Random Raves : Tank Goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol but Bangladesh are usually crap at cricket. England keep on failing at their own game.
It's not their game, it's just a toned-down copy of something that very nearly ended destroying the entire universe.
I've noticed that there is a large cricket fanbase on CFC. At least five people I know watch cricket.
It's spreading!

So. How do I go about doing a background check on myself?

Well there is the very basic Googling yourself; that's always a good first step. After that I check all the major background check websites to see what information they are able to dig up on me. That costs some money, but not too much so it doesn't bother me. After that I go to my local public records office to see what information they have on me. I also get my yearly free credit report as well.

You don't have to do all that, I just like to be thorough. The Google search and credit report is usually enough to see how much of your info is readily available for those who want it.

And how have you managed to conceal your address? Do you not appear on the electoral register at all?

I honestly don't know, since I don't really actively try to hide where I live. I chalk it up to poor record keeping though since the most recent address they have for me is my parents' address and I haven't lived there in 11 years.

There comes a point where concealing one's identity can backfire. At some point we do want to be able to prove to people that we who we say we are, and we generally do this with information that's in the public domain, don't we?

Or maybe I'm missing what you're actually saying here.

Nah, it's not like that at all. Anyone who truly needs the information (such as the government or a potential employer) can still easily get access to it. I can also prove I am who I am since I obviously possess the originals of all of my identifying documents. My information is just concealed from the average citizen who may want information on me for whatever reason. I do have some assets I would rather not be easily uncovered. Also, it may sound a bit melodramatic but, I have heard stories of current and former soldiers who served in Afghanistan and Iraq being targeted by extremists (especially intelligence personnel, which I was), so I like to make sure it is not easy for anyone to find out that I was in the military, let alone find out what I actually did over there.

If I do a google search on myself, I get like a billion hits.

They can't all be about me, can they?

About 50 of them are black guys living in New York, it seems.

If I do a google search on myself, I get like a billion hits.

They can't all be about me, can they?

About 50 of them are black guys living in New York, it seems.

No they are definitely not all about you. If you don't see anything about yourself in the first 10 or so pages of results, you should be good since most people won't look much further than that.

Oh right. That's good.

I've just done an exact google search on my name, putting it in quotation marks, and restricting it to my country of residence, and I get zero hits.

That's a good result, isn't it?

Oh right. That's good.

I've just done an exact google search on my name, putting it in quotation marks, and restricting it to my country of residence, and I get zero hits.

That's a good result, isn't it?

I'd say it is very good result.

Only 3 days to prepare for presenting that journal article, but I think I nailed it. Visiting professor seemed happy I caught a subtle detail with major implications, and I answered most of his questions fine. No questions from the other people in the course, not sure if that's good (I covered everything so well they don't need to ask anything) or bad (they're not interested).

I'd say it is very good result.
You shouldn't find yourself, the date of your birth, where you live, your marital status, what car you drive and a question if you want to know if you earn more than the person in question? That's what happen in Sweden. Openness ftw :cringe:

^:lol:

The pleasure antipodeans often take in the misfortunes of England is very endearing.

Especially after they tried to make fun of us by our low score against NZ where we nearly won the game, unlike England, who lost handsomely.

England losing at cricket is hardly news, chaps. The relevant thing is that we lost to Bangladesh!

I remembered I had Mitch Hedberg's albums on my other partition and now enjoying them again :)

I got my new PC a week earlier than I expected. It's already much better than my old one, but I'll probably have to wait about a week or so before I get the GPU I'll be putting in. I have to make sure I backup most of my old files and get everything sorted out, but otherwise I can't wait to play Cities Skylines at decent settings, and to pimp out my Oblivion and Skyrim with some graphics mods.

But that said, though, I feel kind of emotional about saying goodbye to my old machine. It's managed to survive a lot of work and abuse from the past 4.5 years, 4.5 years in which my life has changed in a lot of ways. You will be sorely missed, old friend. :salute:

Before getting my current super-computer, I had been using my old potato PC for 7 years. I know that feel cybrxkhan :)

Rave: Things might actually seem to be looking up for me. Talk to two of my advisers who said I'm golden for finishing International Relations and History next year. Aaaand ran into my awesome First World War history professor. He called my writing "compelling" for a project report on Rene Fonck I turned in the day before. What's more, I actually got to chat some history with him and he said he'd be willing to talk about grad school with me. Weee!

I might actually go into the history profession!

Spring brings all the good things!

Rave: One day people will discuss sports I know something about.
Future optimism whooo :)
Starcraft is a sport in Korea.

It's not their game, it's just a toned-down copy of something that very nearly ended destroying the entire universe.

Actually One Day cricket originated in England and so did 20/20 cricket, so that can't be their excuse. But England become bad at things they invent, so it is just history repeating itself.

Before getting my current super-computer, I had been using my old potato PC for 7 years. I know that feel cybrxkhan :)

7 years, damn, that must've been a good computer.

I had a laptop since high school and used it for about seven years as well, but it was a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down (father gave it to mother who gave it to me). It was still somewhat functional about a year or two ago, despite it being around a decade old and despite the fact that the screen was literally falling off because it was slowly getting detached from the rest of the laptop. I actually still keep it in my closet, even if I don't use it anymore, just because of sentimental attachment. Guess that's kind of creepy, in a way, like keeping a corpse in your closet, but whatever. It was my first real computer that was my own.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to keep the corpse of my current old PC around, it's too big and while it isn't in great shape I'm sure someone might be able to make use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom