Six-Months War; Take 4

The Andean Republic delegation and exposition will include:

A Celebration of Andean History and Our Modern Culture

Information on the Chuquicamata Copper Mine and the modern techniques used to mine this important metal.

Captain and crew of the Chilean entry into the yacht racing events on the St. Lawrence River:

Maps and pictures of the new North-South railroad:

Link to video.

An exhibit on The Mystery of Incan Gold

Along with many gold artifacts that will be on display, we will include the latest on the mysterious missing treasure hoard of last Incan emperor with talks by leading treasure hunters.

Many generations of adventurers have sought Atahualpa’s gold, but the mountains of the Llanganates have refused to surrender their secret. Here is a short timeline of clues that may lead you to the treasure:

Several decades after the death of Atahualpa, an impoverished Spanish adventurer named Valverde marries an Inca princess from the area. She is said to have led him to the treasure, because Valverde becomes unaccountably wealthy and returns to Spain, supposedly having removed only a small amount from the hoard.

When he lay dying Valverde writes an itinerary which has come to be know as Valverde’s Derrotero – Valverde’s Path. The document describes various Llanganates landmarks which will lead one to the treasure. On his death, Valverde bequeaths the document to King Charles V of Spain.

King Charles sends Valverde’s Derrotero to provincial authorities in Latacunga, a town near the Llanganates mountains. These officials then undertake an expedition and apparently stumble onto something extremely promising. But their leader, a Franciscan monk named Father Longo, mysteriously vanishes one night. The hunt is abandoned for the next hundred years.

In the late 1700s, a miner named Don Atanasio Guzmán, who worked the old Inca mines in the Llanganates, manages to draft a detailed treasure map. But before he can claim his prize he too disappears in the mountains. The treasure is forgotten until….

1860 when a British botanist named Richard Spruce, while doing research in the archives at Latacunga, stumbles upon Valverde’s Derrotero, and the map drawn by Guzman. Spruce publishes this information in the Journal of Royal Geographical Society in 1860. This article, entitled Notes of a Botanist on the Amazon and Andes, rekindles the treasure fever. The accumulated weight of Guzmán’s map, Spruce’s notes, and a translation of Valverde’s Derrotero into English sets off a small stampede of English-speaking explorers.

In 1886, working with Spruce, a pair of treasure hunters from Nova Scotia reportedly solve the riddle of Valverde’s Derrotero and find the treasure. Their names are Captain Barth Blake and Lieutenant George Edwin Chapman.

Blake makes maps of the region and sends letters to a friends. In one of the letters Blake writes…

It is impossible for me to describe the wealth that now lays in that cave marked on my map, but I could not remove it alone, nor could thousands of men….There are thousands of gold and silver pieces of Inca and pre-Inca handicraft, the most beautiful goldsmith works you are not able to imagine, life-size human figures made out of beaten gold and silver, birds, animals, cornstalks, gold and silver flowers. Pots full of the most incredible jewelry. Golden vases full of emeralds.

So, why didn’t Blake and Chapman claim the treasure? Because Chapman didn’t survive the journey out of the mountains and Blake fell overboard on a trip to North America to sell the gold they’d taken from the cave.

The Curse of Atahualpa’s Gold

You’ve already read about some of the victims of the treasure’s curse; Father Longo, Guzman, Chapman and Blake. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg:

In the mid-1910s a Scotsman named Erskine Loch mounted two disastrous treasure hunts in the Llanganates. During the first expedition, porters deserted Loch and violent rains dogged him for 37 out of 39 days.On his second trip, Loch’s party ran out of food and fell to hallucinations. “The country ahead,” Loch wrote in his book, Fever, Famine, and Gold, “had spur after spur of precipitous rock faces descending into raging torrents below. Everything we stood upon, everything we clutched gave way under us.” Soon after the book’s publication, Loch shot himself.

Yet others kept coming – and dying. In the early 1920s, an American known in local accounts as “Colonel Brooks” established a bank in Ecuador and then got the treasure bug. On his first trip into the mountains his porters mutinied. Later Brooks decided to take his wife to the Llanganati for a “romantic getaway”, but they were promptly greeted by torrential rains. She died of pneumonia, and he ended up in a madhouse in New York – muttering wildly, one imagines, about gold and silver and emeralds.
And just last year Bob Holt was an American geologist from Arizona who had worked with various oil and gold-mining companies in the Andes. On his first treasure expedition into the Langanati Holt slipped and fell on a sharp broken tree trunk. It stabbed him directly through the heart.

To: Quebec

We will attempt to send a delegation, though social turmoil may limit or all together prevent such a move.

We, too, will send an athletic and industrial delegation to Montreal.

We will send a delegation to this expo, with one of our monoplane fighters.

The Treaty of Lecce

The Kingdom of Italy, The Second Spanish Empire, and The Kingdom of Greece hereby agree to the following terms...

• The ending of hostilities between the signatories will be declared immediately.
  • The Kingdom of Greece will cede the following areas to the jurisdiction of the Kingdom of Italy - The Aegean Islands, Crete, and The Ionian Islands.
  • Italy and Spain will aid the Greek Republic against the Communists in anyway asked of them
  • A Non-Aggression Pact lasting for five years will be agreed upon by the signatories.

Signed, Vittorio Emmanuele III, King of Italy, and Egypt, Protector of Albania
and
Antonio Salandra, Prime Minister of The Kingdom of Italy

Signed by the General Staff of the Greek Republican Military

To: The United States of America
From: The Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Colombia
CC: The Andean Republic

We would happily join such an organization. If some nations wish to distance themselves from the economic powerhouse that is the United States of America, then it is there problem, not ours.

We may join in the future, we don't wish to commit just yet.

CC: The Andean Republic

We have no interest in allowing for your "American", economic imperialism to exand.

OOC: Glad to see we already have one official "submission" to the Montreal Expo. I enjoyed it Bird.

When are orders due?

Wilhelmina’s Speech

She stood up at the podium. Never before had so much rested on her shoulders. But here she was. After more than a month touring the country, Queen Wilhelmina had arrived at her final stop at the city centre of Batavia, capital of the Dutch East Indies. Now, as she stood before a crowd of some nearly ten thousand, she began her speech.

“People of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. As you may have heard on the news recently, there has been considerable unrest brewing here in the Dutch East Indies. As the oppressive laws of the past have been removed, the general populace has been eager to capitalize on their new rights. Perhaps a little too eager.

Change is necessary for our state to survive into the future. But at the same time we must be careful about change. Doing too little will cause stagnation as our nation falls further and further behind, while doing too much, too quickly will cause unrest and chaos, as everyone becomes unsure of what to do with all those new laws, as we have seen in the mass strikes culminating from the dismantling of the caste system. Now, the racial caste system was very discriminatory and oppressive, and we are not saying that it was a good thing, but slowly down the transition would have definitely made things much calmer and easier for the nation as a whole.

Merchants, landowners, aristocrats, you have long been the upper class, the favoured class in colonial society. You have grown very rich indeed, and we cannot deny that you played a major part in growing our economy here. But at the same time you have also been brutally exploiting the natives here, practically starving them in order to reap as much profit as possible. And now, the workers are striking against you, rightfully too, as they are being worked almost to death to have barely enough to live on. But it doesn’t have to be like this. Your companies and ventures are extremely wealthy, and they have been very well off until very recently. Surely you can spare some of that wealth to help the labourers, the people who have been toiling all their lives to make you rich? Remember that none of this could have been possible without the hard work of the people. We believe that if you pay the workers a fair wage and give them fair working conditions, everyone will benefit in the long run. A worker who is satisfied with his job will be far more productive than one who has been forced into it. He will actually try to help the company to succeed, rather than simply do what is required. A wealthier populace will be able to purchase more goods, a market that you will be able to capitalize on. You regularly take out loans to invest, hurting your finances in the short run for growth in the long run. Think of this the same way; a short-term drop in revenue as part of increased wages for long term prosperity.

Workers, labourers, since the beginning of time you have been the oppressed lower class, who toil day and night while the higher classes live in the lap of luxury. Only now have you begun to experience what it means to be free and not oppressed as the puppets of the aristocrats. We understand that you must be excited to finally have protection under the law, and are eager to carry out your new rights. But you must understand that the overall stability of the realm is important as well. We acknowledge that you are rightfully demanding proper wages and working conditions, and we will not stop you from demanding them. But do not go too far; things like strikes can only go on for so long before they start having serious adverse effects. Do not worry; we will not stop in our social reforms here in the Dutch East Indies, but we would wish you to act responsibly with your new rights, and not force us to rethink it by destabilizing the country.

Indonesian nationalists, for years you have demanded reforms, and finally, they have come. Yet you never seem to be satisfied; even after we abolished the old caste system, you continue to demand more and more reforms. Be patient; they will come, at a pace that will allow society to transition smoothly into a new order. Eventually, all people in the Netherlands as a whole will be equal under the law. And yes, we will crack down on all those who break our laws. That includes everyone, from the factory owners to you.

The last couple of years have been turbulent here in the Dutch East Indies. But progress is progress, and we cannot let our precious gains go. Let us learn from the past, build on the present, and look towards an ever-brightening future!”

The crowd was silent for a moment. Then, a wave of applause spread throughout as the queen bowed down and left the stage.

Nice story!

Just so everyone is aware, I'd like to get orders in by this Wednesday or Thursday. Which is also the last day of class for the semester, so depending how I feel about the finals (and how much I should study for them :p), I can hopefully get the update out by Friday. So far we only have one submission for the Montreal Expo, so thus far Bird, it looks like you're going to run away with the prize.

From Belgium
To Luxembourg

The King of the Belgians proposes a royal marriage between the crown prince of Belgium, Leopold, and Charlotte of Luxembourg.

Our sportsmen and artists will attend the Montreal International Exposition of 1925, as part of the British Empire. The people will be marvelled at the magnificence of the works in the Beltway, the National Radio System, the town of Coober Pedy, the ANTAS planes and dirigibles and, of course, our varied and exotic wildlife.

Just to inform you all, I changed my nation to Ecuador.

Italy hereby announces its intention to attack and annex the nation of Ecuador to officially start Italian colonization of South America

OOC: This trolling of Christos is getting to be seriously annoying. TLK, don't you claim to stop all of this OOC stuff? They are obviously only attacking and messing with Christos' nations because they are being played by him. Greece, okay. The China clique, now Spain was making threats halfway across the world and generally not making sense just to make up reasons to deal with Christos aggressively. And now ZD, serious or not, is trolling Christos as Ecuador. If all of this isn't OOC, then I honestly don't know what can be considered OOC anymore.

Italy hereby announces its intention to attack and annex the nation of Ecuador to officially start Italian colonization of South America
Moderator Action: Stop this kind of trolling. If this is just to post an annoying OOC post, we don't need it. If it is a real DoW, then put it in a game related context accept the consequences.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Arya

Invading Greece was totally in character. You can't expect me to let a nation message my dominions and ask them to go to war with me, coupled with invasions to be left unresponded.

The Greece situation was perfectly IC, from as far as I could see it. LoE had expressed to me before the Chinese Civil War his intensions upon trying to seize Hainan (Imperial property is hard to come by these days) and refered to it many times before christos took over. None of the comments have been over the line, and all have been clearly OOC. If christos has a direct issue with some of these fake declarations of war, he can voice that, and I will see to it that they stop. Past that, I try not to involve myself in the OOC interactions of my players unless I see it to be absolutely necessary. Which I don't at this point, and should Italy really try to attack Ecuador, I would prevent that from happening. I assure you and christos you don't have to worry about Italy doing such a thing, as the comment was clearly OOC, and I would never allow for ZD or any other player to act on it.

For the sake of this escalating, I recommend we all save our angst for future confrontations.

Do you need orders from me liz

:'(

I guess I'll hire you again, fine.

But you're on the thinnest of ice.

Top Bottom