Random Thoughts Five: Ya rolls the dice, ya takes yer chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I finally figured out the cause myself, recently. Windows is defragmenting your drive all the time automatically, deleting a large amount of files frees up space to do this with. It is particularly noticeable when your drive is 90% or 95% full like mine usually is whenever I notice this happen. The "updates" are really just moving those files around, hence 0kb.

90-95% full? Good grief. Just buy a secondary hard drive!

Yeah, it's not 1990, space is cheap.

Defragmenting all the time ?
It's 2019 ! Get an SSD.

I have not one but two SSDs

they're fullish because storage is easier than downloading with my current internet. I will every week or two find cause to clear 50-100gb of space on one or even both, so no worries there.

Just FYI, defragmenting an SSD is A Very Bad waste of its capacities with no upside. And continually deleting and rewriting information to the drives will wear them out a lot faster than writing stuff on them once and then leaving it there.

Just FYI, defragmenting an SSD is A Very Bad waste of its capacities with no upside. And continually deleting and rewriting information to the drives will wear them out a lot faster than writing stuff on them once and then leaving it there.

Does Windows automatically disable its auto-defrag if your hard drive is an SSD? Or do you have to disable it yourself?

It's not 100% clear. I believe I remember reading that more recent versions of Windows will do a check and disable the auto-defrag if they detect an SSD. But I just Googled it and found articles claiming that Windows does defrag SSDs, but in a different way from how it defrags HDDs that is actually helpful to the SSD. Not being a technically-knowledgeable sort I have no idea what is true, but intend to do further reading.

Further reading yielded this fairly unambiguous statement:

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

The short answer is, yes, Windows does sometimes defragment SSDs, yes, it's important to intelligently and appropriately defrag SSDs, and yes, Windows is smart about how it treats your SSD.

so I was clearly wrong about defragging. I do believe that I'm right about continually deleting stuff off the drive and replacing it with new stuff though. Ironically probably more cost-efficient to keep buying more drives.

Last edited:
Windows 7 and above will do TRIM on SSDs. It's a sort of non-destructive defragment that zeros out any empty sectors.

My SSD will last another decade or more, easily. You have to write 100gb every single day nonstop for years to kill an SSD. My write life over 4 years is only 61TB. Among consumer-grade SSDs of its previous (inferior) generation, none died before 500TB write in a real-world test.

:shifty:

We're definitely just weirdos.
Nope. Just people who have not given our lives completely over to electronic gadgets.

One thing I'm delighted about is that the surgery I had 3 weeks ago has meant my vision has improved enough so I can do my taxes myself instead of having to go to the seniors' centre to get someone to do it for me.

I will be doing it by hand - pen, paper, find a stamp (I do have some around somewhere), and mail it.

It will be nicer when both surgeries are complete so I can read books again. I haven't been able to do that for several months.

According to this spam email I got, Bill Gates wants to donate five million to me. Yet somehow he can't get a hold of something better than an AOL email. :rotfl:

According to this spam email I got, Bill Gates wants to donate five million to me. Yet somehow he can't get a hold of something better than an AOL email. :rotfl:

Tell them that you have some money for them but they will have to pay you a fee first.

Or that a Nigerian prince manages your finances.

I got that one, too. Have you had the one where Melania Trump wants to give you money? She's more generous, but can't spell as well as Bill Gates. I'm not sure she's legit, though, since she wants to give me "United dollars."

As far as I understand it, excepting the genuine mistakes, there's an entirely cynical reason for that - less well-educated people won't notice the errors and may be more susceptible to the email's claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom