Status
Not open for further replies.
I know who the book was about; I was quibbling about your post that the term Merchant Prince was the title. Tim asked if that is where the term Merchant Prince came from and you said it was the title of his book. No worries. :)

I actually got that the book was about a merchant but referred to said merchant as a prince, but maybe I was looking for that.

I thought the title "Dodge" was official for the rulers of Venetia and other "merchant states" like Florence and I also thought that the "Merchant Prince" was a title of the book, I feel so uneducated because it was actually "The Prince"

I thought the title "Dodge" was official for the rulers of Venetia and other "merchant states" like Florence and I also thought that the "Merchant Prince" was a title of the book, I feel so uneducated because it was actually "The Prince"
Doge is the correct spelling of the ruler of Venice and other Italian states. :)

TIL learned that riding moose is actually a thing. When I saw this I thought "no way a moose puts up with that," but a quick search changed my mind. I'm still thinkin' that @hobbsyoyo probably shouldn't try to mount the first giant beast with horns that he happens across, but more power to him if he gives it a shot.
It's illegal to ride a moose.

What about all of these British "subjects," (seemingly hoping the term is temporary) who would jump at the chance of "seeming instability" in the Royal Family succession.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_advocates_of_republicanism_in_the_United_Kingdom
What about them? I know that not everyone in the UK likes the monarchy, and there are a lot of people in Canada who would happily toss the Queen out into the street. Some others have said, fine, let her finish her reign since she'll die soon, but after that, dump the monarchy.

I don't mind the monarchy. Now that we control our own Constitution, it's not like they have any real say over what happens here. The Governor-General can sometimes influence things (like I wish Michaelle Jean had done when Harper had Parliament prorogued, rather than face the contempt charge against him), but they usually don't.

Indeed, as well as the title of Nicholo Machiavelli's most well-known book.
I thought the hypothetical "prince" there was the as yet unnamed individual who needed to unite Italy into a nation state sized kingdom in order for it to survive in a world with France, England, Spain, and other large scale unified blocks. The failure of Italy and Germany to form unified nation states promptly put them irreparably behind when they eventually did, and Machiavelli saw that happening.

I'm seeing it played out yet again, because I'm playing Europa Universalis. The endless chaos of squabbling single province "states" just cannot produce a competitor for the actual powers of the day. The only way Italy or Germany amounts to anything is if the human player sets everything easy enough that they can play one of those little nubs into a power that can subjugate the entire sodding mess around them.
It's generally accepted that The Prince was inspired in part by Machiavelli's admiration for Cesare Borgia, the son of Pope Alexander VI (aka Rodrigo Borgia) who was the first cardinal allowed to quit the church and do something else with his life. Cesare Borgia had long felt the calling for a military career and he sought to bring as many of the city-states of Italy as he could under one rule - his - and future generations of the Borgia family. This required some real feats of diplomatic and military strategy, and he did succeed for awhile. But then Pope Alexander died, and Cesare's deal with his successor went south. After that Cesare's kingdom-in-the-making fell apart and Cesare himself was imprisoned. He later escaped and went to serve the King of France (he'd married a French princess), and died in battle. He's buried in Viana, Spain (I did some research to find out how much of the Showtime TV series The Borgias was fact and how much was fiction).

Cesare Borgia had an acquaintance with both Machiavelli and Leonardo da Vinci. And the stories that he had incestuous relations with his sister, Lucrezia, are considered by historians to be nothing more than vindictive gossip spread by the Borgias' enemies.

Oh You know I've just recently watched the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode of Star Trek OS - it was hilarious! :D Athough it left me wondering where do the tribbles come from ? Judging from their reaction to Klingon and the fact that traveling merchant visited the area, their origins are in Klingon space, possibly their home planet, where there are many predators around justifying their reproduction rate. I also remember one of the Klingons in cantina recognised one and called it a "pest" or a "vermin" or some such. I am surprised how many details in ST actually make sense !
I admit You've got a lot of penguins ^^ If Your collection grows geometrically f(n) = (2^n) I think You might even hit tribble reproduction rate ! ;) I didn't think You mentioned an origami penguin but You probably have one from those craft sales (or maybe they are all plush ? ) Anyways just want to say I am impressed with Your collection ! :) (At the least I have a safe bet on what to buy in case of birthday or some other event ! :D)
:hug:

I forgot to mention my virtual penguins! I've got some penguin pictures I captioned for the Cheezburger site, a set of penguin smileys, and several avatars (the default avatars on the Pond Friends forum I belong to are adult and baby penguins). Oh, and there's a series of computer games called Fantasy Mosaics. There's a loose storyline about a penguin family; #39 just came out (yes, I have them all).

I always thought that the the title was "The Prince", merchant not being part of it. Of course, "The Little Prince" is a much better book how to rule.
It is.

I forgot to mention my virtual penguins! I've got some penguin pictures I captioned for the Cheezburger site, a set of penguin smileys, and several avatars (the default avatars on the Pond Friends forum I belong to are adult and baby penguins). Oh, and there's a series of computer games called Fantasy Mosaics. There's a loose storyline about a penguin family; #39 just came out (yes, I have them all).

Spoiler :

There's also the theory that Machiavelli wrote Il Principe as a "how not to" guide for ruling, rather than to be taken seriously. Of course, the governments of Venice and Florence were rather different.

wait, when did I become a princess?
I recognise you as such. I, Takhisis, Dragonqueen, Queen of the Abyss, scourge of CFC, wielder of sarcasm, brewer of cocoa, shaper of spells.

I thought you were a teenage girl from a cartoon.

I recognise you as such. I, Takhisis, Dragonqueen, Queen of the Abyss, scourge of CFC, wielder of sarcasm, brewer of cocoa, shaper of spells.

to which one should repy with a weird face expression : .....John Snow ..... king ....

:lol:

Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom