Random thoughts 1: Just Sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
A banana is like a food with a built-in napkin.

Just sayin'

I am unconvinced about Jack Morris' Hall of Fame qualifications. Don't get me wrong, I liked Morris. Detroit was one of my teams, back in the day. Cecil Fielder. Mickey Tettleton. Lou Whitaker. Chet Lemon. Frank Tanana. Rob Deer. Tony Phillips (R.I.P.). But if Morris is a Hall of Famer, what does that mean for Ron Guidry, Frank Viola, Dave Steib, Kevin Appier, or Kenny Rogers? I dunno. I feel like we need to draw a line somewhere, dangit.

I'm on board with Alan Trammell, though. I think Whitaker's gotta get in, too, and not just because they were like peanut butter and jelly, but on his own merits.

A laser beam will be shot into my eye in just 36 hours. :ack: I gotta do it; the cataract is getting worse quickly.
Hmmm. Today I had some trouble crossing a street because a driver and I were both perplexed by an old woman who was riding a bicycle across the street (at a 90º angle to me) and she wouldn't stop for the world. The woman had no helmet, no lights/reflectors/whatchamacallem (it was dark already) and she shouted by way of an apology as she went by ‘I've just had my eyes operated for cataracts!’

Please don't be that woman.
North Star?? Really? Hang a left, fellas. You keep going that way, you'll end up in Moscow. You want the Star of Bethlehem. :eekdance:
English was good enough for Jesus…

I've taken an indefinite hiatus from the news. Through a series of events in my own life and just a general degradation in mental health, I realized that staying up to date on what was happening in the world only served to cause me harm. I was 'tuned in', but at a great cost.

I'm tired of being hurt. I don't like being a part of this species. Every good thing is a star in a black sky, which as poetic as that sounds is the exact opposite of how I think things should be. I am tired of being hurt simply by virtue of being human. Every news story I read simply smothers me a little harder with a pillow.

That probably means I'm going to be intermittently gone from CFC since almost every thread here inevitably strays to politics or some catchy new meme about something terrible someone has done. Putting this sentiment here since it's not a rant, nor a rave, nor a goodbye or hello. It's simply a thought.

Edgy.

But you should not forget that the news are composed of the worst things people do, and are not actually representative of our species as a whole. When you've got 4999 individuals who help homeless people and 1 who beats up a homeless person, who are you going to read about tomorrow? :hmm:

Edgy.

But you should not forget that the news are composed of the worst things people do, and are not actually representative of our species as a whole. When you've got 4999 individuals who help homeless people and 1 who beats up a homeless person, who are you going to read about tomorrow? :hmm:

Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Thank you, Valessa, for steering me towards the light. This changes everything.

No, that was sarcasm. Do you really think that my position is based purely on the mainstream news cycle and that the fix is me subscribing to /r/goodpeopledoinggoodthings instead of /r/badpeopledoingbadthings? The vast majority of my life has been spent around charities and people doing 'good' things, I don't need a meme response telling me I'm a sheep of the modern news industry. All it does is convey your low opinion of me and is not even remotely close to an actual attempt at discussion. In response to that I can only request that you target someone else if you feel the overbearing need to be a dick to someone. Can't force you, can't stop you, but hey, I can certainly give it a go and ask.

Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Thank you, Valessa, for steering me towards the light. This changes everything.
Ahh bummer, there I though I was helpful for a short moment!

No, that was sarcasm. Do you really think that my position is based purely on the mainstream news cycle and that the fix is me subscribing to /r/goodpeopledoinggoodthings instead of /r/badpeopledoingbadthings? The vast majority of my life has been spent around charities and people doing 'good' things, I don't need a meme response telling me I'm a sheep of the modern news industry. All it does is convey your low opinion of me and is not even remotely close to an actual attempt at discussion. In response to that I can only request that you target someone else if you feel the overbearing need to be a dick to someone. Can't force you, can't stop you, but hey, I can certainly give it a go and ask.
But I actually don't have a low opinion of you. I very much disliked your moderation style, but when it comes to all the rest, I think you're one of the few people here who are considerably far to the left without being blinded by an ideology, just where I would like everybody to be in an ideal world!

If it came about as condescending I am sorry, but I was being sincere. I know that mindset rather well, as I had to deal with it a lot in the past, and for me, just a small push into the right direction often helped me reframe my thoughts into a more positive well of thoughts. But people are different of course. Or maybe I'm just the wrong person to say it. ;)

That I possess your ideal set of political views is perhaps the worst news I have ever received.

:scared:

:p

(The above is obviously a joke)

I don't think it would be much of an exaggeration to say that I can break nearly any video game I touch. Between in-game glitches, doing things that the game developers likely never anticipated, heavy use of game mods, and actually messing around with the game files themselves "just to see what happens," I don't think there's a game I've played for more than five minutes that I haven't somehow screwed up. Even when I don't mean to!

I don't think it would be much of an exaggeration to say that I can break nearly any video game I touch. Between in-game glitches, doing things that the game developers likely never anticipated, heavy use of game mods, and actually messing around with the game files themselves "just to see what happens," I don't think there's a game I've played for more than five minutes that I haven't somehow screwed up. Even when I don't mean to!

I recently had this in Star Wars The Old Republic. There's a quest series on Taris that irreparably breaks if you do the quests within individually beforehand. It's been a known bug for over three years but it hasn't been fixed because it's not a "class story".

Seems like an obvious kind of problem to prevent, and yet...

Ouch. That's just sloppy game design.

My cousin from California will probably be visiting family over the holidays. There's a part of me that wants to buy this as a Christmas gift for his daughter. :mischief:

Spoiler :

I won't, but the thought amuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom