Single Player bugs and crashes v40 download - After Oct 2019

Run game as admin.

I will try that, thanks. This is Windows 10, so some strange things happen to older games and running as admin sometimes helps...

Make sure mod isn't in My Documents and is named exactly "Caveman2Cosmos"

The mod is exactly in the place it needs to be (D:\PROG\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos).

If it doesn't work then reinstall mod.

I don't think it would help (this is a fresh reinstall of C2C) but it may be the last resort, so thanks a lot.

S.

I will try that, thanks. This is Windows 10, so some strange things happen to older games and running as admin sometimes helps...

The mod is exactly in the place it needs to be (D:\PROG\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos).

I don't think it would help (this is a fresh reinstall of C2C) but it may be the last resort, so thanks a lot.

S.
Also delete User Settings folder too if this won't work

I have reinstalled C2C (this time I have used a SVN version updated on Jan. 17) and it seems no advisor works (including the Scientific one). I will try the tip with User Settings.

S.

Edit: no effect. I wiill try with the download version (at least the Scientific advisor works).

Last edited:
I have reinstalled C2C (this time I have used a SVN version updated on Jan. 17) and it seems no advisor works (including the Scientific one). I will try the tip with User Settings.

S.
If you are playing with language other than English, then switch to English.

And this was THE tip which finally worked - I had to switch the language and restart the game. I will check if my leader will develop after I hit End of Turn - if not, I will start a new game. Thanks a lot!

S.
I got python error on loading with Polish translation, so its actual bug.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugEventManager", line 307, in _handleDefaultEvent
  File "CvEventManager", line 206, in onWindowActivation
  File "CvScreensInterface", line 1273, in lateInit
  File "CvMilitaryAdvisor", line 20, in __init__
  File "UnitGrouper", line 377, in __init__
  File "UnitGrouper", line 352, in __init__
  File "UnitGrouper", line 64, in __init__
  File "BugUtil", line 143, in getPlainText
  File "BugUtil", line 158, in getText
RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
I could open all advisors though, I guess I need base civ translation to replicate thing with advisors.
Polish letters are not displayed at all.

I got python error on loading with Polish translation, so its actual bug.

Yes, indeed - I had a lot of error messages when playing. Anyway, the Polish translation is incomplete and recently I have spent a lot of time playing Civ V in English because there is no Polish translation of the Vox Populi - Community Patch mod, so this is not a big problem for me...

Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_4.png
AI rly wants education XD (ancient era)

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
Yea but i mean why the hell ai did so much story tellers? He just dont need em.
Are you playing on V40.1? It was released recently.

There was bug, where AI built random units for no reason.
Also it may be planning for building new city.

Yeah some work has been done that I THINK improves that a lot this time around but I haven't fully confirmed it. v40.1 is fully compatible with v40 saves btw, so I'd urge you to get updated to it right away.

Yea but i mean why the hell ai did so much story tellers? He just dont need em.
Not A Bug!

Because Story Tellers Also can add Patriotism (Base Culture) to keep an encroaching foreign culture at bay. Story Teller line of units are Not just used for Education any more!

Current game I have a city under Cultural seige from a Strong Advanced AI. The only way I can keep my City from flipping Culturally to this AI is by employing almost 20 Story Tellers with Patriotism promotions instead of Education promo.

I do not know if this Patriotism is described in the Civilopedia or not. But the Patriotism Promo for Story Tellers line of units has increased the usage for Story Tellers thru out the game's play now.

How did I learn this, by checking why the AI was using more Story Tellers than me (and I generally, before this investigation, use as many as my treasury will allow). And that it seemed my efforts to culturally flip adjacent city tiles was getting harder and harder to do. So I went into WB and checked out a few of the AI's City units, in particular Story Tellers.

One of my 2 Test games the only way I'm surviving Culturally (surrounded on 3 sides by advanced AI, both Science and Culture wise they are, is to ramp up ST usage with the Patriotism promo. I have also built every Culture giving building as well that I can. Even at the cost of production to a point.

Not A Bug!

Because Story Tellers Also can add Patriotism (Base Culture) to keep an encroaching foreign culture at bay. Story Teller line of units are Not just used for Education any more!

Current game I have a city under Cultural seige from a Strong Advanced AI. The only way I can keep my City from flipping Culturally to this AI is by employing almost 20 Story Tellers with Patriotism promotions instead of Education promo.

I do not know if this Patriotism is described in the Civilopedia or not. But the Patriotism Promo for Story Tellers line of units has increased the usage for Story Tellers thru out the game's play now.

