So, PieDiePie said the n-word.

Ryika

Lazy Wannabe Artista
Yes, he did. What does that mean for the race-relations of the USA?

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves I guess. Better start at the very beginning.

In a recent live stream, as he got annoyed he called his opponent a "f-word n-word", not as a joke, no, it slipped out of his mouth. He immediately realized his error, but of course that does not absolve him from what he did, and it clearly showed the racist person that he is deep inside.

Hopefully in line with the forum rules (let's pray that I'm interpreting them right this one time!), I will link, not even embed, a reupload of the part in question below a spoiler to make sure everybody has the full context, but please be aware that the f-word and the n-word are both used in the video. The f-word a lot more often than just once, but it's the n-word that really sticks out. Do not click the video if hearing the f-word or the n-word cause you emotional stress. You have been warned.

Spoiler :
Again, do not click this link if hearing the f-word or the n-word cause you emotional stress. PewDiePie does say the n-word with a hard r, if you cannot handle that, do not click the link below!
Spoiler :
This is your last warning! Stop now if hearing the f-word or the n-word cause you emotional distress!
Spoiler :
Fine, here's the video. Click this link at your own risk.

Worse though, I had a look at his youtube subscribers on socialblade, and they're only going up, up, up, even now that he has been called out for saying the n-word by pretty much any news outlet or gaming magazine that is worth it's money. It's like people don't care at all. If this is not clear proof that we live in a white supremacist world where anti-black rhetoric is normalized, and black people are just bodies to be spit on or called the n-word whenever a white youtuber with millions of followers feels like it, then I don't know what is. With so many white people following this individual, and being this blind to their own biases, I fear race relations are only going to get worse.

It is pretty disgraceful that such a disgusting individual is still allowed to broadcast his hateful views on youtube. The Wallstreet Journal was right on calling him out, and I feel ashamed that I did not understand this back then.

I'm not sure whether to be embarrassed or not since I had to google just who the heck this clown is.

I'm not sure whether to be embarrassed or not since I had to google just who the heck this clown is.
He's the world's best known white supremacist and content creator, the person with the biggest channel on youtube.

What makes is worse, is that his content is mostly targeted at young teenagers, and his viewer base reflects that. He's basically indoctrinating a whole generation into joining the white supremacist army.

He also had a ritual at the end of each video until relatively recently, the "Brofist", which is really just him making the Hitlergruß, but with a fist, instead of a stretched out hand.

He's the world's best known white supremacist and content creator, the person with the biggest channel on youtube.

Well that would explain why I had no clue who he was. Thx. Valessa.

As long as black people are allowed to use the word as a casual form of address but all other people are 'banned' from using it then the current rule on the word is lunatic asylum level stupid.

Firstly, it is indeed racist that one section of society is permitted to use a word while another isn't, no matter how you try to dress this idea up as some kind of ethno-relations point. You don't create equality by permitting inequality. Pretty simple concept really.

Why? Because casual language is inherent, people speak how their friends speak. The only way a non-black person would be immune to using the word would be if they had no black friends, which sounds pretty racist to me. In this scenario "wassup N-word" is as common a phrase as "good morning" or "hi" in some communities. It's incredible how the so-called 'news' agencies, all staffed by people who are supposed to experts in language, do not even credit their readers with the context of the use of the word... so very telling that, oh no, it's not some kind of dedicated pewdiepie witch hunt at all... any excuse eh...

He doesn't say "Wassup N-word." "N-----" is functionally equivalent for him with "assh---" which he calls the person doing the inexplicable thing in the game immediately afterwards.

He doesn't say "Wassup N-word." "N-----" is functionally equivalent for him with "assh---" which he calls the person doing the inexplicable thing in the game immediately afterwards.

So you're saying it would be ok to use the word in a friendly way?

I'm not. Just that that way of excusing some instances of it doesn't apply in this case.

I have no idea who this individual is, but I'm surprised that other people are surprised that there are racist videos on YouTube. You can flag them as hate speech and YT is supposed to remove them for violating the rules, but it doesn't do any good... as I found out when I tried to explain exactly why a particular video posted by a Holocaust-denying woman in Banff is hate speech and in violation of the site's rules. Her video is vile and enough to get her noticed if she'd spewed any of that in a letter to a newspaper editor. But because YT is an American company, I guess they don't care about Canadian hate speech laws even though the video is bad enough to violate YT rules.

For me, if you wouldn't say it out loud standing on the south side of Chicago, you shouldn't be saying it anywhere. Especially on the internet.

Yes, he did. What does that mean for the race-relations of the USA?
That one guy said one stupid and insensitive thing one time? Next to nothing. :sleep:

... it clearly showed the racist person that he is deep inside.

No it doesn't...no more than giving once to hurricane relief would clearly show that he is a good person. If we're going to judge a person, we need more to go on than a single GOTCHA moment.

It is pretty disgraceful that such a disgusting individual is still allowed to broadcast his hateful views on youtube.
Y
Wasn't this a one-time thing? You make it sound like he's broadcasting the Joe Arpaio Show.

For the record, years ago I tried listening to PieDiePie's Let's Plays. However his hailstorm of f-bombs drove me away.

Who is this piediepie? At first i thought it was another Donald Trump alias but obviously i was wrong.

Something stupid happened on youtube?

Oh. Stop watching it, or report if it breaks rules.

As long as black people are allowed to use the word as a casual form of address but all other people are 'banned' from using it then the current rule on the word is lunatic asylum level stupid.

Firstly, it is indeed racist that one section of society is permitted to use a word while another isn't, no matter how you try to dress this idea up as some kind of ethno-relations point. You don't create equality by permitting inequality. Pretty simple concept really.

Why? Because casual language is inherent, people speak how their friends speak. The only way a non-black person would be immune to using the word would be if they had no black friends, which sounds pretty racist to me. In this scenario "wassup N-word" is as common a phrase as "good morning" or "hi" in some communities. It's incredible how the so-called 'news' agencies, all staffed by people who are supposed to experts in language, do not even credit their readers with the context of the use of the word... so very telling that, oh no, it's not some kind of dedicated pewdiepie witch hunt at all... any excuse eh...

I didn't realize a person was immune from consequences from calling a opponent that just because they are black in public. Did Obama and staff go wassup my n... " in interviews? at least I have never heard.

Though admittingly I have always thought this free ticket to be racist if you are said member to be ignorant tripe, I don't think this is universially accepted. In fact, I always thought it was a joke. But then again what people so with private interactions is no relevance of mine. Well neither this youtube person either, but more marginally so as he interacts with the public.

I mean context matters. I might call my teammate a f--- b-- in private but just because I wouldn't do to the same to my grandmother, that isn't hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I think(?) Valessa is being sarcastic.

I am subscribed to videogame Youtubers like Chilled Chaos and SeaNanners (the former of whom tweeted out that PDP's behavior is really not helpful in the aftermath of adpocalypse), put not PDP himself.

Yes, I would say we should take that as a hint that he's probably racist
Is yelling the nastiest word you can think of because somebody trolled you in a vidya game racist or just juvenile? My main concern is that by having someone so prominent in the community causing controversy like this, is that people who rely on YT ad revenue and aren't as juvenile as PDP are going to get nailed for less controversial stuff even more so then they already are.

Top Bottom