Single Player bugs and crashes v35 download - After the 18th of August 2014

The game must be payable well until its end.

The goal of this Mod always was to add tons of new stuff and after that add more new stuff........ That is why you can't play your game to the end, it's simply to much of everything.

BTW have you tried to play with Viewports enabled?

The goal of this Mod always was to add tons of new stuff and after that add more new stuff........ That is why you can't play your game to the end, it's simply to much of everything.
yes, but I think their idea is good and it would be a really great game .... if it works :lol:

until now they made the "free skating", now they have to do the "statutory share".

BTW have you tried to play with Viewports enabled?
no, have no idea what it is.

The solution would be if it is possible to clean the ram before or after processing "next turn" so that the ram usage is same (or nearby same) as with a new load of a sav.

Why don't you try using a memory manager such as "CleanMem". The basic version is free and cleans the ram every 15 minutes or so. That may help. :)

As for Sparth's tip:

You can switch off almost all unit graphic changes using this tip:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13341417&postcount=1

Previously, I could only just get to start of the Industrial era, while still encountering graphic crashes that were bearable.

Now I am at the begining of the Modern age without a single graphic crash.

Why don't you try using a memory manager such as "CleanMem". The basic version is free and cleans the ram every 15 minutes or so. That may help. :)
I have such but it does not work in this case. The ram is flagged as in use by the game.
Now I am at the begining of the Modern age without a single graphic crash.
w/o a grafic crash, and what is with ram related CTDs ?
it would be helpful if you don't makle a secret with your settings but publish it so that we can compare.

Why don't you try using a memory manager such as "CleanMem"..

it is no solution, it does not work proper and it gives CTD because memory allocation error nevertheless.

see attached screenshot

In all fairness, playing with 29 civs is going to be extremely taxing, even on powerful computers. Perhaps in future you should consider game options that lead to fewer civilisations in game, which would have a noticeable effect on game performance.

w/o a grafic crash, and what is with ram related CTDs ?
it would be helpful if you don't makle a secret with your settings but publish it so that we can compare.

By graphic crash - I mean an overload on the graphic card causing a blue screen system reset.

I have not had a MAF CTD for a very long time.

No secret with the settings - they have been mentioned on this forum a few times - can not remember which threads - so do not ask. :)

But here they are again:

7+ year old system (custom built).

Windows XP (32 bit), 64 bit Gigabyte motherboard (I had intended to upgrade to 64 bit OS eventually) , Graphcs card ATI HD4800 (512MB), 4GB ram at 3.4mz. (using /3gb switch).

I can only play on standard size maps or smaller on C2C or RI..

Waiting for windows 9 - before I upgrade. Just hope is is not a lemon - like W8.

I can only play on standard size maps or smaller.
well, that's the thing. We here are discussing the GEM with come with the v35 package.

@Arakhor
the GEM with 32 civs come with the v32 package. So I expect that it does work proper.

But all what I see since v33 is that there is made lot of stuff but no bug fix of v33 and it is no longer working. For a GEM the 32 civs are not to much, it is a BIG map. And furthermore, on such a big map it is relatively unimportant how much civs there are, if I have 5 civs and 1000 barbarians and the 5 civs have 10,000 units, its same.

Remember, on v33 I could play with 42 civs fine. Some bugs in, but no essential memory allocation problem. The memory usage always stay hard before the limit, come not higher.

I already complained that there is no smaller (but grater than standard) map made, althozght there was a good map before in ROM. It was the doing of the C2C ppl to remove the medium map and focus all to the GEM. SO they have to make it working, otherwise all the fine doing for C2C is worthless, w/o working map. (and if I take 32 or 22 civs, will make no difference for the ram problem. It maybe will come little later then.

Relatively minor in the schemes of things, but building The Empire State Building wonder throws an error and doesn't seem to give its three random resources. It worked in earlier versions. Its a possibility its intended effect is still happening but not displaying what you get. Sorry if its not really in depth.

Also with the amount of turns I have played on games so far I've yet to see a resource being discovered from a mountain mine that's not shown up immediately from being revealed by a technology. Just a observation and by no means confirmation of something wrong. EDIT: Ignore my last paragraph, I did have a resource eventually pop up from a mountain mine, just must of been the RNG not liking them.

well, that's the thing. We here are discussing the GEM with come with the v35 package.

@Arakhor
the GEM with 32 civs come with the v32 package. So I expect that it does work proper.

But all what I see since v33 is that there is made lot of stuff but no bug fix of v33 and it is no longer working. For a GEM the 32 civs are not to much, it is a BIG map. And furthermore, on such a big map it is relatively unimportant how much civs there are, if I have 5 civs and 1000 barbarians and the 5 civs have 10,000 units, its same.

Remember, on v33 I could play with 42 civs fine. Some bugs in, but no essential memory allocation problem. The memory usage always stay hard before the limit, come not higher.

I already complained that there is no smaller (but grater than standard) map made, althozght there was a good map before in ROM. It was the doing of the C2C ppl to remove the medium map and focus all to the GEM. SO they have to make it working, otherwise all the fine doing for C2C is worthless, w/o working map. (and if I take 32 or 22 civs, will make no difference for the ram problem. It maybe will come little later then.

The GEM map is not produced by the C2C team. It is provided by players like yourself that wanted an Earth map that can be used with C2C. The C2C team then decided to add it to the release/SVN versions.

If it is not kept upto date with C2C - it will be removed from the mod. Users will then have to download it from the "Maps and Scenarios" threads.

If you have any complaints about GEM, go to the GEM thread in the "Maps and Scenarios" section and ask those that are currently supporting it.

The GEM map is not produced by the C2C team. .
it is in the official v35 download package delivered as the *only* map, other and smaller maps no longer are in, so this excuse I cannot accept.

Otherwise C2 should say "we have no map working with C2C" and provide the version w/o any map. Point.

BTW: compare my old files of v33 with current game v35:

v33 - 15.2 MB .sav size - 2.1 Ram needed, being at ecology
v35 - 8.9 MB .sav size - 2.78 Ram needed, being at critical touch

both with same GEM Map, while in v33 I run with 42 factions and custom civs and in v35 with 32 and standard civs only

This underlines what I say: the amout of civs is not the thing. It may slow the processing, but it is slow anyways, and if I wait 1 min of processing a turn or 1 1/2 min is not important (otherwise I play a real time shooter), if the game works. But it is important if I get any second turn a CTD because memory allocation error and need to load complete new (what needs more time overall), or if the game works w/o such CTDs.

So if they press in more and more and then say there are too much civs and make a work around by lowering the number of civs, that is the wrong way of developing, such gives displeasure only.

When Size Matters is checked and I want to disband some unit for money (e.g. I do not need it anymore and I want to cut mintenance costs), it is better to:

- not to disband a merged unit (tip: split it again and then disband), as you get money for each disbanded unit, its size does not count

- if it is possible, split the unit to smaller ones (the reason as above).

So if you want to disband a merged unit which consists of units that may be split, it is better to split it to original units and then split each of them, then disband all of them - you will get 9x money. Sounds like an exploit to get much more money from producing, splitting and then disbanding units.

S.

it is in the official v35 download package delivered as the *only* map, other and smaller maps no longer are in, so this excuse I cannot accept.

Otherwise C2 should say "we have no map working with C2C" and provide the version w/o any map. Point.

BTW: compare my old files of v33 with current game v35:

v33 - 15.2 MB .sav size - 2.1 Ram needed, being at ecology
v35 - 8.9 MB .sav size - 2.78 Ram needed, being at critical touch

both with same GEM Map, while in v33 I run with 42 factions and custom civs and in v35 with 32 and standard civs only

This underlines what I say: the amout of civs is not the thing. It may slow the processing, but it is slow anyways, and if I wait 1 min of processing a turn or 1 1/2 min is not important (otherwise I play a real time shooter), if the game works. But it is important if I get any second turn a CTD because memory allocation error and need to load complete new (what needs more time overall), or if the game works w/o such CTDs.

So if they press in more and more and then say there are too much civs and make a work around by lowering the number of civs, that is the wrong way of developing, such gives displeasure only.

I can only agree here but there is no simple way to fix it. There are a few possible ways to save memory in the dll but that takes time.

@Driefels,
his underlines what I say: the amout of civs is not the thing.
Sorry but your assumption about the amount of Civs in game affecting MAF's is Wrong. If you are pushing 2.2 GB of ram usage you Will start getting MAF's and in Both your examples you are there or almost there. GEM maps are notorious for ram usage and playing with 42 and 32 Civs, respectively, is also asking for MAF's. It is you that needs to adapt.

Currently my Ram usage for C2C is between 1.5 and 1.9 GB. But I only use 10 -12 Civs.

And as for "excuses" and "only" map is unacceptable from you. There are Other maps available besides a GEM type. Use them.

If you find a true bug report it. But if all you are doing is bellyaching that you can't play your favorite GEM map with more Civs than the Civ IV engine can handle that IS your Problem, not the Mod's.

JosEPh

When Size Matters is checked and I want to disband some unit for money (e.g. I do not need it anymore and I want to cut mintenance costs), it is better to:

- not to disband a merged unit (tip: split it again and then disband), as you get money for each disbanded unit, its size does not count

- if it is possible, split the unit to smaller ones (the reason as above).

So if you want to disband a merged unit which consists of units that may be split, it is better to split it to original units and then split each of them, then disband all of them - you will get 9x money. Sounds like an exploit to get much more money from producing, splitting and then disbanding units.

S.

hmm... there was an attempt to keep this in ratio as well... I may have to go back and look into this again apparently. That is if we get to keep Size Matters at all.

But if all you are doing is bellyaching that you can't play your favorite GEM map with more Civs than the Civ IV engine can handle that IS your Problem, not the Mod's.
JosEPh

IT IS !

when I download a complete package, as here provided, I expect that the only map in this package (having 32 civs) does work fine. The providing persone/group is responsible for the content. The more, as in the package is no related hint that the included map is sh*** and not working.

It is VERY frustrating to start a game/map, new version, expect bug fixed, spent time for playing, play some days and then need to see that all was worthless. A half game is not what I want.

For alpha testing the SVN is fine, but when you publish a complete package, then it needs to work so as it is delivered.

All other is a coweardly excuse as you cannot explain and make understandable why you made lot of new stuff in but nothing to get it working proper.

I undertand, that crating new images and such makes more fun than the construction and testing part, but the one is worthless w/o the other.

As v34 already had the ram problem, overall it is one year work for nothing, as the v32 ist the last working version (but just with bugs).

:(

@Hydro Is "Classic Lifestyle" supposed to be the gateway to the Classical Era. If so it fails as I researched Zoroastrianism and got the change of era screen.

Relatively minor in the schemes of things, but building The Empire State Building wonder throws an error and doesn't seem to give its three random resources. It worked in earlier versions. Its a possibility its intended effect is still happening but not displaying what you get. Sorry if its not really in depth.

Also with the amount of turns I have played on games so far I've yet to see a resource being discovered from a mountain mine that's not shown up immediately from being revealed by a technology. Just a observation and by no means confirmation of something wrong. EDIT: Ignore my last paragraph, I did have a resource eventually pop up from a mountain mine, just must of been the RNG not liking them.

Next time you get an error like that have a look in the PythonErr.log and if the there is something there please post the file here. It makes life so much easier as I don't have to play a game to where I can build the wonder. It has taken me 3 days just to get to the Classic era!

The Classical Lifestyle tech needs to do something. Making it the gateway to the Classical Era is perfectly fine, but the tech does nothing besides that.

nvm.:(

I'm getting two errors that say;

Unit with NULL group ID on call to CvPlayer::updateGroupCycle

Unit with NULL group ID found in stack on call to CvPlayer::updateGroupCycle

then it CTDs

Top Bottom