How did I learn this, by checking why the AI was using more Story Tellers than me (and I generally, before this investigation, use as many as my treasury will allow). And that it seemed my efforts to culturally flip adjacent city tiles was getting harder and harder to do. So I went into WB and checked out a few of the AI's City units, in particular Story Tellers.

One of my 2 Test games the only way I'm surviving Culturally (surrounded on 3 sides by advanced AI, both Science and Culture wise they are, is to ramp up ST usage with the Patriotism promo. I have also built every Culture giving building as well that I can. Even at the cost of production to a point.
Screenshot_3.png
Check screenshot again pls O; Is there any rival borders close to ai's city? I dont see any. So it cant be culture protection as reason to build so many story tellers.

Nice that you've found that to be a helpful side to what they can do! I've wondered how much play they'll get on that ability. I'm glad you were able to see and strategically make use of this. Not sure how much the AI can but if we see culture warfare becoming more intense, you can bet we'll make sure they know how to. I think that there WAS a major overtraining problem with them so it may have been incidental that they had so many where you were trying to culture conquer, but if that helped you to see how valuable they can be in this regard, that's really cool, IMO. It's an under-appreciated ability I think and they've gone, ironically, unsung in this regard.

@Thunderbrd @dmeyster

Screenshots of one of my cities that has lost many adjacent tiles to Superior AI Culture. This city has 27 STs of which 25 are using the Patriot Promo. Notice that the bar denoting culture inside the city screen shows that the Babylonians have more Culture influence than I do. I stabilized the rapid decline at it's current level or 37 by using this many STs on Patriot Promo. From past experience if this Culture bar gets below 23-25% I will lose this city to the Babylonians. I need it to get it back above 50% to even start to reclaiming adjacent tiles. Big task in this situation!

I have no idea if I can start to reverse the damage as he has acquired tiles in my Fat X up to my main city tile. The Fort to the right of the city was mine ( a palisade at that time) but he overwhelmed the defenders with Bandit riders and Footpads. Then moved regular military in to hold it. (screenshot 3) The fort is exerting pressure on my city just as if it were an adjacent city. I have Realistic Culture Spread Option On. This too has an effect exerting pressure to hold a tile culture wise.
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG

Huh. Looks like some of my "cultural imperialism" drives. I've been worried that you folks would manage to teach the AI how to use these tactics, and it looks like you've managed it. Games are going to start getting mighty interesting, it seems...

hey guys,
this is a great mod. I've played FFH2, Sengoku, RFC/E, etc but this is amazing and very addicting.

I've played about 7 games now. I've not got past Renaissance (I really want to see tech tree...) but won by culture and domination and diplo so now have those disabled. Current game is Emperor and I'm having CTDs that I could reproduce.

Good news, the new "Graphics paging" option saves about 30% of RAM memory usage (with bigger maps, more RAM saving), and it should remove virtually all MAF errors. It replaces the Viewports system. This system can be activated in BUG Options screen. It should be auto-activated by default. There should NOT be any crashes (besides MAFs) also recently there has been some crashes to desktop, but that's all you have to do is use autosave and use FIRST entry there and then everything should be fine (just glitches is all), i have looked and looked trying to make it as stable as possible, but if there is pls report and we will try to figure it out and let me know, thx. (See post # 6, para 8)

Settings include: this game is on v40.0, graphics paging on, normal game speed, prehistoric start, C2C_planet_generator (tiny 72x48), surround and destroy (first time I've used this - love it - but also first patch of CTDs), developing leaders, peace among NPC, WFL, beeline stings, unrestricted leader.
Computer: W10, i7 3.4GHz, 12 GB RAM, 1GB video card
(Side question - what is the best map that is recommended - are there multi-layer space maps like Civ II ToT that I unlock at higher tech? sorry I've looked in threads for this but I am uncertain and again have not gotten that far in a game)

I had a bunch of CTDs around 1AD and just kept trying autosave until that resolved. I did nothing on the turns until it did. It seemed talking to other nations then was a culprit.
Now around 1205 AD I've had another bunch. Kept crashing reproducibly 1205. The one thing I did that just got me past 1205 as I'm typing this post was preventing discovery of Islam and Voodoo on the same turn, both of which went (surprisingly) into the same city that already had 3 religions founded. Attached save. Currently I got to 1213- saved - and about to continue (fingers crossed).

Here are a few other things I've seen.
-twice I've been given the trireme quest. Both times it came after I had researched shipbuilding so the quest was not possible.
-The Famen Temple wonder says "100% success" for missionaries. This is incorrect as I've had multiple failures - or does it only apply to state religion?

Thank you again all. Great mod!

Attachments

• Seven VIII AD-1205 Holy x 5.CivBeyondSwordSave
    4.1 MB · Views: 51
Top Bottom