• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[RD] Should I take a course in astronomy or metereology and oceanography?

Astronomy or metereology and oceanography

• Total voters
I usually tend to go with the least popular thing to have better competitive edge.. or something.. or if it doesn't matter, what seems more fun at the moment.

Thanks a bunch for your input. I'll try to respond a bit now

I'd say it's got to be a personal choice. Only you know where your interests and abilities truly lie, and you should choose based on those. Though plainly you're struggling to make any such choice.

Firstly, I'm not asking to be told what I should do, I'm asking for your input. Right now the poll is 50/50, but I've been leaning towards astronomy, and that is honestly the likely choice.

But this is actually a big problem for me, like a few of you know. Though I might know myself better than anybody else does, I would never claim to know where my abilities and interests truly are. The whole program has been a bit of a chore, and I've lost any real sense of direction since before I started honestly.

But never mind that

And for clarification again: I'm participating in a sort of three-in-one program. I'm obliged to take this one introductory course in either astronomy or metereology and oceanography, but I plan to go further in neither field.

If it were me, I'd go with meteorology and oceanography. Mainly because I'm currently studying fluid mechanics, which is extremely tough, I find, but intrinsically interesting to me.

The problem is that I have had a dreadful experience with fluid dynamics so far, so I'm somewhat reluctant to move on with it, while a part of me also wants to "defeat it" so to say.

So I think fluid dynamics are somewhat interesting, but not that interesting. However this is currently how I feel about pretty much everything else this program offers, so I don't know how much I should let that dictate my course of action.

(By the way, you're studying fluid mechanics now?)

Space. It's just stuff out there. *waves vaguely skywards*

But other people are fired up about space, and black holes and nebula. And stuff. Which is perfectly fine.

I was fired up about space in the past, but that was several years ago. I might still have enough interest to go through this course, though.

I would go with Astronomy, because I would expect it to have more tie-ins to what you'll learn in Physics.. although I don't really know the curriculum, so that is a guess. Plus space is interesting, and you'll probably get to look at a pretty pictures every once in a while.

I have a vague impression that astronomy can tie together more things qualitatively, while metereology would be more quantitative. In which case I'd feel for astronomy. But These are all rather wide issues. Some fields of physics, particularely those regarding fluid mechanics would probably by more cloesly tied to meterology and oceanography

Plus imagine strolling through the park in the evening with a girl - which of these 3 fields could help you best in that situation? Probably astronomy.

I'm not much of a ladies man :( But my relationship problems should probably wait until some other time

I don't really know much about the other 2 fields though, and I do like learning new concepts, so I guess basically it comes down to you weighing all the factors, and seeing which choice is the best fit for you at the time. I would look at the workload first and foremost, I think, and balance intensive courses with some lighter ones.

On the workload I have no idea :undecide:, I've also beendangerously lazy this semester

I would suggest trying the course on Metereology and Oceonagraphy. Just because it would open up a different view of the world from other things you've been studying in the past. It's only the one course, so if you don't like it, you've lost little. And if you do like it, it could be a lot of fun.

I have lost maybe the one occasion I can be bothered to study astronomy, but I think this is a very valid viewpoint.

It is the tough choice between hydrodynamics and magnetohydrodynamics...

I think there are two questions two consider:
- What do these course actually cover? Both fields are vast and can range from Powerpoint physics with pretty pictures to involved calculations of complex dynamics.

They are somewhat of introductory courses, but from what I've gathered they both include at least somewhat complex calculations on a broad spectrum of phenomena. The course descriptions are unfourtunately only availible in norwegian

- Do you have special interest in any subfield of physics? If you want to go into astrophysics or environmental physics, the choice should be clear. But other subfields also have some connections and having heard a primer on a field might help you later on.

I do actually not have any special interest in any field, but as I've said, I don't plan to go into either astronomy or meterology and oceanography.

Howeverm I think I lean somewhat towards elemental particle physics. I assume that fits better with astronomy without really knowing

Can you attend both courses the first few times and drop the one you do not like?

I think they run at the same time

That was a (semi) serious response. Astronomy courses should be checked for weird lab requirements, because even people who don't drink might not like the hours. I had a friend on the baseball team that took the same course, and the labs disrupted his workout schedule for two weeks every time.

Sorry, I was mostly responding to Lillefix (Honestly I don't think Jesus would be much of a university man).

However, I am almost absolutely sure that this introductory course doesn't involve any field trips. Those who choose to study astronomy later get to visit a proper telescope on the canary islands.

And personally I just bumble around any hour of the week. I've not earned the privelige of claiming a schedule.

I took an astronomy course once, it was out of this world.

Or you could be lame and go with the flow taking oceanography.

I'm not sure weather or not meteorology is in your interests though.

The only conversation subject more boring than weather is travel directions.

But anyway my interests have lost their contour a long time ago. I suppose I'm asking what people would say is the most interesting of these two - which they would recommend.

[Valka's experiences]

Now whether you should choose it... obviously that depends on what your interests and career goals are, and how well you could apply what you'd learn in an astronomy course.

I've never taken oceanography - never really saw any need for it, given that I live in a land-locked province many hundreds of miles from the nearest ocean. I did take physical geography, though, and meteorology was included in that. That's a good, practical field of study since you can apply the knowledge in so many other fields, and in your daily life.

Again I have the problem of no clear interests or plans for any career. Both courses teaches things that can be applied to many other fields, but once again I have no real preference. Neither do I have a clear Idea as to what these differences would be.
Thanks for you're input though, I like your enthusiasm

You can easily teach yourself a ton of astronomy. You have the internet.

