Single Player bugs and crashes v40 download - After Oct 2019

and is there anywhere else I should look for old files?
You don't want to have anything real inside:
Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\assets
Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets
Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS (this one can contain other mods, just make sure there's not a Caveman2Cosmos folder here)
Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Patch
By "real" I mean files, not just empty folders.
(2) unpack the just-downloaded zipped pack I got this morning, and (3) try it again?
Where did you download it from, could be you just got a patch from v40 to v40.1 rather than the full mod.

I would still advise you to just get the SVN, v40.1 is so inferior to where C2C is at now.

Last edited:
Toffer 90,

I am having trouble loading the log up, the upload says invalid extension, does not like the .log bit

Toffer90,

I downloaded it from a link to moddb, the same place I got the previous versions, and the file size was over 900 MB..

Do you want me to rename the Pythonerr.log to try and it it out here, or what do you want me to do with it?

Edit: Heh, just learned there is a wait-time on posts...guessing to stop spammers?

*checks box about learning new things today*

Toffer90,

Timing is everything and messages do cross in the mail. I just renamed it

Attachments

• PythonErrorLog.txt
    31 KB · Views: 37
Toffer90,

Ummm..the mod is a bit more than that. It is weighing in at 11,473 files and 2.62 GB.on the disk. I am guessing that is not good.

Okay, I went through the list of places you suggested I look for other C2C elements... nothing in MODS or Patches.

I have assets0-3.fpk in assets and various files in CustomAsset, but if the download was corrupted, and it sounds like it might be, then this part of the situation may be a moot point.

Toffer90,

Just to clarify, the assets and CustomAssets are folders, but I am not finding files. I did not make that clear. Sorry about that.

Toffer90,

I was leaning strongly toward getting SVN when you first suggested it, but with this situation being the bog monster that it has become, I will follow your guidance on that and try to secure a more up-to-date copy of the mod that way. Thanks for the link on how to do that.

I have to get off for dinner, but I will be trying to get this fixed tonight or tomorrow. I will leave a note as to how things went, just so you and Blazenclaw know. The problem is not yet solved, but I think it is getting close.

Again, thanks for the help. Any other advice or thoughts that might help, I appreciate it. :).

Farewell for now.

Toffer90,

Ummm..the mod is a bit more than that. It is weighing in at 11,473 files and 2.62 GB.on the disk. I am guessing that is not good.

Okay, I went through the list of places you suggested I look for other C2C elements... nothing in MODS or Patches.

I have assets0-3.fpk in assets and various files in CustomAsset, but if the download was corrupted, and it sounds like it might be, then this part of the situation may be a moot point.
That is how big this mod is.

The SVN link Toffer posted is straight forward and the best way to get an up tp date version of the Mod. There is the Main site Git but that is a few steps more involved getting it set up. The GitDesktop app then allows you to get the absolute latest changes to the Mod. But also may carry new bugs because it is really the Dev copy.

When you use spies you use up the espionage you have against a particular opponent - some cities are more expensive to use spy missions against than others and the cost varies also based on how much espionage you have vs them - plus if they did a counterespionage mission against you that might have made the cost too expensive. Too expensive isn't just a matter of not having enough to pull off the mission either - iirc for each mission there's like some maximum cost and if it's over that you can't do it at all, that sort of thing.

You'd get more info on mission costs in the espionage screen by selecting the target leader then looking at his city and looking at the costs lists for missions in that city and if they are in red they aren't currently possible due to mission tolerances.

I've long felt that culture bombing with artists has been waaaay too nerfed.
Just got it back last night. Had to keep the spy in the city for almost 20 turns on Normal to get it back (accumulated enough "points" for it to become a choice again. Now that I know this that will be a big help. Although the ratio of Culture in Karkhemish is 80% mine and 17% Sennecherib (sp?) I have no idea how long before this city flips. Or even if it will. I could declare War and take it by force. But I would rather find out IF it really will flip. City has now lost 3 pop since I started posting about when or if it will flip.

Glad you agree here. They currently give 4000 Culture no matter the Era from Preh thru Ren eras. I would assume it stays at that level for the rest of the game. Do you have a suggestion for # of Culture points they "should" give? How hard would it be to set a sliding scale of points for them to give for each era? Too much coding??? IDK.

Glad you agree here. They currently give 4000 Culture no matter the Era from Preh thru Ren eras. I would assume it stays at that level for the rest of the game. Do you have a suggestion for # of Culture points they "should" give? How hard would it be to set a sliding scale of points for them to give for each era? Too much coding??? IDK.
Wouldn't be too much coding if we took this and other things like it (like the Great Spy's espionage blast) and gave it a 'per era' amount. Too much for me at the moment but a good project to log down on GitHub. Would be rather easy, though we'd have to do something to make it different for the GPs and lesser versions, which I think we actually already have.

Actually, I should be able to weave it into the coding phase of the unit planning and go take a quick look at what the settings are now and how to adjust them based on an x per era approach. Because yeah, without some kind of scaling it by era, it's just going to be silly no matter what it's set at - silly strong at first spanning to silly weak later on.

Last edited:
Hello, again, and I hope everyone is having a great day.

The game and mod are now working, but it took a bit more fiddling. I did use the SVN to get the latest version of the C2C mod, but still had some troubles, although not as many.. What finally fixed everything as far as I can tell was switching off the compatibility function. Not sure why that may have been the last problem, but it let me have the F# keys back. I have been running previous versions with the compatibility function so it would work, but apparently the mod has changed enough that this is no longer an issue. Strange, but that was the final step. I did it out of desperation / inspiration more than planning, though, tbh .

So, just to recap in case something like this happens to someone else.

1) uninstalled and reinstalled Civ4-BTS
2) uninstalled and reinstalled C2C mod from the SVN (after making sure no copies were floating around in various places suggested earlier)
3) tested and found improvement, then bugs went away (I hope) when I switched off compatibility function in the shortcut. For the record, I still run as admin.

Thanks again for the help on this. I am 300 turns in and no issues to report. No messages at all. Improvements are great, by the way. Thanks again. :)

Hello, again, and I hope everyone is having a great day.

The game and mod are now working, but it took a bit more fiddling. I did use the SVN to get the latest version of the C2C mod, but still had some troubles, although not as many.. What finally fixed everything as far as I can tell was switching off the compatibility function. Not sure why that may have been the last problem, but it let me have the F# keys back. I have been running previous versions with the compatibility function so it would work, but apparently the mod has changed enough that this is no longer an issue. Strange, but that was the final step. I did it out of desperation / inspiration more than planning, though, tbh .

So, just to recap in case something like this happens to someone else.

1) uninstalled and reinstalled Civ4-BTS
2) uninstalled and reinstalled C2C mod from the SVN (after making sure no copies were floating around in various places suggested earlier)
3) tested and found improvement, then bugs went away (I hope) when I switched off compatibility function in the shortcut. For the record, I still run as admin.

Thanks again for the help on this. I am 300 turns in and no issues to report. No messages at all. Improvements are great, by the way. Thanks again. :)
Curious, what Win version are you running on?

@Toffer90 ,

Have run into a tile in my current game that has 2 resources on it. Tar and fine Clay.

Now this may have been fixed because this C2C_World map was generated from SVN11200 version. And I know you have done work on maps since then. But I post it any way.

See screenshot.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0137.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0137.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 41
@Toffer90 ,

Have run into a tile in my current game that has 2 resources on it. Tar and fine Clay.

Now this may have been fixed because this C2C_World map was generated from SVN11200 version. And I know you have done work on maps since then. But I post it any way.

See screenshot.
Tar is a tile feature and clay a resource, unless I'm mistaken? But it definitely looks odd, and should be avoided.

I've actually been looking at c2cworld mapscript recently (lake overhaul juuuuust about done), and the resource placement could use some refactoring (takes like 50sec to place resources on my comp during mapgen for larger maps), though haven't touched it yet and not sure if this particular issue has been fixed or not. Toffer, want me to look into it?

Tar is a tile feature and clay a resource, unless I'm mistaken?
That is correct.
Toffer, want me to look into it?
The slow resource placement code?
That is something that is mostly old perfectMongoose code, have only tweaked it myself without any major rewriting.
You are free to rethink it as long as you keep all the xml rules it currently have; you may take some liberties with the iOrder rule though if needed.

@Toffer90 ,

See screenshot.
I checked xml and py files.
It seems to be fixed - resources can't spawn on tar pit anymore.

Top Bottom