Single Player bugs and crashes v40 plus (SVN) - After Oct 2019

Hoping someone can help as I've only just reached a point when I can start exploring the spacial section of the map and my game which has been running pretty well has now decided to get stuck. I'm playing using one of the default scenarios, the large solar system one and at year 1606 AD the game seems to go into an infinite loop....or so I can only assume due to no error message or CTD occurring. When trying to open task manager Civ 4 hogs the screen still, but on the preview tabs is does state "not responding". I've not changed any setting from the default set by the scenario. Hopefully the attached save will help with any other questions, I've also not installed any modmods.

Attachments

• AutoSave_September 4, AD-1595.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.9 MB · Views: 52
Hoping someone can help as I've only just reached a point when I can start exploring the spacial section of the map and my game which has been running pretty well has now decided to get stuck. I'm playing using one of the default scenarios, the large solar system one and at year 1606 AD the game seems to go into an infinite loop....or so I can only assume due to no error message or CTD occurring. When trying to open task manager Civ 4 hogs the screen still, but on the preview tabs is does state "not responding". I've not changed any setting from the default set by the scenario. Hopefully the attached save will help with any other questions, I've also not installed any modmods.
Update to SVN 11131 (last one before savebreaking changes).

https://github.com/caveman2cosmos/Caveman2Cosmos/wiki/Using-SVN

@Toffer90, @raxo2222, @MattCA

Thank you guys for being diligent and on top of these things. We don't tell our Team mates often enough that we really do appreciate their work. I appreciate it very much. Again Thank You. :D

Thank you for the suggestion raxo2222, unfortunately after applying the SVN, loading my save and letting it do the DLL changes and whatnot it failed at the same place. Whatever is causing the problem is not addressed on that SVN.

I'm reluctant to install the most recent SVN as you've stated that's savebreaking which means starting all over again only to possibly get stuck in a similar place? Do you know what is causing the issue, or in other words would installing the latest SVN help?

Thank you for the suggestion raxo2222, unfortunately after applying the SVN, loading my save and letting it do the DLL changes and whatnot it failed at the same place. Whatever is causing the problem is not addressed on that SVN.

I'm reluctant to install the most recent SVN as you've stated that's savebreaking which means starting all over again only to possibly get stuck in a similar place? Do you know what is causing the issue, or in other words would installing the latest SVN help?
Well it won't be retroactively fixed, so you can start new game on latest SVN as well.
In this case if you get infinite loop again, then it will be fixed.

No I can understand an older version would not be fixed. I guess I'm looking for assurance that you (or someone) knows what may have been causing the loop and that it has been fixed?

Plus as I'm pretty clueless with the SVN situation, now that I've pulled 11131 into the empty folder as advised can I pull the latest version into the same folder, or would I need to delete and then re-download the latest SVN? (Edit: think I've figured this out myself)

Either way I will need to start again and hope for the best? (Edit: assuming I have updated correctly, it may be some time before I get back to where I was!)

Last edited:
No I can understand an older version would not be fixed. I guess I'm looking for assurance that you (or someone) knows what may have been causing the loop and that it has been fixed?

Plus as I'm pretty clueless with the SVN situation, now that I've pulled 11131 into the empty folder as advised can I pull the latest version into the same folder, or would I need to delete and then re-download the latest SVN? (Edit: think I've figured this out myself)

Either way I will need to start again and hope for the best? (Edit: assuming I have updated correctly, it may be some time before I get back to where I was!)
Yeah, once you have SVN setup you can simply update it.
Also you need to start new game.

Hello, I have version 11142 (since in 11143 the Alternate Earth Map was re-uploaded and some of the original terrains were disabled, and I started my game on an earlier version).
I have some local changes, namely, I have logic that makes Emancipation Proclamation work, the Great Farmer fix, I have disabled the burnt forest logic and I have the no latitude restrictions modmod, please see attached patch (local.txt -- the .patch extension is not allowed on this forum).
My game now constantly crashes after I end turn on this save. I attach the minidump too, in case it helps.

Can someone please help me find (and hopefully cure) this issue?

P.S. Also, previously I had a similar issue, wherein I had a really huge number of Park Rangers in my cities (to reduce pollution), and at some point the game crashed. Could there be a soft unit limit?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Logs4.rar
    420.2 KB · Views: 29
  • QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.1 MB · Views: 76
  • Minidump.rar
    19.5 KB · Views: 31
  • local.txt
    257.4 KB · Views: 43
P.S. Also, previously I had a similar issue, wherein I had a really huge number of Park Rangers in my cities (to reduce pollution), and at some point the game crashed. Could there be a soft unit limit?
Yes. And I am aware that there is a problem with the mechanism that is intended to limit how reactive the AI is with units to solve out of control properties. It's possible you are experiencing memory crashes. But your minidump looks like it may have memory so maybe that's not the issue. Problem is I'm not setup to look into crashes at the moment.

Update: I actually stopped producing Park Rangers, and that helps avoid the crash. Then I tried to pinpoint the number of PR's that makes the game break -- it's around 6950.

Update: I actually stopped producing Park Rangers, and that helps avoid the crash. Then I tried to pinpoint the number of PR's that makes the game break -- it's around 6950.
Oh... it was your own unit overload! lol... yeah that's very possible in the later portion of the game.

Thing is, I'm doing a "fun run". I know, it's not the way this game is meant to be played, but I have a blast just going through the eras with this mod, and sometimes beating on barbs or bullying low-tech AIs, and of course building everything everywhere -- because why not :) . I understand that it might not really be the way to play, but I never really play to win, just to have fun. So I don't really want to be selective, I want to understand, how high can I go with the units, and if it's possible for me to make more (in theory). Are the Rangers causing the crash, or just the unit count in general?

Thing is, I'm doing a "fun run". I know, it's not the way this game is meant to be played, but I have a blast just going through the eras with this mod, and sometimes beating on barbs or bullying low-tech AIs, and of course building everything everywhere -- because why not :) . I understand that it might not really be the way to play, but I never really play to win, just to have fun. So I don't really want to be selective, I want to understand, how high can I go with the units, and if it's possible for me to make more (in theory). Are the Rangers causing the crash, or just the unit count in general?
Unit count in general but Rangers aren't supposed to be enough at this stage - you're supposed to be heavily challenged by pollution and unavoidably so at this point. Later techs will make it possible to get on top of the problem.

when we start a game, we have to save-exit and then reload to avoid the layering issue

but this was fixed in a earlier version and is back again?

Units with no moves left can still load on transports. I'm calling this a bug now because it means they can quite easily get virtually infinite movement, every single one of your transports can transport the same unit in one turn.

It was done so that captives who get zero movement when captured can still be evaced. I can't think of a reason offhand why those captives should not get moves, so that would be the solution.

Could someone please repair Automated Hunt? My ships have 100% success chance against fishes but they just don't attack. Same thing goes for hunters on land. This has worked in the past (but months ago) but now the function is absolutely useless - the units just walk around and do not attack. It really would avoid a ton of micromanagement when e.g. boats would automatically hunt again.

Top Bottom