Random Thoughts XIII - Radioenergopithecocracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
And old video, but I like that channel:

Two comments:

positive: They explicitly show that you can replace a graph of a smooth curve with one of sudden changes in slope that (regarding the function at the points chosen) are another representation of the function. This implicitly leads to cumulative curvature presentations.
negative: I don't like how they presented integration, not one bit. It is way too sneaky and tells the viewer nothing about how (algebraically) the transformations between the original function and its slope function are elegantly canceling to always the second element of the binomial expansion. 3blue1brown did far better in that respect.
In other words, this is a(nother) case of some presentation being understandable, but only if you already know what it means to present; like trying to teach japanese to people but only if they already speak japanese to a sufficient degree ;)

Well, as promised in the politics thread, went and took some pictures @Gori the Grey. Used what was at hand for the season.

Spoiler :
"Harvest" has a smell. It's mostly cornstalk dust and fines blasted into the air by auger near as I can tell, but it's distinct and pleasant.

Spoiler :
Ok, I know it's a little weird, but the steering wheel itself. It smells like dirt, grease, and over 40 years of oil from my dad's hands holding it. It's hard to describe. It might be sort of like when dogs like curling up on your dirty laundry to nap.

That's a treasure, something that has that powerful an association with that length of your father's life. (Smell is our most emotionally evocative sense.)

Didn't know what you meant in the other thread about smells, since I never can tell when you're speaking literally or metaphorically, but these pics are lovely.

They are red only after cooking!
My point stands. The restaurant in question is only going to bring you one once it's been cooked. (And they're red (brownish red, maybe) even before cooking!)

Last edited:
Some of them are blueish!

literally or metaphorically
Potayto potahto. We're dances of light performing on a meat stage.

When you see something, you absorb reflected light. When you hear something, your eardrums rattle as part of a chain reaction from something happening a ways away. When you smell something, parts of it are touching the inside of your face. It's sinking in. You're incorporating them into yourself. If you like or hate how something smells it's far more... intimate.

Some of them are blueish!
And those would need a descriptive adjective distinguishing them from the rest.

Anyway, looking forward to more visual images of the smells around you.

On your "potayto potahto" point, there's a book called Metaphors We Live By that has as its thesis the claim that we act and think in terms of metaphors. At one point, the authors take up the question of whether we have any experience at all that isn't framed metaphorically, and their answer is no. Even our most basic-seeming physical experiences, we understand metaphorically. It's metaphors all the way down, as it were. It would seem you have felt Lackoff and Johnson's thesis in your bones, as it were.

On your "potayto potahto" point, there's a book called Metaphors We Live By that has as its thesis the claim that we act and think in terms of metaphors. At one point, the authors take up the question of whether we have any experience at all that isn't framed metaphorically, and their answer is no. Even our most basic-seeming physical experiences, we understand metaphorically. It's metaphors all the way down, as it were. It would seem you have felt Lackoff and Johnson's thesis in your bones, as it were.

I subscribe to this on a neuroscience level. The cross-modality of sensory experience is an essential part of our consciousness.

I do indeed see what you are saying.
What you are saying, it really strikes me.
It really strikes me how sour this dish is.
How sour this dish is, I do indeed see.

Happy Turkey Day, all.
The Three Haiku of Thanksgiving

Turkeys strut about,
Their plumage autumn splendid;
I read recipes

Turkeys scratch about,
Raking leaves for seeds and bugs;
I arrange the table

Turkeys gobble, and
peck cracked corn by moonlight;
I sharpen my ax

If the starting domain is internal (which has to be, since experience is internal) you simply wouldn't be able to form a concept of something without making (intuitively) a first metaphor of it to the internal experience. This quickly becomes an exponential function, though, since all sorts of intermediate metaphors are internal-internal. For example: you see a first, single object, so you then make a link to its identified qualities to the mental image of it, but at that time you already have factored in all sub-components as their own internal-internal metaphor: one, first, external, object, set of qualities etc. It is highly unlikely that information for internalized objects exists solely in one place instead of this scheme where images (internal metaphors) are spread to other points of storage.
Related: it's one of the reasons (not the only one) why I think math is not cosmic but a property of some beings' internal organization - and clearly of humans too.
Related2: if we assume that any single concept of anything is creating nested internal-internal metaphors (as well as the internal-external mapping) then it's to be expected that higher level connections between things would naturally use higher level metaphors.
Related3: you could ask yourself if the mapping of the external object, to the internal notion of it, actually ever reaches the external space; the answer should be no, which implies another group of approximations which still remain within the internal space but have to form distances between internal positions.

Last edited:
Idiotic quotes thread is that way →

Something odd happened late this afternoon. From what I can tell it involved a car chase and who-knows-how-many cop cars, sirens going and going and going... Lights from other cop cars and what may have been paramedics on a nearby street that I can sort of see (could see better if there weren't so many trees in the way). No fire trucks were involved that I could tell, and no ambulances went screaming off to the hospital.

So... I have no idea what happened. Hit and run accident? Cops chasing robbers or drug dealers? Maybe we had another murder (there was one a few blocks away not too long ago). There aren't any stores really close by where people would speed away from in that direction unless it was from one of the strip malls in another subdivision. The cops on the site stayed well past dark, but everything's quiet now.

Hmmm, seems that Coca-Cola is hot in Romania
BBC said:

Coca-Cola Christmas truck in flames in Romania​

Coca-Cola Christmas truck in flames in Romania

A Coca-Cola truck caught fire while driving down a busy road in Romania’s capital Bucharest.
It is unclear how the fire started. The driver managed to leave the vehicle before it was engulfed in flames.
Firefighters later arrived to put out the blaze, and there were no reports of injuries.
The soft drink company told local media it was taking measures to prevent further incidents.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-63829299

Everyone praises Achilles, but Diomedes wounded two gods. One of which was Ares himself ;)
Ajax, on the other hand, didn't want any god protecting him, saying that such is needed only by lesser men. So in the end he became mad (with some help by Odysseus, as usual).

Ajax got a household cleaner named after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom