Single Player bugs and crashes v37 plus (SVN) - After the 24th of December 2016

I could not duplicate this crash. The mini shows that it's taking place at a point during an attack but doesn't show how. Are you using the fast combat options so as to disable combat graphics? If not, try that (they are original game options you can set in the main CivIV option panel). There's a crash bug there that we haven't been able to figure out unfortunately. If I could get it to crash in process, I might be able to see what the problem is but it's not behaving so it's got to be a localized option difference that's creating the issue. Possibly stack attack?

I did have fast combat on, all of the options disabled to view friendly / enemy moves and I think I also have the BUG option on to minimize turn times. I suspect it might be that option. I'll load it back up and try disabling them one at a time and see.

Update: I made sure all of the fast move and combat options were on (I think they already were) and I turned off the BUG option to minimize ai turn times (was previously on.) Stack attack in the civ game options is off (I never have that on.) In graphics I have pretty much everything on max settings except AA set down to 4 and I have no combat zoom. I still crashed at from what I can tell is the same place.

I'm going to try a) removing my usersettings directory and b) reducing my graphics options to the lowest I can set them.

Last edited:
I'm going to try a) removing my usersettings directory and b) reducing my graphics options to the lowest I can set them.

I tried a) and a)+b) and it still resulted in a crashes for me both times. Any other suggestions?

I tried a) and a)+b) and it still resulted in a crashes for me both times. Any other suggestions?
Sometimes the debug dll is correcting a bad gamestate and that's why I can't get it to crash. Try running the game through the problem turn on the debug dll then saving again and switching back.

To do this, go into the Caveman2Cosmos/Assets folder and rename CvGameCoreDLL.dll to CvGameCoreDLL.dll.core Then rename the CvGameCoreDLL.dll.debug to CvGameCoreDLL.dll

Then start the game. It will take a VERY long time to run so be extremely patient. Your turn took nearly an hour to process. You'll get some assert popups which basically suggest the possibility of a bug (all of which that came up for this turn were totally normal anomolies in extremely complex systems that have not been debugged yet that remain from Koshling's days working on the code.) For those asserts, just hit always ignore. The game won't keep processing when these pop up so you have to watch the turn run through, and again, it takes forever.

But for whatever reason, ignoring all asserts, I could run the turn fine and it never crashed. So you should be able to do the same. When it gets to the next turn, save the game as soon as you can and exit. Rename the dll files back to the way they were and run the game again loading from where you just saved. I suspect it'll run just fine from there.

Sometimes the debug dll is correcting a bad gamestate and that's why I can't get it to crash. Try running the game through the problem turn on the debug dll then saving again and switching back.

To do this, go into the Caveman2Cosmos/Assets folder and rename CvGameCoreDLL.dll to CvGameCoreDLL.dll.core Then rename the CvGameCoreDLL.dll.debug to CvGameCoreDLL.dll

Then start the game. It will take a VERY long time to run so be extremely patient. Your turn took nearly an hour to process. You'll get some assert popups which basically suggest the possibility of a bug (all of which that came up for this turn were totally normal anomolies in extremely complex systems that have not been debugged yet that remain from Koshling's days working on the code.) For those asserts, just hit always ignore. The game won't keep processing when these pop up so you have to watch the turn run through, and again, it takes forever.

But for whatever reason, ignoring all asserts, I could run the turn fine and it never crashed. So you should be able to do the same. When it gets to the next turn, save the game as soon as you can and exit. Rename the dll files back to the way they were and run the game again loading from where you just saved. I suspect it'll run just fine from there.

Yes, it got through to the next turn using the debug dll without a crash, but many assert popups like you said. I'll give this a go with the original dll and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help and tip about the debug dll.

Anyone has noticed any issue with unit acion list when units are in the city? For half of them my list is empty.. I have rev 9742

Anyone has noticed any issue with unit acion list when units are in the city? For half of them my list is empty.. I have rev 9742
That's a very real possibility given the bug I just corrected from SO's save report. I wish you'd posted a save though with instructions on replicating the effect. But at this point I'll just ask you to update once I get the next commit posted and confirm for me that it's taken care of.

That's a very real possibility given the bug I just corrected from SO's save report. I wish you'd posted a save though with instructions on replicating the effect. But at this point I'll just ask you to update once I get the next commit posted and confirm for me that it's taken care of.
Nope crashes when clicking on next turn . . . had top go back to 9741 dll . .

EDIT: 1 thing i have noticed about "some" of the crashes is that when we go back to the old dll, its a "screen" of some sort that pops up, the others are art/errors . . .

Attachments

• siwrd1.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I can confirm that the latest SVN is causing rrepeatable CTD'S. No issues at 9741.

I can provide a save if you want. Figure you probably have enough to deal with.

I can confirm that the latest SVN is causing rrepeatable CTD'S. No issues at 9741.

I can provide a save if you want. Figure you probably have enough to deal with.
Please post the save and the .dmp file zipped as well.

I am running the 9743 SVN and action buttons are missing for some units. Could anyone tell me how to revert? Last time I tried I broke it and had to redownload it.

Edit: Never mind I figured it out how to revert without breaking.

Last edited:
I am running the 9743 SVN and action buttons are missing for some units. Could anyone tell me how to revert? Last time I tried I broke it and had to redownload it.

Edit: Never mind I figured it out how to revert without breaking.
It would help tremendously to have a save that shows the problem. I didn't see any issues with that on SO's after the 'fix' that apparently didn't work.

@SO: very strange that the fix didn't work because I couldn't get it to crash on my end after fixing up some logic issues. I didn't have a ton of time to work on it though so didn't make sure to test the non-debug dll once compiled. I'll take another look at it tonight.

Sorry but I already reverted.

It would help tremendously to have a save that shows the problem. I didn't see any issues with that on SO's after the 'fix' that apparently didn't work.
Save was in with mini as i noted in said post . . .

It was on a subdued bear and supply ship.

Save was in with mini as i noted in said post . . .
On your save did you see any units that didn't have the full range of missions available to them? I looked around but couldn't find any that seemed cut off. Merchants could have cause for that but you didn't have any trained merchants.

Thanks for the response JosEph,

I had continued my game reverting to SVN 9741 on Pit's UEM, but have now ran into a CTD at end of turn. Thought I'd take the opportunity to update back to 9743 to provide you with the save, I was even unable to load the last auto save.

I haven't checked to see if the CTD on 9741 is repeatable, not sure if that's something you need me to do but that will have to wait. Anyway, I will provide you with the original save and not the auto save. Also for some reason there is no .dmp file, so I have the PythonErr file if it helps.

Thanks

Update: running fine on 9741 as far as i can tell, don't know if this is something you need to know but i haven't bin here long.

Attachments

• O'Brien.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 66
  • PythonErr2.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Now I have 9743 - same effect. Check units in capital.
What I did - del previous expor/new export on same directory from rev 9743 -> cache del (only AppData\Local\My Games\beyond the sword\cache\) -> and start the attached save.
If You don't face same issue - probably i have to clear something more...
Please let me know ;)

Edited: I have reverted to 9733 - now everything seems to be ok

Attachments

• Big Q BC-4760.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Top Bottom