Six-Months War; Take 4

I've decided to join as the Ottoman Empire, just to see how far I get. :p

And thus, my first course of action:

To: All Concerned Parties

I send this message not as a threat to the Arab people. All nations denouncing this Sultan's Empire must understand something. I am not being unreasonable in denying Hedjaz its freedom as a nation. I fear that releasing them will ignite the powder keg that will implode the entire empire. If I allow the Arabs of Hedjaz to form their nation, I must then deal with the Jews, every other Arab, and the Armenians. And if I am forced to grant them freedom, I will have to deal with disgruntled Georgians, Greeks, and perhaps even the people of Karaman. Is Rum to be the only piece of the Empire I am allowed rule? Would this outcome not upset the balance and stability of the region many times over?

This is why I reject this rebellion. The Ottomans are not tyrannical, but we will not allow our country of thousands of years in the making to suddenly implode to please the few in Hedjaz who decided to wrongfully take up arms when no injustice has been done to them. We may have considered releasing Hedjaz as a protectorate with nearly complete autonomy if they had peacefully requested to be free as a nation with a majority of the people supporting the notion. But this? There is no reason to believe this rebellion has the majority in their support. And they fired upon military outposts with no provocation. They willingly killed military personnel and destroyed several outposts for no reason other than to make their nation independent from Ottoman governance without so much as a peaceful request. Instead of waiting for a peaceful solution to even be discussed, they attack during the conference which had the purpose of doing just that. It is evident they don't want peaceful solutions. We did not fire the first bullet, but unless this unjust rebellion stands down we will surely fire the last.

Edit: I was under the impression that these peace talks took place this turn, and apparently that's that the case. I am gonna have to revise this.

Edit Edit: Upon reading the previous two updates more thoroughly, all I've said still holds true. In fact, I can add more. :D

To: Germany

The Sultan formally thanks the Kaiser for his support in his decision.

From Greece
To those concerned about the Ottoman Empire:

The Ottoman Empire is a multinational state, so if you try to divide the Ottoman Empire based on ethnic populations, then there will be no Ottoman Empire.

"Free" and being brutally exploited by the Japanese Colonial Empire.:rolleyes:

To: Japan

Why? So you can include them in your own sphere of influence?
Such outright lies about Japanese policy are not only demeaning to you, but an insult to Dai Nippon. You treat the native population in Indonesia as subjects. All men are created equal, and deserve equality under the law.

Such outright lies about Japanese policy are not only demeaning to you, but an insult to Dai Nippon. You treat the native population in Indonesia as subjects. All men are created equal, and deserve equality under the law.

Which is exactly where we are going. If you will criticize us about our supposed ignorance, then do not be ignorant yourself.

To: Ottoman Empire, Germany, Arabia
CC: All Other Concerned Parties

Be that as it may, the Ottoman Empire has been granted ample opportunity to present its plan on how to deal with Arab minorities within its territory. The Sultan of Rome, nor anyone else who has been involved in the ongoing dispute, should not be surprised that the Arab people have taken up arms in the name of freedom. There exists now an Arab nation, governed by the Sultan of the House of al-Saud, ready to take in these erstwhile subjects of Turkish rule. It would seem natural to all the involved parties that Arab land ought to be turned over to Arab governance, if only to ensure the stability of the region. Generalissimo Estardo and the foreign office understand however the Sultan's concern that any concessions to Arab nationalists will only result in further instability. Therefore Spain, as evidently the only party so far willing to speak to reason on behalf of the Arab cause, asks the Ottoman Empire and her allies how they propose the question of Arab self-determination be answered in a way that will ensure the future peace and stability of the Middle East. We welcome input from all other parties on this matter, despite the ongoing silence from our friends in Europe.

From Greece
To those concerned about the Ottoman Empire:

The Ottoman Empire is a multinational state, so if you try to divide the Ottoman Empire based on ethnic populations, then there will be no Ottoman Empire.

You don't say. :hammer2:

To: Second Spanish Empire & All Concerned Parties

Like said previously, I am willing to release Hedjaz. But not to join with the current Arabian nation and not completely free. The highest independence we will give the Arabs in Hedjaz is that of a protectorate. They will be able to govern themselves nearly completely, but we will still represent the foreign interests of the Ottoman Empire, including the would-be country of Hedjaz. Exact details on the amount of independence can be discussed after the rebels lay down their weapons. Active fighting while talking of peace is a joke in itself.

But, if as a result of this new Ottoman protectorate other parties decide they wish to be independent, all observing parties must observe the Ottoman Empire's right to deny them this request. And if they take up arms, said observing parties must also observe the Empire's right to defend its domestic interests.

To: Ottoman Empire
CC: All Concerned Parties

This is acceptable to us in principle. We believe that the release of Hedjaz as a semi-sovereign entity is a positive step forward towards peace and stability between the Ottoman Empire, its Arab subjects, and the nation of Saudi Arabia. If it is acceptable to the concerned parties, we propose that Spain be permitted to effectively administrate and maintain the independent Hedjaz region until such a time as the Ottoman Empire and the House of al-Saud are willing to nominate, support or otherwise present a native governor that they believe is a neutral party. Under this arrangement, until such a time came about, Spain as a neutral and impartial mediator would administrate the region with the help of native officials and the legitimacy of international mandate.

To: All Those Involved

While no one can doubt the impartiality and ability of Spain, we feel that their current alliance with the House of Saud would make their proposed administration of the Hedjaz counterproductive. Furthermore, we see little reason for the transitional administration suggested. The Ottoman Empire will be perfectly capable of administering the region until it is prepared to be passed off to the control of an autonomous government.

Needless to say, all talks of peaceful solution are reliant on the end of the Arab revolt. No moves towards an autonomous Hedjaz can be taken until there is peace and stability in the region. Whether this comes about through the rebellious tribes ending their revolt against the Sultan, their rightful ruler, or through the military defeat of said tribes is entirely up to them. Furthermore, it is necessary for the House of Saud to disavow earlier statements concerning their "unlimited support" for these unruly tribes. Otherwise, we will continue to view Saudi Arabia as a rouge state with little place in any civilized diplomacy that pertains to the future of the Hedjaz.

To: All Concerned Parties

The Sultan echoes Germany on its statement. So long as the rebels disperse, we should have no problem governing Hedjaz. Before now, it never was a problem; when, or if rather, the rebels disperse we should have no problem governing until the transition. The House of Saud retracting its statement of support for these rebels is also a given if these peace talks are going to be serious.

To: Germany, Ottoman Empire
CC: Concerned Parties

We would regard the cession of the Hedjaz region to Spanish administration for a period of time to be determined until the nomination of a native government as a demonstration of good faith on the part of the Ottoman Empire towards the negotiation process and towards the future peace. Similarly, we agree it is absolutely necessary that the House of al-Saud renounce its support for the illegal military rebellion in Arabia and denounce its leadership. However, these negotiations cannot move forward if both parties do not make these steps (or ones that are similar in character) towards compromise.

To: Spain

You seem to not understand our meaning. Having Spain, an ally of the House of Saud, govern the Hedjaz would imply support for a union between the region and Saudi Arabia, a sentiment that runs counter to the nature of the solution proposed. A completely neutral third party would be the only one capable of administering the region to a satisfactory degree. While such neutral states exist, there are none in this situation who are powerful enough to carry out such a task. Therefore, since any transition period would be relatively short and almost solely involve the Ottoman Empire, we see no logical reason why the territory should be handed over to any other state.

To: Ottoman Empire, Spain, Germany

Ibn Saud only initially supported the Arab patriots in the Hedjaz because the Ottoman regime appeared unwilling to make any compromises. The House of al-Saud now, however, gives its full support to the Spanish plan, and expects all that all Arabs in the Hedjaz would also find this plan more than acceptable and cause enough to cease their rebellion, and we therefore retract our support for the Arab patriots in the region. Saudi Arabia wishes for only cooperation with the Germans and the Turks, but only if our voice and the voice of the Arab people are treated equally in matters which so intimately concern us.

OOC: I'm guessing we find out if the Arab rebels stand down come next update?

Orders sent

CC: Involved Parties

On the contrary, it is our belief that because Spain is an ally to the House of al-Saud but by no means an enemy to the Ottoman Empire that Spain is in the best position to administer the Hedjaz. Whereas we may be allies to Saudi Arabia, we have only a vested interest in the stability and peace of the region, not an active sponsorship of the Arab state to the detriment of the general peace. Whatever cynical and exploitative means that may be ascribed to our motivations, they are entirely commercial, not political. We pledge no favoritism or allegiance to either side, and would be glad to sign a similar alliance with the Ottoman Empire should that demonstrate our neutrality.

To: The Ottoman Empire
CC: Spain, Saudi Arabia, Germany

We feel that the Spanish proposal for the Hedjaz is the best for the security of the region, and we would support a Spanish administrated Hedjaz.

CC: Involved Parties

On the contrary, it is our belief that because Spain is an ally to the House of al-Saud but by no means an enemy to the Ottoman Empire that Spain is in the best position to administer the Hedjaz. Whereas we may be allies to Saudi Arabia, we have only a vested interest in the stability and peace of the region, not an active sponsorship of the Arab state to the detriment of the general peace. Whatever cynical and exploitative means that may be ascribed to our motivations, they are entirely commercial, not political. We pledge no favoritism or allegiance to either side, and would be glad to sign a similar alliance with the Ottoman Empire should that demonstrate our neutrality.

To: Nations involved in the Hedjaz dispute

Should the Ottomans agree to the Spanish proposal and request alliance with Spain, Ibn Saud would likewise be willing to welcome the Ottoman Empire into the Pact of the Crescent, to assuage any Ottoman fears about their Empire's security.

To: United Kingdom, members of the Commonwealth

It is our wish to wonder if the members of the Commonwealth would be amenable to the possibility of dropping all tariffs between us. This would create a great trading zone for all of us, that would ensure that anything either of us produces will find a buyer and every need either of us has can be satisfied.

Top Bottom