Random Raves XLVII: Who wants cookies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am subscribed to a newsletter from this old crank who is waging legal war against the city council and in this newsletter he lists things to do in town each week. There is an old cattle ranch near my house with a ton of trails that are closed to the public except 3 or 4 days out of the year and the newsletter advertised that today is one of those rare public days. So we went up there at 8am, got lost and hiked the wrong way out of a canyon, then backtracked and did a 700 m climb up to the rim of another canyon (our original goal). It was quite beautiful and the park rangers told us that on clear days you can see all the way to LA (45 miles) and the ocean from the top but it was a smoggy day so we didn't see any of that. Still, the hills were gorgeous and there was lots of cacti with pink fruits and it was super pleasant. I took some pictures but it was so smoggy that none of them are good. All told we hiked around 4 miles/6.5 km in rough terrain and got a good workout.

This is an example of what some of the cacti looked like (not my picture):

I was proud of how well I was doing until I got to the top and stopped to catch my breath just to see a little old lady with a walking stick had beaten me there without getting winded. :lol:

I am subscribed to a newsletter from this old crank who is waging legal war against the city council and in this newsletter he lists things to do in town each week. There is an old cattle ranch near my house with a ton of trails that are closed to the public except 3 or 4 days out of the year and the newsletter advertised that today is one of those rare public days. So we went up there at 8am, got lost and hiked the wrong way out of a canyon, then backtracked and did a 700 m climb up to the rim of another canyon (our original goal). It was quite beautiful and the park rangers told us that on clear days you can see all the way to LA (45 miles) and the ocean from the top but it was a smoggy day so we didn't see any of that. Still, the hills were gorgeous and there was lots of cacti with pink fruits and it was super pleasant. I took some pictures but it was so smoggy that none of them are good. All told we hiked around 4 miles/6.5 km in rough terrain and got a good workout.

This is an example of what some of the cacti looked like (not my picture):

I was proud of how well I was doing until I got to the top and stopped to catch my breath just to see a little old lady with a walking stick had beaten me there without getting winded. :lol:

Prickly Pears! :yumyum: The little old lady was probably racing to beat you to them.

RAVE: Truck seems to be fixed, or at the very least is all back in one piece.

Prickly Pears! was going to be my line. :(

I'm definitely interested. But what is ‘kosher salt’ in this case?
Larger, coarser grains of salt, basically.
*loads Lexicus' image on a separate tab because it won't load on CFC* So coarse-but-not-that-coarse salt then.

That's interesting. Because ‘kosher’ here actually means… kosher in the strict sense of Jewish religion. But then I live in one of this megalopolis' many Jewish neighbourhoods, enough that today on the Sabbath there were a lot of people in dark clothes, some of them actually speaking Yiddish, out on the streets. btw it's dark clothes and a Germanic but they were definitely not a bunch of Toten Hosen fans returning from a concert; I checked.

*loads Lexicus' image on a separate tab because it won't load on CFC* So coarse-but-not-that-coarse salt then.

That's interesting. Because ‘kosher’ here actually means… kosher in the strict sense of Jewish religion. But then I live in one of this megalopolis' many Jewish neighbourhoods, enough that today on the Sabbath there were a lot of people in dark clothes, some of them actually speaking Yiddish, out on the streets. btw it's dark clothes and a Germanic but they were definitely not a bunch of Toten Hosen fans returning from a concert; I checked.

Sea Salt is, at least theoretically, produced by evaporating sea water. Kosher Salt can be produced through all the myriad mining and other processes that salt is produced by, but it is pure salt, sodium chloride no sodium iodide. The typical salt shaker salt is a mix of sodium chloride and sodium iodide, which people with refined taste buds claim is bitter. The size of the crystals is not really a defining characteristic. You can get finely ground sea salt, and you can get coarse ground Kosher salt.

By the way, in case someone bristled at the idea that Kosher salt can be produced just any old way when we all know that Kosher almost always means some sort of special and usually horrific production restrictions supervised by a Rabbi...the reason it is called Kosher is because it is used in the processing of Kosher salted meats. That processing requires pure salt, not iodized salt.

larger salt crystals are always better :yumyum:

Hmmmm. If they are too large sometimes they won't dissolve completely and will give you a mouthful of saltiness in some bites without enough salt in others.

They don't have to dissolve to be evenly distributed

Sea Salt is, at least theoretically, produced by evaporating sea water. Kosher Salt can be produced through all the myriad mining and other processes that salt is produced by, but it is pure salt, sodium chloride no sodium iodide. The typical salt shaker salt is a mix of sodium chloride and sodium iodide, which people with refined taste buds claim is bitter. The size of the crystals is not really a defining characteristic. You can get finely ground sea salt, and you can get coarse ground Kosher salt.

By the way, in case someone bristled at the idea that Kosher salt can be produced just any old way when we all know that Kosher almost always means some sort of special and usually horrific production restrictions supervised by a Rabbi...the reason it is called Kosher is because it is used in the processing of Kosher salted meats. That processing requires pure salt, not iodized salt.

One of the treatments for some thyroid diseases (thyroid cancer, generally) is to take radioactive iodine, which is absorbed by the thyroid. However, before doing this, the patient has to do a low-iodine diet. Non-iodized salt is okay for that, though.

I'm chasing a girl. Normally by this stage I would have given up 10 times over. Her mom is in town getting surgery today and I was ready to swoop in just to keep her company. I'm a little serious about this girl and it was zero percent "I can be the hero" and 100% I was still drunk thursday morning when I heard it, (another story), decided I was inevitable and therefore as the future husband I should be there for the mom.

Well F all that instead I stayed in town, rode a horse on the beach (first time), went ocean net fishing (first time), ate an iguana (they cooked it alive, unless fire triggers its autonomic nervous system) (first time), got pizza and beer with the host family. Also understood more Spanish than ever and from people previously undiscernable. Had pancakes for bfast.

Top 25 Day.

edit: oh yeah and my computer reovered from the rice bath today and the water damage is gone. The problems with the letter c are back however (cmd+v for letter c). cleaned my room this morning as well. Other good things unmentioned.

Last edited:
@Hygro Good luck. Tell her Hi from me. "Hey, I mentioned you and your mom to some friends in the states; one said hello and wished your mom well."

Haha I might. This has been the hardest romance to crack of my life.

larger salt crystals are always better :yumyum:

agree. crystal salt is great though really, flakes is where it's at. I only use that shizzle once in a blue moon but then you gotta make it count.

I will give my 1st meditation in few weeks probably about faeries. I feel special connection to these devas of natura.

I got a little excited in that last post. :lol:

A little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom