Single Player bugs and crashes v37 plus (SVN) - After the 24th of December 2016

I have no idea what an SVN is

I'm using Version 37. December, 2016
Ah... ok, so that's it then. In the main forum you'll find a stickied SVN discussions thread. The first post tells you how to get the latest assets we've developed through the SVN download. We've fixed the bug you're talking about since v37 was released.

Ah... ok, so that's it then. In the main forum you'll find a stickied SVN discussions thread. The first post tells you how to get the latest assets we've developed through the SVN download. We've fixed the bug you're talking about since v37 was released.

Ah, OK, I was unaware the bug fixes were called SVN (Apache Subversion?)

Thank you, I'll take a look.

Ah, OK, I was unaware the bug fixes were called SVN (Apache Subversion?)

Thank you, I'll take a look.
actually SVN is like Early Access: you have latest features, bugfixes and changes, but new bugs can happen, there may be incomplete features and possibility of savebreaking changes.

Last edited:
actually SVN is like Early Access: you have latest features, bugfixes and changes, but it may be buggy or may be savebreaking changes here.

Thank you. Y'know, I love this game, but I have a hell of time finding anything. The external mirror site is confusing, there is no clear path that I can see to get the SVN. Or the sticky mentioned above. Too much information :(

Thank you. Y'know, I love this game, but I have a hell of time finding anything. The external mirror site is confusing, there is no clear path that I can see to get the SVN. Or the sticky mentioned above. Too much information :(

You read the 1st post in the SVN Changelog thread? Spells it all out for how to set up to use SVN.

Also there is a v37 Patch thread where I posted a Full SVN Mod version for those that do not have or use SVN. It's about a month old now but much newer and better than stock v37. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/update-patches-for-v37.613571/#post-14713414

You read the 1st post in the SVN Changelog thread? Spells it all out for how to set up to use SVN.

Also there is a v37 Patch thread where I posted a Full SVN Mod version for those that do not have or use SVN. It's about a month old now but much newer and better than stock v37. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/update-patches-for-v37.613571/#post-14713414

There it is, bless your heart :)

Patches I get.

I just have a devil of a time finding anything, too many pictures in places, or messages, or whatever. It would be nice to have a simple central spot on the main page or something, just a clean clear link click, or button. I'm not complaining, but it would save me time from having to ask where anything is all the time ;)

And you guys from having to answer :p

Great, I got it working. But then the game crashed when I ran out of time :/

It usually says, just one more turn, but it just shut it down entirely. (sigh)

SVN 9614.

Just an update from a XP system user.

After all the recent XML corrections:

Using the latest SVN (9614). Starting the game from new - still crashes after a few turns (<5).

Either my system is overloaded or more XML corrections needed.

As an aside, the corrections Alberts recently made to "New cultures" now means they load on my system (after 2 years or more). Pity the game crashes after a few turns.

SVN 9614.

Using the latest SVN (9614). Starting the game from new - still crashes after a few turns (<5).

As an aside, the corrections Alberts recently made to "New cultures" now means they load on my system (after 2 years or more). Pity the game crashes after a few turns.
Alberts is beginning a major project that will dramatically reduce memory usage.

SVN 9614.

Yes, unfortunately the same here. XP user as well. Drat. I deleted the New Cultures folder, still crashes.

Yes, unfortunately the same here. XP user as well. Drat. I deleted the New Cultures folder, still crashes.
If you used the Patch I pointed you to, then you are not using SVN 9614 BunnyWunny. But this problem has been around for sometime.

There might be a rare CTD happening when units loose promotions.

A work mule lost the self heal 1 promotion because it no longer had a required combat class. But the ai choose the same promotion as replacement for the lost promotion. The unit lost the promotion again and the same promotion was taken again...............................................................

That became a infinite loop and caused an crash in the ntdll.dll.

I'am not 100% certain about the details because it happened in one of the saves i requested and since it's a big game running it with the debug dll takes forever.

There might be a rare CTD happening when units loose promotions.

A work mule lost the self heal 1 promotion because it no longer had a required combat class. But the ai choose the same promotion as replacement for the lost promotion. The unit lost the promotion again and the same promotion was taken again...............................................................

That became a infinite loop and caused an crash in the ntdll.dll.

I'am not 100% certain about the details because it happened in one of the saves i requested and since it's a big game running it with the debug dll takes forever.
I'd like to evaluate that so I could come up with a means to resolving it but the details are too sketchy, as I'm sure you would agree. SelfHeal1... if the ai could select it then how could it lack a prerequisite combat class and lose it in the first place? The code seems to have been working for losing promos when combat classes are lost... although there is some looping that was introduced to fix another bug and maybe a bindup is happening in that somewhere. I'd have to see it take place in action.

I'm running AI autoplay with 7 civs. All are on Noble handicap/Gigantic space map/huge earth map (using peppers mod)/Eternity.
It looks like they don't care about founding religions with divine prophets or other option, that spawns prophet, allowing you to fund religion in city of your choice.
Only one religion was created in 750th turn. Using latest SVN + peppers mod.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-7220.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
I'd like to evaluate that so I could come up with a means to resolving it but the details are too sketchy, as I'm sure you would agree. SelfHeal1... if the ai could select it then how could it lack a prerequisite combat class and lose it in the first place? The code seems to have been working for losing promos when combat classes are lost... although there is some looping that was introduced to fix another bug and maybe a bindup is happening in that somewhere. I'd have to see it take place in action.

It seems that some changes i made to improve the turn times also fix that crash because i never had it with my modified dll. I was comparing my changes with the current svn in terms of turn times to see how well my changes work then i got that crash. I never had that one before.

I also found something that made units consume much more memory then they need to and that issue increased the turn times as well. After playing one of Joseph games a few turns the memory usage is ~600Mb lower as it is with the current svn dll.

But it might take a while before i commit these changes because i find more and more issues that i have to look into and i don't want to break anything else.

It seems that some changes i made to improve the turn times also fix that crash because i never had it with my modified dll. I was comparing my changes with the current svn in terms of turn times to see how well my changes work then i got that crash. I never had that one before.

I also found something that made units consume much more memory then they need to and that issue increased the turn times as well. After playing one of Joseph games a few turns the memory usage is ~600Mb lower as it is with the current svn dll.

But it might take a while before i commit these changes because i find more and more issues that i have to look into and i don't want to break anything else.
Cool, for my experiment base memory usage is around 1500 MB and it slowly creeps upwards, as turns pass by, but when I exit game and go back memory usage is back at 1500 MB like there was some memory leak. Now its at 2300 MB mark. Using latest SVN

I'm using space map - modified version of caveman2endless map with 7 civs, each containing unique continent-culture - peppers space mod required.
Map size is gigantic, speed - eternity and diffuculty - Noble. This is AI game - I'm on autoplay somewhere at 1120 turn.
Heres save if you want to try, but you must install peppers modmod so you can test it.
Turn times are at 15 secs now - I don't have "minimalize AI turns" bug option, as it prevents me from peeking into AI-run game.
I'm currently nearing Ancient.
Egypt is powerhouse and other six civs have similiar score - maybe thats because Egypt has caves nearby :mischief:
So if you want to look into my save install peppers space mod.

Forgot to mention I have chipotle on and whole map revealed. Also playing on highest graphical settings.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-4060.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
After playing one of Joseph games a few turns the memory usage is ~600Mb lower as it is with the current svn dll.

Glad I could help you. :) And 600Mb is a very good reduction! :goodjob:

I do not know when exactly this bug has been introduced, but Yoruba buildings cannot be built.
Currently I'm using 9615.

wow... awesome! I'm very intrigued to know what this was.

Note: I don't have a lot of time at the moment but there were some other comments in this thread I do need to address. I'll get to them shortly.

I'm running AI autoplay with 7 civs. All are on Noble handicap/Gigantic space map/huge earth map (using peppers mod)/Eternity.
It looks like they don't care about founding religions with divine prophets or other option, that spawns prophet, allowing you to fund religion in city of your choice.
Only one religion was created in 750th turn. Using latest SVN + peppers mod.
They'll found religions but they sometimes choose not to with the prophet they get if the situation is right. The situation is right when they are within an era away from their 'favorite religion' and they don't have another prophet. In this case, they'll instead shoot for their favored religion and keep the prophet they got from the previous religion to give them an immediate shrine when they get their favorite religion. If someone gets it out from under them, they'll use the prophet then in whatever best way they can.
I do not know when exactly this bug has been introduced, but Yoruba buildings cannot be built.
Currently I'm using 9615.
Yoruba buildings require that you are on Yoruba as the state religion. Is this possibly the issue?

Top Bottom