Meteorology and oceanography is less popular, but super relevant to the world. I'd jump on that class.

I'm also kind of lazy :(
And I never really learned how to get anything really useful from the internet (cfc pfht)

There's also the question of how much I can teach myself. I read up a lot back in the day, but I have no idea how to easily find anything on university level on the internet.

Meteorology and oceanography being super relevant should also be a good argument, but I don't really want to work in the energy industry and the like.

Space is fun, you'll have no trouble learning all you want from outside sources. You'll happily watch online lectures or read books from the science section of bookstore.

But oceanography and meteorology knowledge are both important and rare. It's a set of knowledge that will be very useful to you in the future, since you'll be able to make all kind of useful input into important topics like climate change and ecology.

I don't happily watch online lectures :undecide:
Honestly, I don't know how much resolve I can muster to study natural science on my spare time anymore. Maybe in the future, but now I really don't know.
Also norwegian bookstores are mostly garbadge. The univerity bookstore is pretty good though, and there's the library. Honestly I have a lot more faith in that than online lectures.

Probably depends on if the practicals are interesting/uninteresting, and where you see yourself working in the future.
I'd guess that astronomy has a pretty narrow field of work (...well...space?), but with meteorology and oceanography you have a lot more possibilities (everything with ships, planes, transportation in general, military, weather itself, etc). But no real clue :p.

And how much you like Star Trek :D.

I can't say much about practical applications, but from what I've gathered, astronomy has in no way a more narrower field than metereology and oceanography (I think quite a few actually just becomes programmers either way)
And also again, no plans for what I'm going to do

I usually tend to go with the least popular thing to have better competitive edge.. or something.. or if it doesn't matter, what seems more fun at the moment.

I have absolutely no desire to get a competative edge (yes I'm kind of strange). Honestly, at the moment, astronomy sounds more fun.

So...

I probably have been very unconstructive in this response, and I wouldn't be surprised if I put someone off. I've probably painted a picture of myself as a lazy, whiney good-for-nothing.

But this shouldn't really be about my fear about facing the reality of my position. I'll probably be way more indecisive half a year from now, when I have to pick all the courses somewhat freely (maybe, the physics path is divided into even more paths, but I've decided a few I won't go for).
Rather, this was more about which of these two fields would be more interesting to study here and now, without regards for the future, which I disregard anyways.

I hope this wasn't too cryptic or off-putting. I appreciate all your response.

Howeverm I think I lean somewhat towards elemental particle physics. I assume that fits better with astronomy without really knowing

Much better. Astroparticle physics is quite a large subfield of particle physics. And the emerging field of neutrino astronomy even directly combines astronomy and particle physics.

It would be quite a stretch to imagine overlap between meteorology and oceanography and particle physics. So if you want to go into particle physics and learn something relevant for that (and not go for something fully unrelated as long as you have the chance), go for astronomy by all means.

I thought you were an old wise man of the mountain Bora. So that statement puzzled me too. Are you in an university or just studying for personal satisfaction from various sources?

The only conversation subject more boring than weather is travel directions.

But anyway my interests have lost their contour a long time ago. I suppose I'm asking what people would say is the most interesting of these two - which they would recommend.

Ignoring my punning for a bit, weather can be interesting! I used to be kind of a weather buff for a while (and still kind of am, I'll follow hurricane seasons when they get interesting and what-not). Sure, it's not very interesting if its high pressure and sunny everyday, but get a nice low pressure system, throw in some gulf moisture, bring in a cold front, and wham! Good stuff!

So my vote is either for astronomy or meteorology. Never found the ocean all that interesting, to be honest.

*squints*

Depending on how you look at it. For people living on Earth, yes the planet is of more immediate concern than the Universe.

But in the overall scheme of things, the Universe contains the Earth. Not the other way round.

The universe isn't our responsibility, the Earth is. The universe is largely beyond our control, the Earth is malleable.

Or, if you're more optimistic, we need to figure out things down here. Then we can discuss our place in the universe.

Personally, I'd go with astronomy.

I took a intro course on it once as an elective/option, it was awesome and really interesting. Kinda made me wish I had more time in my degree to take more astronomy-related courses. It was cool too, cause that semester there was a solar eclipse one day, and the prof encouraged us to go outside and see it. He and the astronomy department had a lot of solar telescopes set up and it was the coolest thing ever.

Also, a lot of girls like it when you know about stars and space. It's a pretty romantic subject. Just sayin'.

Both sound like fun, but meteorology & oceanography sounds much more timely (i.e. climate change, the myriad droughts around the world, etc).

There was a meteor shower last night.

Or so I heard. We had 100% cloud cover, so I couldn't see a thing. :huh:

There was a meteor shower last night.

Or so I heard. We had 100% cloud cover, so I couldn't see a thing. :huh:
You would have if you had taken some courses in meteorology :mischief:

To be honest, I think you should go astronomy, regardless of either course strengths/weaknesses, because that's what you're leaning towards. I'd generally say that appealing to your original feelings or instincts regarding class selection is better than not, especially if the probability is higher that you will find a class interesting.

To be honest, I think you should go astronomy, regardless of either course strengths/weaknesses, because that's what you're leaning towards. I'd generally say that appealing to your original feelings or instincts regarding class selection is better than not, especially if the probability is higher that you will find a class interesting.

This is basically what I went with.
Against popular opinion in the poll I decided to go for astronomy.

As for the whole climate change thing, I don't know if I will get any hand in that, but if I do, I won't neccesarily need to know the climate system outwards in, I think.

Now fingers crossed that there were no technical errors during registration.

Top Bottom