Single Player bugs and crashes - After the 13th July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

i'm having an endless turn in build 5881 & 5884.
When looking a the windows task manager game states not responding but memory usage keeps growing verry fast.

I am unable to reproduce this. Do I have to do anything beyond load the save and press end turn? For me that resulted in normal turn completion. I then ran another turn which was also fine.

Waiting for Civs bug just press end of turn. latest svn.

Works fine for me (with a fresh export of the latest SVN to ensure I am on current assets as well as DLL). Are you using exactly the current SVN without any test asset changes? Is it reproducible if you load the save and try again?

I am unable to reproduce this. Do I have to do anything beyond load the save and press end turn? For me that resulted in normal turn completion. I then ran another turn which was also fine.

i waited this time and i'm recieving he following error in game :

Memory allocation failure
reason : Bad allocation

i put the error logging at debug.

Could this be because i have only 4 GB off RAM temporarely?

Minor issue - Faustmouse, August 1 -
"Added Rock Art, Cloud Oberservers Hut, Weather Veins, Meteorology Lab and Climatology Lab."

That should be Weather Vanes. There's no such thing as Weather Veins.

EDIT: More importantly, the game crashes on world creation. What info can I provide?

i waited this time and i'm recieving he following error in game :

Memory allocation failure
reason : Bad allocation

i put the error logging at debug.

Could this be because i have only 4 GB off RAM temporarely?

Ah, if you're running out of memory that could explain crashes and hangs. Because BTS is a 32-bit program it cannot use large quantities of physical memory, so if you have 4G you're at the most that can be used anyway. Large maps generally exceed this unless you turn viewports on. Try with viewports on (BUG settings) - they are slightly annoying to use at times, but they should allow you to continue...

Try with viewports on (BUG settings) - they are slightly annoying to use at times, but they should allow you to continue...

Definitely one of the best things yet in Civ (VP):goodjob:

Could someone check my savegame in post #327? A few turns later the properties become even more extreme. Here are my maximum numbers:

Crime: between -4556 and -5213. That could be realistic though with Mind Control Centers that provide -1000 crime.
Air Pollution: between -736650 and +1081311 (not kidding!)
Water Pollution: between -697349 and +970929
Disease: between -1015805 and +1404929
Flammabillity: between +302 and +982 (seems to be OK)

Edit: A number of turns later Air, Water Pollution and Disease are beyond 200 million!

I haven't really been able to definitively pin down what is going on with properties once large values start to occur, but I **think** patchwork large positive and negative values are resulting in instability that manifests in oscillations over the distributed system (via the adjacent/near type manipulators).

I would suggest we pragmatically damped such things by imposing artificial limits on the values that any given property can take (so if they go outside that they just get clamped to the limit value), which would be provided by the property definition XML (e.g. - -1000 to + 2000 say for crime, -2000 to +2000 for disease and pollution, ...). Flammability is different because it is not a 'sourced' property but a directly set one (which I why it is not susceptible to the issues we're seeing).

I want to run this past AIAndy before I do anything however, but feedback is appreciated...

I would suggest we pragmatically damped such things by imposing artificial limits on the values that any given property can take (so if they go outside that they just get clamped to the limit value), which would be provided by the property definition XML (e.g. - -1000 to + 2000 say for crime, -2000 to +2000 for disease and pollution, ...). Flammability is different because it is not a 'sourced' property but a directly set one (which I why it is not susceptible to the issues we're seeing).

I want to run this past AIAndy before I do anything however, but feedback is appreciated...
Excellent suggestion!

Thank you for looking into this :) !

Works fine for me (with a fresh export of the latest SVN to ensure I am on current assets as well as DLL). Are you using exactly the current SVN without any test asset changes? Is it reproducible if you load the save and try again?

Did an update followed by export and it just sits there at 56% CPU and 2.96GB memory.

PINK btns in the Wonders, can you check them all thx. . . SO

Those aren't buttons! The first is because we use BULL and it can not handle white space in folder or button file names. Someone needs to fix Sargon's folders for him since he does not have access to the SVN.

Greetings from France.

I've been playing C2C the last few days, and I went into some troubles.
I keep going back to Desktop without any message at thet year BC-10116, no matter if I load previous save or reboot my game. This is kinda annoying, so I hope to get some help here.

Attachments

• Zengd4r BC-10116.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • MiniDump.7z
    12.1 KB · Views: 49
Game crashes to desktop on SVN revision 5884. I think it happens because of SGT Slick game option, but I am not sure. Anyway game works fine again after I update to revision 5883. Does anyone else have same problem?

Game crashes to desktop on SVN revision 5884. I think it happens because of SGT Slick game option, but I am not sure. Anyway game works fine again after I update to revision 5883. Does anyone else have same problem?

Yes, totally understandable - it's because someone added new tags without changing the cache version number. I fixed it today - if you update again it should be fine.

Greetings from France.

I've been playing C2C the last few days, and I went into some troubles.
I keep going back to Desktop without any message at thet year BC-10116, no matter if I load previous save or reboot my game. This is kinda annoying, so I hope to get some help here.

Is this V31, or V31 with the patch DLL? If it's V31 (original version) download the patch DLL from the patches thread and it will almost certainly resolve your problem.

Rev 5890
I changed Nebuchadnezzar's Revolutionary to Megalomaniac and CTD occurred. Was it really the reason of this CTD? attached save and minidump.

And the flag of Chippewa is just white? (Screenshot)

Hey, I've given up on trying to resurrect my earlier game and started a new one after installing the DLL patch. Works fine, but now my new game won't load... crashes quite often (every 5-10 turns) and it's quite frankly annoying. Now it's back to the "initializing" bug again while loading with corrupt saves despite the patch.

Should I do a fresh install of BTS (Steam ed.)? A fresh DL of the mod and patch? I'm running out of ideas here.

Attachments

• MiniDump.7z
    92 bytes · Views: 36
  • DJ BC-8725.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Hey, I've given up on trying to resurrect my earlier game and started a new one after installing the DLL patch. Works fine, but now my new game won't load... crashes quite often (every 5-10 turns) and it's quite frankly annoying. Now it's back to the "initializing" bug again while loading with corrupt saves despite the patch.

Should I do a fresh install of BTS (Steam ed.)? A fresh DL of the mod and patch? I'm running out of ideas here.

Do you have Viewports "on?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom