1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Speculation: New patch and/or DLC on the 21st of november

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by anandus, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

But the polynesian languages, while similar, are different. For example, Hawaii uses Aloha, while Maori has Kia Ora.

2. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Right now I'd focus on African civs, get Carthage or Ethiopia in there because it is really under represented right now. Zulu would also be decent.

Then I'd go back to Europe, with Dutch Portugal, and a colonization of the world scenario.

As far as expansions, outside of balance and diplomacy and other underlying issues, I would add some new resources, new abilities/buildings, and other bonus content (random events, disasters, better CS options, trade options, vassals, colonization, etc).

I can do without religion (maybe new religious buildings if anything) and Espionage (other than Spy units, point system would be excessive). While I'd like to see those things back in, other areas need to be addressed first and foremost.

3. Pouakai

In a series of recent polls on the topic at 2K forums, Kongo and Zimbabwe were topping the list by a long way, Zulu, Ethiopia and Carthage were far behind. I think we are in need of some new civs, and Kongo / Zimbabwe would make excellent civilizations.

4. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

That's actually quite surprising as I assume the Dutch and the Maya were on the list as well as Zulu and Carthage. I'd be happy to see Zimbabwe in the game, but I'm a little unsure of UU's and leader's and such. I'm fairly good with general history knowledge but there's not going to be anything that the devs can put out from Kongo or Zimbabwe that will make me want to insta-buy because I can't wait to play them. Compared to putting up Shaka Zulu and the impis I'll expect to find it only mildly appealing and I'd be surprised if Zimbabwe had better sales prospects than either Zulu or any of those other three civs I mentioned. We'll see. Personally I think it's unlikely, but I'd be happy to see it for something different as I was with Polynesia.

But I'm still hanging on a distant dream, anybody want a giant BtS style expansion with religion, espionage and improved AI for christmas?

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

There have been so many polls that there's almost a selection bias by now. People who strongly want something vote, while those who are happy with three or four commonly used Civs won't vote. Therefore, those Civs seem unpopular.

6. Pouakai

Regardless of this, there are still favourites doing well, above the newcomers. Here is the last available results - the polls have been closed and we're waiting for the finals

1. (46) Netherlands
    3. (42) Celts, Phoenicia
    4. (37) Maya
    5. (36) Austro-Hungaria
    7. (35) Kongo, Zimbabwe
    8. (34) Portugal
    10. (33) Ethiopia, Inuit
    12. (32) Byzantium, Israel
    14. (29) Nubia, Zulu
    15. (28) Majapahit
    17. (24) Hittites, Sweden
    19. (23) Assyria, Plains Indians
    20. (22) Sumeria
    24. (21) Arawak, Mississipians, Timurids, Viet Nam
    25. (20) Papuan
    27. (19) Koori, Venice
    29. (18) Tibet, Tupi/Guarani
    31. (17) Holy Roman Empire, Morocco
    32. (16) Brazil
    33. (15) Huns
    35. (13) Australia, Nok
    38. (12) Bulgaria, Khmer, Pueblo/Navajo

7. That nerdy kid

That nerdy kid Vampire Slayer Slayer

I would most like to see Majahpahit or Poland, as well as Austria or Hungary, \or Austria-Hungary

8. Pouakai

Poland was originally on the list, but due to mass voting drives by the Polish community (Poland had 18% of the votes, compared to 4% of Portugal, the next closest at the time) it was removed.

9. CivOasis

CivOasis Ahuizotl

It would figure most of the stuff I voted for ended near the bottom.

10. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

But for almost three weeks, it seems that the polish community has kidnapped the autor of this poll:lol:

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Bring Carthage forth! Or the Zulu! Or some African civ!

12. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Also they need to diversify each civ a little more. Right now, too many civs are military biased... you have to give Civs some culture, science, and economic bonuses as well. Not just military units and abilities.

I say three things among UB, UI's, UU's.... for each civ. Maybe expanded abilities...

ie) England (50% more gold for naval trade routes)

13. zomg

zomg Chieftain

I read the first page and then this page.

While I am mildly amused and intriqued as to the progression of the thread from there to here its not enough to read the in between.

So wheres the patch confirmation?????!!?!

14. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

There is no patch confirmation. This thread is simple speculation based on the fact that an image is due to disappear after the 21st. We'll see what happens on that date, but that's all I can say.

15. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Prince

stuck negative bonus is simpler to implement.

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I agree with that. It's also more defensive from a realism perspective (the idea of overcrowding making a more difficult defensive situation). Plus, if it were a -50% penalty, that would be straight forward. Although it would still be more beneficial to have a Knight (9 strength) on top of a Crossbow (6 strength), it would be so devastating to the Knight if attacked that it probably wouldn't make substantive difference.

I would also not just make it so if one unit is destroyed they all are, I would add parallel damage (cut out half the HP of the top unit, cut out half of all).

17. glider1

glider1 Deity

Your ideas are good, but is there any chance we can move the 2UPT/stacking discussion over to the ideas and suggestions forum now considering that the moderators already plucked the discussion out of this forum and put it over there? I'm sitting over there on my own at the 2UPT thread talking to my reflection in the mirror
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=446614
    Cheers

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Woops, thought I was in that thread. My bad :D

19. Keejus

Keejus Prince

I'm pretty sure Plato invented Atlantis as a thought experiment

20. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

Whether Atlantis is a thought experiment by Plato or a mash up of legends resulting from the the Minoan eruption of Thera in 2000 BCE is of little moment to me. I think that it would be an excellent addition to Civ.