisco bay.
Suggested itinerary: Tromsø → Rio, pick up wim (optional midway stop at the Canary Islands to pick up Joan who, for once, will feel happy he's a Spanish citizen) → Buenos Aires → sail down to the southernmost city in the world → come all the way up to California.

Suggested itinerary: Tromsø → Rio, pick up wim (optional midway stop at the Canary Islands to pick up Joan who, for once, will feel happy he's a Spanish citizen) → Buenos Aires → sail down to the southernmost city in the world → come all the way up to California.
Done. Bring snacks and gas money.

Done. Bring snacks and gas money.
There's no way you're going to make me pay for both snacks and gas. Also, I thought you'd be actually sailing it.

Why make it through Maghalhaes when we could go through Panama?

If we're going down to Ushuaia, we might as well go to Antarctica as well while we're down there, Panama is too far north for us fascist tape-throwers

Why make it through Maghalhaes when we could go through Panama?
Because if you're coming south to pick up wim and then me (you do want us along, don't you?) you might as well do an extra-long sail around the continent and eventually out-Magellan Magellan himself (we pick up BirraImperial on the last stop before letting all the beer-hogging Californians onboard).

That looks expensive, Ajidica. :)
It wasn't that much actually. I've been pretty frugal and have a good job so I was able to afford it at $24k (includes taxes, fees, etc). If I was down going for a slightly older model with more miles I probably could have gone down to $16k; but this one was basically new with a baller interior. From what I can tell from the insurance papers and car history, the previous owner was a Toyota executive in California.
(He also had a dog as the passenger seat was covered in dog hair. The dealership had gotten it so recently they didn't have time to do full detail work. As I was signing paperwork they quick vacuumed the car. When I bring it back for the license plates they'll do full detailing on it.)

bring it back for the license plates
Doesn't the car already have plates? It's a used one.

Also, why does the owner get rid of it after only one year? You should have it checked.

Doesn't the car already have plates? It's a used one.
Well, the car is from California and I live in Minnesota. The car needs to be registered in the state the driver lives in.

Also, why does the owner get rid of it after only one year? You should have it checked.
It was owned by the Toyota Corporation as a company car. They like their company cars to be brand new to show off the brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom