1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Raves XLVII: Who wants cookies?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Oct 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles queen of the watermelons

Rave: I got a bunch of surveys done today. All of them got approved very fast. I'm surprised.

2. Arwon

Arwon

Our local ABC public broadcaster's news bulletin added a nightly Acknowledgement of Country, opening with a greeting in the language, noting that Canberra is in Ngunnawal country on the graphics, and ending with the following sign off:

"And that's the latest from the Canberra newsroom, proudly broadcasting from the land of the Ngunnawal people. As part of our ongoing commitment to Indigenous recognition, the ABC is partnering with the United Ngunnawal Elders Council and pays respect to them — the first people of this land. I'm Dan Bourchier, Yarra, Goodnight."

Which is pretty cool

The_J, Phrossack, Lexicus and 2 others like this.
  3. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Had some leftover ham so I made some super tasty ham and pear grilled cheese sandwiches. Made some quick spiced butter, combined with sourdough bread, canned pear slices, swiss and provolone cheese, and melted in a skillet. Supremely tasty. The pears get warm and give absolutely no resistance as you bite into them so you get the warm sweetness, offsetting the savory and saltiness of the cheese and ham. Unfortunately, I always struggle flipping the darn things.

cardgame, EgonSpengler, The_J and 3 others like this.
  4. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

:drool: I cannot believe I've been cooking pork with apples and never thought of trying it with pears.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Phrossack and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Supporter

It was two years ago now that my ex boyfriend left, and I haven't seen him since. I haven't heard from him at all in over a year. He was manipulative, abusive, and just overall toxic, and he dragged me down for nearly a decade. I'm so glad he's no longer in my life, I feel like every day is just another step towards healing.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

lol that was my reaction too

8. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

The real peak combination is actually pork and pineapple. A soft corn tortilla. Slow-cooked tomato & pink pepper pork. Fermented pineapple chunks. A hint of cilantro, lime juice and raw onion. That is perfection.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

It's amazing the difference a day can make. ;)

11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The Onion has really outdone itself this time

Report: Nation's Gentrified Neighborhoods Threatened By Aristocratization
    WASHINGTON—According to a report released Tuesday by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, the recent influx of exceedingly affluent powder-wigged aristocrats into the nation's gentrified urban areas is pushing out young white professionals, some of whom have lived in these neighborhoods for as many as seven years.
    Maureen Kennedy, a housing policy expert and lead author of the report, said that the enormous treasure-based wealth of the aristocracy makes it impossible for those living on modest trust funds to hold onto their co-ops and converted factory loft spaces.

12. Takhisis

More pork-related raves:
    First take cabbage that's been boiled once last week and lurking at the back of the fridge because all but one member of the household -yours truly- has had stomach troubles. Chop it up finely. Chop up an onion and a leek/shallot/similar thing, take the fat off some pieces of frozen bacon and leftover oven-roasted pork that's also been lurking at the back of the fridge for the aforementioned reasons. Heat the fat in a cooking-pot, then add the onion and leek, the bacon, accidentally forget to add the pork but it's cooked anyway. When it's cooked add in the chopped-up cabbage, add water (enough for all of it to swim in), a generous soupspoonful of vinegar, and a teaspoon each of honey, powdered red (chili) pepper, and mixed dried garlic and parsley (sold here as a pre-made mix called provençal). Suddenly remember to add in the pork. Boil off the water, add salt to taste, instant gourmet luncheon is ready to be served, with leftover sweet potato purée and mixed potato-and-pumpkin purée leftover also because of the aforementioned reasons.

Edit: for dessert, serve various remaining uneaten fruit (uneaten because of the aforementioned reasons) chopped up and mis-re-labelled as a fruit salad. Enjoy!

The added bonus of this is that I'm finally out of leftovers after a mere ten days. Almost out, actually.

Ajidica, tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  13. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

An oldie but a goldie. Regification is a serious issue to good old-fashioned aristocratic neighborhoods.

JohannaK and Lexicus like this.
  14. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

‘I’m A Moderate,’ Says Racist Democrat

In a developing story out of Pittsburgh, 28-year-old Tanya LePaine has started to call herself a moderate despite years of just being a Democrat who is also a little bit racist.

“It’s hard to call myself a Democrat when I have some beliefs that are a little conservative,” said Tanya, whose views are only conservative when it comes to issues that affect people of color. “I just think that both sides have their strengths and we have to meet in the middle.”

Tanya, who is 100% pro-choice but thinks that Affirmative Action isn’t fair, went on to explain her new label.

“For me, being a moderate means finding the happy medium between far left and far right politics,” she explained. “Like, most of my beliefs would fall under a liberal umbrella. But I also think we need to do what we can to keep immigrants from coming into the country illegally.”

https://reductress.com/post/im-a-moderate-says-racist-democrat/

15. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

If you (or anyone) is interested, this is the recipe I used.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...and-pear-crisp-with-spiced-butter-recipe.html

I replaced the fontina cheese with provolone, and replaced 1/2 tsp kosher salt with 1/4 tsp table salt because I found the larger bits of kosher salt didn't really distribute into the butter and instead I got super-salty bursts.

16. Takhisis

I'm definitely interested. But what is ‘kosher salt’ in this case?

17. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

The best quotes from that article are '“Like, just call yourself a Libertarian. It’s the same thing,”' and '“In fact, you calling me a racist is the real racism,” Tanya added.'

cardgame and MaryKB like this.
  18. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Supporter

That's CFC OT sooo much. Also goes for sexism.

hobbsyoyo and JohannaK like this.
  19. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

It's much worse elsewhere (scary thought I know), and obviously now that the right has discovered postmodernism projecting racism everywhere is kinda their gimmick

MaryKB likes this.
  20. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Larger, coarser grains of salt, basically.

Ajidica likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.