1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Raves XLVII: Who wants cookies?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Oct 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I am subscribed to a newsletter from this old crank who is waging legal war against the city council and in this newsletter he lists things to do in town each week. There is an old cattle ranch near my house with a ton of trails that are closed to the public except 3 or 4 days out of the year and the newsletter advertised that today is one of those rare public days. So we went up there at 8am, got lost and hiked the wrong way out of a canyon, then backtracked and did a 700 m climb up to the rim of another canyon (our original goal). It was quite beautiful and the park rangers told us that on clear days you can see all the way to LA (45 miles) and the ocean from the top but it was a smoggy day so we didn't see any of that. Still, the hills were gorgeous and there was lots of cacti with pink fruits and it was super pleasant. I took some pictures but it was so smoggy that none of them are good. All told we hiked around 4 miles/6.5 km in rough terrain and got a good workout.

This is an example of what some of the cacti looked like (not my picture):

I was proud of how well I was doing until I got to the top and stopped to catch my breath just to see a little old lady with a walking stick had beaten me there without getting winded. :lol:

AdamCrock, JohannaK, cardgame and 3 others like this.
  2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Little old ladies are the worst. They always overtake me on the bike. Don't feel bad, it's their superpower.

cardgame and hobbsyoyo like this.
  3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Prickly Pears! :yumyum: The little old lady was probably racing to beat you to them.

RAVE: Truck seems to be fixed, or at the very least is all back in one piece.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Prickly Pears! was going to be my line. :(

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

*loads Lexicus' image on a separate tab because it won't load on CFC* So coarse-but-not-that-coarse salt then.

That's interesting. Because ‘kosher’ here actually means… kosher in the strict sense of Jewish religion. But then I live in one of this megalopolis' many Jewish neighbourhoods, enough that today on the Sabbath there were a lot of people in dark clothes, some of them actually speaking Yiddish, out on the streets. btw it's dark clothes and a Germanic but they were definitely not a bunch of Toten Hosen fans returning from a concert; I checked.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Sea Salt is, at least theoretically, produced by evaporating sea water. Kosher Salt can be produced through all the myriad mining and other processes that salt is produced by, but it is pure salt, sodium chloride no sodium iodide. The typical salt shaker salt is a mix of sodium chloride and sodium iodide, which people with refined taste buds claim is bitter. The size of the crystals is not really a defining characteristic. You can get finely ground sea salt, and you can get coarse ground Kosher salt.

By the way, in case someone bristled at the idea that Kosher salt can be produced just any old way when we all know that Kosher almost always means some sort of special and usually horrific production restrictions supervised by a Rabbi...the reason it is called Kosher is because it is used in the processing of Kosher salted meats. That processing requires pure salt, not iodized salt.

hobbsyoyo, The_J and Phrossack like this.
  7. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

larger salt crystals are always better :yumyum:

JohannaK likes this.
  8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Hmmmm. If they are too large sometimes they won't dissolve completely and will give you a mouthful of saltiness in some bites without enough salt in others.

9. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

They don't have to dissolve to be evenly distributed

10. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

One of the treatments for some thyroid diseases (thyroid cancer, generally) is to take radioactive iodine, which is absorbed by the thyroid. However, before doing this, the patient has to do a low-iodine diet. Non-iodized salt is okay for that, though.

The_J likes this.
  11. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I'm chasing a girl. Normally by this stage I would have given up 10 times over. Her mom is in town getting surgery today and I was ready to swoop in just to keep her company. I'm a little serious about this girl and it was zero percent "I can be the hero" and 100% I was still drunk thursday morning when I heard it, (another story), decided I was inevitable and therefore as the future husband I should be there for the mom.

Well F all that instead I stayed in town, rode a horse on the beach (first time), went ocean net fishing (first time), ate an iguana (they cooked it alive, unless fire triggers its autonomic nervous system) (first time), got pizza and beer with the host family. Also understood more Spanish than ever and from people previously undiscernable. Had pancakes for bfast.

Top 25 Day.

edit: oh yeah and my computer reovered from the rice bath today and the water damage is gone. The problems with the letter c are back however (cmd+v for letter c). cleaned my room this morning as well. Other good things unmentioned.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    shadowplay, hobbsyoyo, The_J and 2 others like this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@Hygro Good luck. Tell her Hi from me. "Hey, I mentioned you and your mom to some friends in the states; one said hello and wished your mom well."

Hygro likes this.
  13. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Haha I might. This has been the hardest romance to crack of my life.

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

If you hadn't been so inhospitable you could probably have enlisted that spider as a wing man.

Hygro and yung.carl.jung like this.
  15. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

agree. crystal salt is great though really, flakes is where it's at. I only use that shizzle once in a blue moon but then you gotta make it count.

16. dusters

dusters Fairy

I will give my 1st meditation in few weeks probably about faeries. I feel special connection to these devas of natura.

17. aimeeandbeatles

Rave: Someone left a kudos on my new fic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valka D'Ur, The_J, hobbsyoyo and 4 others like this.
  18. aimeeandbeatles

I got a little excited in that last post. :lol:

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

A little? :)

20. aimeeandbeatles

A little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.